PDA

View Full Version : Jathood over time ---->

bnashier
July 14th, 2004, 05:27 PM
After reading so many interesting discussions about superiority etc. of us Jats spread through so many posts here, it is simply natural to reflect on our real progress.

We have lived and have had ancestral properties in North India for thousands of years. Now, in most cases, those ancestral properties have been reduced to one entity - mere 'Jathood'. Our youths are struggling to discover what to do with the properties of this Jathood for survival and progress in the world.

Let us look back and see the progress of people who were dislocated in 1947-48. Most of them had only rags on their bodies. So many of them started selling tea on small corners and eventually acquired cafeterias and hotels. They also excelled in education and later occupied most of the powerful jobs. What did we do? Standing up in front a mirror to feel good by looking at a handsome Jat hasn't helped. Dangling our Jathood and staying away from changes has led us to this stagnation. By the way, this notion of handsome or bravery is not limited to any particular segment. They are seen in all forms and places.

History shows that any race that feels overly comfortable in status-quo and does not move with time eventually gets taken over by aggressive explorers.

rkumar
July 14th, 2004, 06:04 PM
well said Budh ji. For many days I have been thinking of something and was just about to write to you a personal email. Knowing all the qualities of Jat boys, I came to one conclusion. Your help will go a long way in achieving this. I have this dream of starting a Institue of Mathematics and High End Computing, where we will take really commited boys and girls. I think we won't need lots of funding for such and Institution and it can catter to many national and international needs. Language and communication of boys won't come in the way of their progress.

What do you say?

Rajendra Kumar

anilkc
July 14th, 2004, 07:29 PM
Good idea Rajendra ji. I beleive many of us will be ready to contribute to ur effort, if not by money, then by volunteering some time or at least by moral support.
I think, the catch phrase in ur post is "commited boys and girls". We need to instill the culture of commitment and patience.

"Jat mahan" ka nara lagane se agar hum mahan ho jate to is desh se garibi kab ki khatam ho gayi hoti (garibi hatao). "Jat balwan" bhi bahut suna, ab "jat budhdhiman" ka number kab ayega ?

jagmohan
July 15th, 2004, 10:44 AM
Budh Bhai Saheb,

Namskar and good to see you back with an extremely important subject that could ultimately decide as to where JATS stand in the 'Community of Communities'. If you remember I had mentioned in one of my earlier posts as to why we JATS are one generation behind the 'Sikhs' and other 'Punjabis'. It is not to be forgotten that we are still a backward people (we can keep talkng about the glorious past and be happy about it). The tragedy is that we all know what the problem is and yet fail to address the root causes.

We all agree that 'Education' is the key. Without educating our present generation we can't be competitive and would always lack behind. And education costs money and for money one has to work. We don't have the knack of being natural business people, individual efforts nothwithstanding. With education comes knowledge and that would make us more tolerant of other peoples views (we, me included, would then hopefully not waste our times on inconsequential things) and learn to co-operate. I don't have to count the advantages of education in such an educated forum.

My views on 'Refugees' (displaced from Pakistan) getting ahead of simple village folk may not be universally acceptable. We all know that means they used to get ahead of us were not morally correct. The decay in our value system and corruption is their gift too. Well, that is another topic. But if a JAT or JATNI sets his mind on doing something, he/she would succeed faster than any other community on this earth. It is a matter of guidance and opportunity. A quick example that comes to mind is Mallika Sehrawat. Whatever we may say, she is like a 'Ram in a flock of ewes' and has created a flutter in an industry dominated by Punjabis. If Chopra's, Kapoor's, Tandon's and Basu's can expose, Mallika can do better. In any case our girls are much healthier and athletic than riff raff seen on screen.

I will end by saying that we have no time to waste and have to work very very hard for the next 50 years to start catching up with other successful communities. It is a fashion amongst 'well to do people' in our community, or for that matter others too, to talk about how his/her near and dear ones are still in a village and how he/she is still 'in touch' with his 'roots'. In my book, I only consider those people as truly successful who have been able to help at least one close relative achieve his/her dreams. And the earlier we start contributing and making efforts for upliftment of our nearest ones the better it is. No amount of chin wagging would do and we would be only discussing 'topics' and 'proposals'.

Regards,

Lt Col JS Malik (Retd)