PDA

View Full Version : What does an NRI stand for?

sanjeevmalik
June 11th, 2004, 01:10 AM
NRI--> Non Resident Indian
or NRI--> Non Returnable Indian
or NRI--> Non Reliabale Indian (take it lightly)

Read the following (In Hindi font)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/hindi/indepth/story/2004/01/040108_nri_achala.shtml

sanjeevmalik
June 11th, 2004, 01:14 AM
All those NRI (Non Resident Indians) who have for one reason or other are now on a foreign land, what have you got and what have you lost? (Kya paya hai aur kya koya hai, aur kya paane ki kwaaish hai)

Note: Everybody (NRI or just RI) is encouraged to participate in this discussion.

rkumar
June 11th, 2004, 12:42 PM
Sanjeev Malik (Jun 10, 2004 03:40 p.m.):

whatever one wants to call them, but they are an important part of both the sides. Smartones among them are those who have establishments on both the sides and maintain good links. If one looks at today's headlines in papers, G* countries are opening doors to India and China..India has come a long way my friends and it will not be wise for any of NRIs to sever their links with India...NO PLACE LIKE HOME....Live any where, workj any where but never give up your links with your motherland...

Rajendra

anilkc
June 11th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Sab batein dil ko samjhane wali hai...aap jahan funsh gaye, wahi ghar hai. 1st generation yahan ya wahan ke chakker mein zaroor jalta hai. Humans by nature are always greedy and will try to get something better. Long back everyone in the world wanted to come to India, then they wanted to go to west. As long as there is inequality in the world it will move (even Law of physics says tha).

Aap jahan bhi jayenge, yadein saath jayengi. US mein India ki yaad ayegi aur Indian mein US ki.

sanjeevmalik
June 11th, 2004, 08:19 PM
Kya baat kayi hai Anil sahab.

anil chaudhary (Jun 11, 2004 09:52 a.m.):
Aap jahan bhi jayenge, yadein saath jayengi. US mein India ki yaad ayegi aur Indian mein US ki.

bab_shinoo
June 11th, 2004, 09:33 PM
sanjeev......so u mean every Indian staying in India is reliable ?????
n the ones who do not stay in India n not !!!!

Sanjeev Malik (Jun 10, 2004 03:40 p.m.):

anilkc
June 11th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Hey Babita...dont take it seriously, sanjeev does mention it..
NRI--> Non Reliabale Indian (take it lightly)
some ppl may use it..but it probabily means the same as "angoor khatte hain".

anilkc
June 11th, 2004, 10:06 PM
some more:

NRI...nahi raha indian
NRI...not really indian
NRI...nasty resident indian
NRI...nearly retarded indian

NRI...new real indian
NRI...Nice Reliable Indian
NRI...Naturally Resourcefull Indian
NRI...National Resources of India

...and so on...good, bad or ugly is ur choice.

rksehrawat
June 12th, 2004, 06:49 AM
It is a historical fact that more the non-resident population of a country, more powerful and prosperous it becomes. England, France and other other European countries from 17th to 20th centuries and USA in modern era are the examples. USSR, on the other hand, inspite of being a super power, could not doomed because there was no significant non-resident population to sustain the sliding economy back home. It is natural for a person to work harder when abroad. Perhaps because some sort of insecurity or the fear of failure is lurking in his mind somewhere forcing him to work hard. If refugees in India could prosper, it was because of this fear and insecurity that forced them to work their way to success. Within India itself, Punjab and Kerala prospering because of NRIs. Bihar, MP, Orissa are lagging behind because of proportion of NRIs from these states is negligible. Thus, more non-resident population is a manifestation of brains, skills and hardwork as no foreign country will accept the uneducated, unskilled and lazy people. Whatever FDI and FX reserves India today boasts of is not because of any Government policies but due to sheer hard work of NRIs like you as the policies itself are influenced by NRIs. Non-resident Indians not only take "yadein" as indicated above but also the Indian culture which is more alive abroad than even in India itself. So don't loose heart, your contribution to development is not only important but will also not be remembered. Let us resolve to take as many jats abroad as we can.

JAT - Just And True

anne
June 13th, 2004, 03:26 AM
A little rude one even i wanna add:) (TAKE THIS VERY LIGHTLY)
NRI- Not Required Indian.

ajaygahlawat
March 28th, 2005, 09:18 AM
A little rude one even i wanna add:) (TAKE THIS VERY LIGHTLY)
NRI- Not Required Indian.

How very true actually. I was personally least required in India. Can give you tons of examples, this one comes to mind.

Once I walked into the office of the state government's IT head, and volunteered my services. He asked "Gratis"? I said "yes, absolutely!". Still didn't quiet work out.

And what do I do now? - Architect IT applications for the UK government. Funny , but ironic.

junnu
April 23rd, 2005, 04:53 AM
Ajay, Its true and has happened to me too...but in another context. The simple idea of community service is not taught in young school children, hence it doesnt prevail in adults. When one offers to help, they think that we might have some ulterior motive behind it, therefore they decline our help.
Its very important to start teaching vollunteer work and community service, and respect of others property, to all people. This way our jats can progress much faster.
It is going to be difficult, but dont get dishartened. I urge that everyone NRI try it over and over again, till people in India change their thinking. And change they will. Persistence is the answer.
Take for example, Rajendra bhai is starting a cancer hospital in UP. Do you think they will bend over backward, and allow him to do so. Believe me, he will face a lot resistance. But he will, one day, complete the project. Three cheers to him !!
Junnu