PDA

View Full Version : on smoking and drinking

navingulia
March 26th, 2003, 10:56 AM
On Drinking and Smoking

While being brought up, I was lucky to be guided away from tea, smoking and drinking. But I was also curious to know 'why?' Why people start and why they cannot leave? Why we call it an addiction? Here are the facts which I discovered. Some of them maybe hard to accept for people who are into it already but they are true.

Reasons to start smoking/drinking are:-
1. Bad company and adventurism with friends.
2. Style and status symbol.
3. Lack of self confidence.
4. Lack of purpose, determination and goals in life.
5. Arrogance.
6. Simply trying it out.

Why you cannot leave it? Why it is addictive?

Smoking:-
When you inhale the smoke of burning tobacco it reaches the smallest air sacks in your lungs. Here it gets absorbed into the blood along with oxygen. The oxygenated and drugged blood is then pumped to your entire body(evey single cell, tissue and organ). The drug acts as a catalyst and enhances the metabolic reactions. Your body feels more energetic, fresh and capable. The bearing capability of body increases.
This prompts you to continue smoking. After some time your body gets addicted. The metabolism becomes dependent on the catalytic effect of drug. So if you try leaving it, you have fever, headache and vomiting. In other words your whole body is a slave to the drug.

Drinking:-
Drinking is an even worse form of addiction. This time it gets absorbed into your blood along with the nutrients from the digestive system. It puts a tremendous load on the kidneys job of purification(Kidney failure is common). What I despise more about drinking is that I find it very disrespectful and insulting to self to be a person who cannot talk, walk or conduct himself with dignity. I have seen people laughed at, abused and insulted after being in a drunken state. Totally helpless state. I once happened to be in an outdoor party in winters night. A close aquaintance chose to drink liquor while I chose a cup of hot soup. I enjoyed the soup a lot, had a nice evening, went home, did some reading and went to sleep. The person who drank had to be literally carried to his room and bed. He troubled everybody and himself. Even the next day he had a head ache. I would request those who are in the begining phase of it to reconsider and give it up for your own good and for the good of the close ones you love.

yajuvender
March 26th, 2003, 03:46 PM
Interesting analysis..... I agree with you.

shekhar_nehra
March 26th, 2003, 08:51 PM
True Very True!

One more thing, mostly ppl who smoke or drink pick up this habbit when thay are in high-school or early college days. When the tendency to experiment with the new is high.