PDA

View Full Version : Rajendra: Institute of Mathematics and High End Computing

bnashier
July 18th, 2004, 04:49 AM
Dear Rajendra:

Your idea of an Institute of Mathematics and High End Computing does deserve many good thoughts. I have chosen to write this in a new thread simply because this topic deserves attention of its own rather than placing these thoughts in the thread (Jathood over time) where you expressed your desire.

An adventure of this kind requires one to go through some historical perspective of tasks undertaken by people of vision that have been successful. I will cite a few examples.

1. Center for Advanced Study in Mathematics, Chandigarh. Professor Ram Prakash Bambah (a very bright and energetic mathematician) spent time in the US after getting his Ph.D. in mathematics from Cambridge University in 1950. After spending a few years in the US, he moved to Chandigarh with a vision to reshape the department of mathematics at Panjab University. He was instrumental in acquiring the Center for Advanced Study in Mathematics and Computing Center in 1960s. About a dozen other fine mathematicians (mainly trained in US and UK) joined the Center. The purpose of the Center was to train young people to do research in mathematics. They enrolled students right after (current 10+2 level) in their Honours School in mathematics. This program of the Advanced Center had nothing to do with the usual masters’ program of the University. The aim of the Advanced Center was to recognize and train career researchers in mathematics.

2. Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Bombay. After spending some illustrious 12 years in UK, Homi J. Bhabha returned to India in 1939 with a vision to create an Institute devoted to Fundamental Research in some of the emerging areas in physics and mathematics - which in the course of time could develop into a research school comparable to the best in the world. Indeed, in 1944 he a wrote a letter to Sir Dorabji Tata Trust about his desire and vision. The Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) was formally inaugurated in December 1945 in ‘Kenilworth’ building, which was Bhabha’s ancestral home. He was close to Nehru who gave the beautiful land in Navy Headquarters in Colaba and the Tata Trust helped fund the construction of the magnificent fully air-conditioned building at the Arabian Sea which, probably, is the most notable building any educational institution in the country has. TIFR developed into a world-class reseach institute by any standrads. We all know that the atomic research program in India was a brain-child of Homi J. Bhabha. He envisioned power plants with nuclear reactors even before the United States had any such power plants.

3. Ramanujan Institute of Mathematics, Madras was started in the late 1950s and flourished in keeping a good collaboration with TIFR

4. Harish Chandra Research Institute in Mathematics and Physics in Allahabad is another example of a fine reaserch institution.

All of these institutions are doing extremely well. I received my training in the Center at Chandigarh followed by TIFR before I moved to North America.

Now times have changed and the emphasis on Science and Research have shifted according to changing times. More practical and immediately applicable research (rather than pure and abstract research) have gained momentum. Bio-mathematics, computational mathematics, actuarial mathematics etc. have become fashionable. To start any kind of program, a long term vision and resources play a crucial role. I think high end computing will continue to gain momentum in the foreseeable future. India has barely started its journey towards mass computerization of its institutions - from Banking to Universities.

To start an educational institution of higher grade (of the kind you seem to have in mind), there are two avenues to follow. First one may involve an unlimited amount of personal resources and no help from outside. In this case, since resources are not a problem, all work is done for aesthetic pleasure and curiosity of the mind. Best minds are created and they do what they wish to do and eventually that work makes a difference in the society. The second path is for immediate practical outlet. That one should involve some tech firms (stay away from Govt. involvements), and with their help and your initiative you set up an institution which will train people who end up doing the work of use to those firms. Here the idea and philosophy of compassion and goodwill will play a role in getting some firms on board. Remember that your aim is to help dedicated/committed young boys and girls from rural areas to get ahead.

rkumar
July 18th, 2004, 01:11 PM
Budh ji,

I have been exploring all sorts of ideas to do my bit of responsibilty for the society. Jat boys have been the focus of my vision. I have been thinking as to what will suit the Jat boys most knowing their poor communication skills but spontaneous brain. Looking at the extensive applications mathematics has and not many good institutions are there for higher mathematics in the Jat inhibited lands of Haryana, western UP and Rajesthan, Maths came to my mind. Problem is that most of the maths teachers in our schools do not know how extensively maths is useful in modern tehnology and research and how much money one can make from Higher mathmatics and high end computing. Mathematics has not been marketed properly by mathematicians. Following points in favaour of such an institute came to my mind;

1. Such institure will not requite extensive infrastructure apart from some good computers.
2. Its research and development output can be marketed without physically carrying around the loads of products.
3. There is no branch of modern medicine where this will not find itself useful.
4. language skills of our jat boys will not come in their way to show their real mathematical skills..

I wrote this to you with full knowledge of your mathematical background and an indirect invitation to trigger you to think something along this line. We are not Bhabhas that we have the backing of resourceful community of people like Nehru and also we do not carry big name tags that many industries or government will put money on our ideas. However, we still have some resources of our own which we are keen to utilise most effectively for the good of our community. What action of our will bring most reward for every paise spent? This is how that idea came to my mind and I posed to the most qualified person in that subject on the Jatland.

Rajendra

shekhar_nehra
August 3rd, 2004, 07:10 PM
Respected Budh and Rajendra Uncle after going thru this thread i get the feeling that Budh uncle you being a mathematician have a vision for an institute that contributes to solve the unsoved problems in higher maths and focus on the not in vogue topics of research. On the other hand Rajendar uncle has a vision for an institute to solve immediate problem of unemployment / shortage of skilled manpower. Both of you have focussed on two different aspects ' innovation' and ' sustainance' . I hope that the idea takes a shape soon and a common vision turns into reality. I would be more than willing to contribute to such a move with what ever resources/means I have.

One more point I would like to add here is that , in order to get dedicated students catch them young i.e school level .