PDA

View Full Version : Be "still" and still make a move

sanjeevmalik
June 15th, 2004, 11:47 PM
If I take off in a helicopter from a helipad in New Delhi and be at a still point in the air, then why can’t I land in USA after 12 hours with the earth rotating at a certain speed (1041 miles/hour)?

anilkc
June 16th, 2004, 12:05 AM
If u are really high up in space where earth's influence is minimum and remain still, u will reach USA in 12 hrs.

anilkc
June 16th, 2004, 12:09 AM
if u have travelled between India/US, u will see that it takes longer to reach US fron India, than to reach India from US.

rkumar
June 16th, 2004, 12:54 AM
Sanjeev Malik (Jun 15, 2004 02:17 p.m.):
If I take off in a helicopter from a helipad in New Delhi and be at a still point in the air, then why can’t I land in USA after 12 hours with the earth rotating at a certain speed (1041 miles/hour)?

Sanjeev! You are asking a question which is exteremly elementary. Being still or in motion is all relative. When you say you are still in sky, this applies only with respect to the point exactly below on the ground and this simply means that you and the ground are moving exactly at the same velocity. This is like sitting in the train..train may be appearing still with respect to u, but you both are moving with respect to the ground. so when your helicoptor and the point exatly below you on the ground are moving at the same speed, USA is alos moving at the same speed....so u will never reach USA.....and don't wait there in sky my friend. as USA will never reach below you.....hahahahhaaha....

Rajendra

sanjeevmalik
June 16th, 2004, 01:02 AM
Dear Rajendra ji,

Hawa mein tho USA anna muskhil hi lag raha hai, sahayad pedal chal kar aur saumundar mein ter kar, aamrikaa pahunch janoon....

Koshish jari rahegi... Realtivity-ki-Reply key liye danyawaad.

sanjeevmalik
June 16th, 2004, 05:48 PM
Dear Rajendra ji,

Train is physically attached to the earth while helicopter is not and the helicopter is assumed to fly heights.

More feedback needed.

Thanks.

Rajendra Kumar Kalkhunde (Jun 15, 2004 03:24 p.m.):

Sanjeev Malik (Jun 15, 2004 02:17 p.m.):

Sanjeev! You are asking a question which is exteremly elementary. Being still or in motion is all relative. When you say you are still in sky, this applies only with respect to the point exactly below on the ground and this simply means that you and the ground are moving exactly at the same velocity. This is like sitting in the train..train may be appearing still with respect to u, but you both are moving with respect to the ground. so when your helicoptor and the point exatly below you on the ground are moving at the same speed, USA is alos moving at the same speed....so u will never reach USA.....and don't wait there in sky my friend. as USA will never reach below you.....hahahahhaaha....

Rajendra

anilkc
June 16th, 2004, 09:05 PM
helicopter is also attached to earth. Inertia of earths rotation and EM field plays a part.
Here is one "seeing is beleiving" explaination I remember from school days...
In a running train, take a ball. Through it straight up in the air. Where does it land ? Behind u? No, it will land right in ur hands.
U will see it going strainght up and down.
But a person standing outside the train will see it going in a curve.
Another version....
In a moving train, start jumping up and down. Do u reach the end to the coach?
Better still....
take a toy helicopter and try ur experiment, it should reach the end of the coach according to ur logic?
Motion is relative, u have to change the frame of reference depending on what u want to observe.
Happy journey...

sanjeevmalik
June 16th, 2004, 11:16 PM
Answered aptly.

anil chaudhary (Jun 16, 2004 11:35 a.m.):
helicopter is also attached to earth. Inertia of earths rotation and EM field plays a part.
Here is one "seeing is beleiving" explaination I remember from school days...
In a running train, take a ball. Through it straight up in the air. Where does it land ? Behind u? No, it will land right in ur hands.
U will see it going strainght up and down.
But a person standing outside the train will see it going in a curve.
Another version....
In a moving train, start jumping up and down. Do u reach the end to the coach?
Better still....
take a toy helicopter and try ur experiment, it should reach the end of the coach according to ur logic?
Motion is relative, u have to change the frame of reference depending on what u want to observe.
Happy journey...