PDA

View Full Version : I feel your pain

latika
February 20th, 2004, 06:36 PM
The ability to appreciate other people's agony is achieved by the same parts of the brain that we use to experience pain for ourselves.

When we encounter a painful stimulus, such as an electric shock, signals travel from the site of the stimulus up to the brain. This is then translated into both a physical and an emotional response.

Tania Singer, an imaging neuroscientist at University College London, and her colleagues performed an experiment to see whether any parts of this process happens in the brains of people who aren't experiencing the pain themselves, but are simply empathizing with someone who is.

The study shows that empathy works by tapping into a brain mechanism that already exists for our own pain, says Singer. This makes us believe we are feeling pain emotionally even when we are not feeling it physically.

The emotional activity was stronger in some people than in others. The response seemed to be greater in those with a stronger emotional bond, says Singer. "It is very heavy for people who care," says Singer.

Want to read more about it-
http://www.nature.com/nsu/040216/040216-19.html

Latika

piush_tomar
February 21st, 2004, 06:06 PM
Hi Latika,
I gone through your article...well I have the same problem of strong emotional activity..what should I do?

latika
February 24th, 2004, 05:25 PM
Hey, I think the problem is that you consider it a problem.

Samarkadian
February 25th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Latika ji,
Ram ram!!

Well..Is it possible for our illusive scienctific world to make a computer chip who can enable us to feel (actually!! whatever) when we dont wanna feel...??i dont mean to question anybody's ability..rather this is an idea..hmmmm..will wait for ur reply...

Jai Hind.
Samar

latika
December 9th, 2004, 12:59 AM
Samar,

Extremely sorry for not replying to your mail on time. I will not give any excuse coz that will not be honest answer. Its carelessness on my part.

Anyways, coming to the point, Your question is very important. Samar feelings are nothing but some mental states, and I dnt see a reason why the technology cannot help in aiding a particular mental state.

Imagine a scene where you are switching on a fan jst by thinking about it. Sounds fancy, isn't it. But it is possible. Jst imagine how helpful it is in making physically challanged people independent. Its called BCI (Brain Computer Interface). In same line of thought if technology can help a paralysed person switch on fan jst by thinking about it, why cannot it help autistic people socialize.

Thankyou for your interest. I will be happy to provide any further information.

regards,
Latika.

Latika ji,
Ram ram!!

Well..Is it possible for our illusive scienctific world to make a computer chip who can enable us to feel (actually!! whatever) when we dont wanna feel...??i dont mean to question anybody's ability..rather this is an idea..hmmmm..will wait for ur reply...

Jai Hind.
Samar

rkumar
December 9th, 2004, 06:59 PM
The ability to appreciate other people's agony is achieved by the same parts of the brain that we use to experience pain for ourselves.

Latika

I suppose this is true not only of pain, but of all human emotions. We can appreciate any emotion of others only when we ourselves have gone through it..be it death of near one, joy of having a child....list can be endless..

Rajendra