PDA

View Full Version : Think Big

anilkc
May 25th, 2004, 12:19 AM
Just wanted to share some excerpts from a posting in another forum:
Excerpts from one of my favorite books, “The magic of thinking BIG”, by David Schwartz. The book was first published in 1959 long before I was even born.

<Begin Excerpt #1>
Several years ago I witnessed an exceptionally impressive sales meeting. The vice-president in charge of marketing for this company was tremendously excited. He wanted to drive home a point. He had with him on the platform the leading representative in the organization, a very ordinary looking fellow, who earned in the year just ended just a little under $60,000. The earnings of other representatives averaged $12,000.

The executive challenged the group. Here is what he said! “I want you to take a good look at Harry. Look at him! Now what’s Harry got that the rest of you haven’t? Harry earned five times the average but is Harry five times smarter? No, not according to our personnel tests. I checked. They show he’s about average in that department.”

“And did Harry work five times harder than you fellows? No – not according to the reports. In fact he took more time off than most of you.”

“Did Harry have better territory? Again I’ve got to say no. The accounts averaged about the same. Did Harry have more education? Better health? No. Harry is about as average as an average guy could be except for one thing.”

“The difference between Harry and the rest of you,” said the vice-president, “ the difference is that Harry thought five times bigger.”
<End Excerpt #1>

<Begin Excerpt #2>
The basic principles and concepts supporting The Magic of Thinking Big come from the highest pedigree sources, the very finest and biggest thinking minds yet to live on planet Earth. Minds like the prophet David who wrote, “As one thinketh in his heart, so is he”’ minds such as Emerson who said, “Great men are those who see that thoughts rule the world”; minds like Milton who in Paradise Lost wrote, “The mind is its own place and in itself can make heaven of hell or a hell of heaven.” Amazingly perceptive minds like Shakespeare who observed “ There is nothing good or bad except that thinking makes it so.”
<End Excerpt #2>

<Begin Except #3>
Start out with thought of the great philosopher Disraeli, “Life is too short to be little.”
<End Excerpt #3>