View Full Version : Gayatri Mantra

dahiya
June 16th, 2003, 09:45 AM
"om bhurbhuvahswahah,
tatsavitur vairanium
bhargo devasaya dhimahi
dhiyoyon nah prachodayat"

Summary of the Mantra

Oh God! Thou art the Giver of Life, Remover of pain and sorrow, The Bestower of happiness, Oh! Creator of the Universe, May we receive thy supreme sin-destroying light, May Thou guide our intellect in the right direction.
Word for Word Meaning of the Mantra

Aum = Brahma ; bhoor = embodiment of vital spiritual energy(pran) ;
bhuwah = destroyer of sufferings ; swaha = embodiment of happiness ;
tat = that ; savitur = bright like sun ; varenyam = best choicest ;
bhargo = destroyer of sins ; devasya = divine ; dheemahi = may imbibe
; dhiyo = intellect ; yo = who ; naha = our ; prachodayat = may inspire ;

Meaning of Gayatri Mantra

Rishis selected the words of various Mantras and arranged them so that they not only convey meaning but also create specific power through their utterance. Gayatri Mantra inspires wisdom. Its meaning is that "May the Almighty God illuminate our intellect to lead us along the righteous path". All the problems of a person are solved if he/she is endowed with the gift of righteous wisdom. Once endowed with far-sighted wisdom, a man is neither entangled in calamity nor does he tread the wrong path. A wise man finds solution to all outstanding problems. Only those persons who do not think correctly find difficulty and take wrong steps due to foolishness. Chanting of
Gayatri Mantra removes this deficiency. The teachings and powers incorporated in the Gayatri Mantra fulfill this purpose. Righteous wisdom starts emerging soon after Jap(recitation) of this Mantra is performed.

OMMMMMMMMMMM

uday
June 16th, 2003, 09:58 AM
NICE POST !!

shokeen123
June 16th, 2003, 07:01 PM
I use this mantra at every step of my life!

preity
June 16th, 2003, 08:32 PM
Very nice! Thanks for sharing.

http://www.godpromise.com/gmantra.html

akdabas
June 16th, 2003, 09:17 PM
Nice post !

Thodi der ke liye to mein bhee dhyan magan ho gaya tha.

rameshlakra
June 16th, 2003, 10:42 PM
thank u sir , indeed a nice post . more of such would be appreciated . the water therapy too was an eye opener to all the chai/ bidii / cigrettee types. we are indeed priviledged to have u here on jatland , a lot of people are going to get benifitted out of ur phiolsphy of simple and clean life.

ranjitjat
June 16th, 2003, 11:11 PM
very nice- Mantara The best of all.
We should teach our children also.

rkumar
June 17th, 2003, 08:34 AM
Thank you Dahiya ji. I agree this Mantra is very essence of Vedic life. I practice this very often. Now that we are talking about Gayatri Manta, I wish to share some interesting information with members. I am not sure how many mamebrs know why this mantra is called Gayatri Mantra. Here is the story behind;

" Lord Brahma was to perform Yagya along with his wife Damyanti. Lord Brahma reached the spot well in time, but Damyanta was busy dressing and was getting delayed. Lord Brahma was getting restless as no yagya could be compelete without wife by side. When there was not much time left and there was still no sign of his wife, Lord Brahma married a Gujjar girl on the spot and purified her with Cow dung three times ( Gay ke gober se teen baar Gaya+tri= Gayatri ). This Gujjar girl was given the name Gayatri. The first mantra which Lord Brahma said during the yagya was called Gayatri mantra." This is what the saying is, but I am sure the reality must be something totally different. And in last, Damyanti cursed Lord Brahma for not waiting and marrying another woman and said he will never have any other temple than at Puskar and will never be worshiped at any other place. So there is only one temple of Lord Brahma in the world.

Rajendra

mbamal
June 17th, 2003, 08:45 AM
thanks dahiya jee and rajendra uncle for very useful information!!

dkumar
June 17th, 2003, 12:20 PM
divine source of energy it is:)....nice inforamation'!

rinu
June 17th, 2003, 05:36 PM
NiCe PoSt........

RiNu

sukhbirhooda
June 18th, 2003, 12:40 AM
Very Nice Info

Sukhbir Hooda

sweet
June 19th, 2003, 12:06 AM
very nice...........................

regards.....

naveenadalal
June 19th, 2003, 07:47 PM
Very Nice Info & Thanks for sharing.
After the " Jap of this Mantra", I always feel peace & using it since my childhood.

dahiya
June 20th, 2003, 01:00 PM
Some more Information about Gayatri Mantra
The mention of Gayatri Mantra is found in all the four Vedas where its essence has been explained repeatedly. The Rig Veda, the oldest of the Vedic scriptures, has mentioned about this mantra in the third chapter or Mandala (iii, 62, 10) . In Sama Veda this mantra has occurred thrice. In Yajur Veda Gayatri Mantra is mentioned thrice. Such is the importance of Gayatri Mantra. This mantra is also referred to as the Mother of Vedas.

The word Gâyatrî is a combination of Sanskrit words, although there is some disagreement in various texts about the exact derivation.

One suggestion is that the word Gâyatrî is made from these two words:
- gâyanath - what is sung, giving of praise
- trâyate (root trai) - preserves, protects, gives deliverance, grants liberation

Another viewpoint suggests that the roots are:
- gaya - vital energies
- trâyate (root trai) - preserves, protects, gives deliverance, grants liberation

Perhaps the root of gâyatrî is indeed gaya, and it is the joyous celebration of the vital energies springing forth which gives rise to the singing of praise known as gâyana.

The word Mantra means instrument of thought, sacred text, or a prayer of praise.

So, the two words "Gâyatrî Mantra" might be translated as: a prayer of praise that awakens the vital energies and gives liberation.

And indeed, this is such a prayer.

vimal_saroha
June 23rd, 2003, 07:53 PM
Thank Q ,for Sharing such a good information
many of us were not aware of the real meaning of this manta ,i do chat this every morning for 15 Minutes and my experince with this mantra is very benificial for my kind of working atmosphere it supports me all the day.

mandysingh
October 1st, 2005, 10:40 PM
Well!!!!...............Great Sir G! i had been reciting this mantra all my childhood days but i feel educated to know abt the meaning, i have got a english version of "Bhagwad Geeta" will share it with u all once i come to know how to post it............mandy singh

raj2rif
October 2nd, 2005, 05:35 AM
Dear Dahiya Ji,
Thanks a lot for posting it. We all need to practice it. I do it in the morning atleast once.

dahiyarules
October 2nd, 2005, 02:01 PM
I remember this by heart. Reminds me of the good old days when my grandfather (nanajee) made me learn it as we went for morning and evening walks through the fields.

I have tried it and it works. Close your eyes, and say it a few times, and you will feel disconnected form the world, and in a very serene and different world of your own. :-)

sanjaysiwach
October 4th, 2005, 04:41 PM
Dear Mr. Op Dahiya ,
Thanks for the info and given us a understaning of gayatri mantra .

please tell us the process/way to recite and time and effects to understand fully.

pilania
October 5th, 2005, 08:11 AM
This is a great Mantra.I have a cd ...Gayatri Mantra:Hymn to the spirit within the fire....artist Rattan Mohan Sharma....this cd has
1: Gayatri Invocation
--2: Introductory Commentary
--3: Pranayam Mantra
--4: Stuti
--5: Gayatri Mantra 108 times
--6: Gayatri Aarati In Chorus
we listen to this cd atleast once a day sometimes 2 times a day...MY 2 years old asks me every morning...mama jai bhagvaan ji song lagao....
Gayatri mantra is very relexing

stokas
October 5th, 2005, 11:15 PM
Dear Mr. Op Dahiya ,
Thanks for the info and given us a understaning of gayatri mantra .
please tell us the process/way to recite and time and effects to understand fully.

Om bhur bhuvah svah tat savitur varenyam
bhargo devasya dhimahi dhiyo yo nah prachodayat

The Gayatri Mantra is one of the oldest available Divine hymns.

The Gayatri Mantra is never chanted for the purposes of material gains, physical or otherwise. Its very invocation concludes with an appeal to the pure consciousness to illumine more our heart and mind. It is a prayer unto the self to unveil itself and come to manifest as pure wisdom in our life.

It has actually been observed that by the repetition of this Gayatri Mantra with the right understanding of its sacred meaning - the ordinary negative tendencies in the human mind can be erased out to a large extent.

It is believed that for any one frightened in the dark, immediate chanting of the Gayatri Mantra is advised to get over the nervousness of the fright. It is also believed that on starting any important and great work, if a person detects some bad omen, that person must immediately sit down and chant eleven times the Gayatri Mantra. If on starting again, he meets with a new set of bad omens, then he is to sit down again and chant this Mantra sixteen times; to remove the effects of the bad omen encountered.

It can be elaborated more deeply - if need be!! :)

Here's one more mantra - again, not for the purposes of material or physical gains, but can be beneficial for a prosperous life - if chanted 3 times daily. Those who chant the Gayatri Mantra can also practice this!!

The Money Mantra:

Om Shreem Heem Shreem
Kamle Kamalalaye
Praseed Praseed
Shreem Heem Shreem
Om Mahalaxmi Namaye