PDA

View Full Version : what leadership qualities would we need in a young jat leader?

chaudharani
August 2nd, 2004, 10:21 PM
I think this forum can used reasonably usefully to evaluate our young jat leaders (or lack thereof) and see what everyone believes the best qualities should be.....

what are your thoughts??

navingulia
August 2nd, 2004, 10:55 PM
Anu Jee, putting a bit of my opinion.

To be a leader you need to be a good orator and excellent at diplomacy.
to be a good leader you need to be sincere

but if you have too much money or you are son of an existing politician, you dont need any of the above.

jat society(just like our country) is obsessed with age factor, it will be very difficult to have young leaders unless you are born in the Gandhi clan. If that is the case, you may be made the president of Congress party even before you learn to walk.

Its not that our leaders cannot learn to talk in an educated manner or behave and dress properly. They deliberately stay the way they are to attract masses and they let the masses stay illeterate so that they can appease them by easy means.

The educated raise their hands and say they hate politics and dont vote. The uneducated love it for the small benifits they get.
The educated should come forward if they want changes or they should keep shut when it comes to hating politics.

Yes, Some harsh words but then, so is my opinion.

chaudharani
August 2nd, 2004, 11:20 PM
Navinji,
Thank you for your thoughts. I feel that the jats, like the rest of the country - have come a long way. While a majority of us are still poor and illiterate, a reasonable subset are literate. Take this forum we are members of-- Jats who have not only access to but also something to contribute ....an interest in our future as a group as well as our representation in the nation. Do you think we are incapable of reaching to the majority of jats in the country? Would most of them look at us and say" bohboh, tuh nahin samjegi?"

One of the topics that someone here brought up was that we are poorly respresented by the media....the brainless, good looking jat! i think its time the jats in the media took up the challenge of rightly representing us in the national media. Anyone up for the challenge??

navingulia
August 2nd, 2004, 11:34 PM
i am all for changes needed. In fact i will go to any extent to make my share of the contribution.

I was criticising the educated who spend a lot of time criticising politics but do nothing to effect the changes.

i appreciate your bringing up this topic.

jagmohan
August 3rd, 2004, 09:28 AM
I presume that the qualities asked for here are for someone to lead the community and that could be either a social reformer or a politician. Leadership qualities required are:

1. Aware of ground realities, ie someone who doesn't talk through his hat and knows the 'PULSE', as they say.

2. Educated enough to understand the importance of education for both sexes.

3. Proven honesty and Integrity, ie he will not turn out to be a 'Turncoat'. He/she should volunteer for public scrutiny as far his/her assests are concerned.

4. Genuine urge to 'SERVE' the 'Community' and not just serve himself or his clan.

5. Lastly, he/she should be a 'TYAGI', one who can give it all up for a matter of 'Principle'.

navingulia
August 3rd, 2004, 11:51 AM
Dear Sir
you are right, thats what a leader should be and we have had a few of them in the past but they could not make a very major impact.
i feel those who were sincere couldnot get support of masses and those who could manage mass supprt werenot sincere.
As Anu jee said that we can reach out to masses and things are changing. I agree, with spread of education and awareness things will change but my concern is that it is a very slow process. Will education ever be able to catch up with our growing population. In this world of 190 countries, every sixth individual is an indian.
What is being practiced is politics of appeasement. If i go out to ask for votes today, nobody will give me votes because i am a good man or becoz i intend to do good for the state/country. people want to know what i can do for them in particular, immediately.
here people give you votes when you give them flood relief. they wont give you votes if you find a solution to the floods.
There is a very big silent majority in our country, people who dont come out and it mostly cosists of educated lot. If these people come out, changes can start.
But these changes will be slow.
Yes, if we have a dynamic leader (excellent orator), whos words can make a difference, things will be faster.
Media is an important force, they can unite the country for a cause overnight (remember kargil).

jatrix
August 3rd, 2004, 01:43 PM
without going in details... i would say that jats are the perfect leaders.....
'coz the ultimate characteristic of a leader is to take the responsibilities of all the mistakes and passing on the credit of success to subordies ...which jats r really good at.... given the inherited nature of ours!!
naresh
IIT chennai

rksehrawat
August 3rd, 2004, 05:27 PM
I think the ideal jat leader would be the one who will have the guts to admit of being a jat leader and could say : haan bhai jat leader soon, bol ke karega. Jaa bhaj ja na tae peetega". Who can tell Sardars in the Cenral Hall of Parliament "paani nahin diya tai, Haryane main bud ke dikhao, sallan ki dadhi paad lenge". These goodie goodie talkers are all frauds and can never be jat leaders. Only an original leaders, with all jat traits can be the ideal jat leader. I am sorry, I am busy right now, hence no inclination to become a leader, at least for the next ten years till my children at studying. LOL!!!! Jisne apani family, gaon or kaum ka bhala na socha, woh desh ka kaya bhala karega.

anilkc
August 4th, 2004, 02:23 AM
We have too many leaders and no followers.

singh1981
August 4th, 2004, 01:17 PM
I read some where ...........
Good leaders not generate followers ......they generate new leaders......
so don't be follower be a leader...........

-----------------------------------------------------------------
We have too many leaders and no followers.[/quote]

devdahiya
January 22nd, 2005, 11:52 AM
1] TAGGDDA PATIENCE
2] MOTTI KHAAL
3] BHAJJAN TAHIN TEJ RAFTTAR
4] 30-40 PAKKE HODD BADMAASS...[KAAN TUTTE HODD]
5] EK BADDI SI HELLI
6] EK HOKKA
7] 4-5 JHATOLLI
8] Ek hokka bharaniyan
9] EK BORRI TAMMAKHOO
10] BHOKKAN KI KALLA
11] EK BADDA SA TRACTOR
12] 10-12 KILLE
13] JHOOTHH BOLLANN KI PHD DEGREE
14] EK TURRHE AALLA KHANDUWA.
15] EK SAFFED KUDDTA-PAJJAMMA
ELLHE AANDEE LEADER TYAR....................................HA........ ..HA.........HA............HA

raj2rif
January 23rd, 2005, 06:18 AM
I think the ideal jat leader would be the one who will have the guts to admit of being a jat leader and could say : haan bhai jat leader soon, bol ke karega. Jaa bhaj ja na tae peetega". Who can tell Sardars in the Cenral Hall of Parliament "paani nahin diya tai, Haryane main bud ke dikhao, sallan ki dadhi paad lenge". These goodie goodie talkers are all frauds and can never be jat leaders. Only an original leaders, with all jat traits can be the ideal jat leader. I am sorry, I am busy right now, hence no inclination to become a leader, at least for the next ten years till my children at studying. LOL!!!! Jisne apani family, gaon or kaum ka bhala na socha, woh desh ka kaya bhala karega.

Dear Sehrawat Ji,

I think this is the exact attitude of our community which has made us isolated. This is exactly how a leader should not behave.

Firstly, a leader to be a force to reckon with in a democratic system needs to have a majority of followers. He can't get majority of followers if he/she is a "Jat Leader" or for that matter any community leader. We all keep blaming that these Banias and Brahmins don't let us come up? Did we ever realised that they never purported to be either a Brahmin or Bania leader even though their community considered them to be so and they did more for their community than for any other community. This is exactly what Mr. Navin Gulia has said in his post, that a leader needs to be a good Diplomat.

I remember an incident, my mother told me. My uncle was the Lambardar of the village. He went to sell Gur in Hapur Mandi. Since he was very skiny and the Bania was looking very plumpy, he asked him, "Seth tu kya khata hai jo itna tandrust hai"? The Bania replied, Chaudhary Sahab jo main khata hun who aap nahin kha sakte. My uncle lost his temper and started abusing him telling him aare tu ke khayega jo main khata hum, mere paas desi ghee neekhdu duth sab hai khane ko. The Bania replied, Chaudhary Sahab, Main Kam khata hun aur Gam Khata hum, aap yeh nahin kha sakte. How true was it.

Sehrawat ji, to lead a large section of public, the leader has to eat Kam and Gam both.

mukeshkumar007
December 28th, 2005, 06:17 PM
I just came to this thread.. All members had put up well observation... But if we look at present scenario than to be a successful leader one must be able to get followers (vote) as much as he/she can by using all tactics (Saam, Daam, Dhand, Bhed). If you have good amount of money and well observation of circumstances of your constituency then you may win election. If you would like to win an election on the basis of principals than forget... You can’t win even Panchayat election in you’re this birth… ek candidate bichara principals and values ke geet gata gata mar jayega lakin voters hardly listen him. So I think if one has good plans and vision and keen to implement them in his/her constituency then first he/she should focus his/her attention toward election wining tactics and should not be hesitate in using them. If once you win than you can easily go to implement your plans for the development by using your principals. There is a dialogue in sunny deol’s film “JANWAR KO MARNE KE LIYE JANWAR BANNA PADTA HAI. So if you are keen to change the face of your area than first you must be ready to involve yourself in the situations whatever may be (good or bad). second thing a leader need which is aggressiveness and as you know Jat has always been aggressive in approach this is why Jat can be a good leader than others.
BTW one day I will definitely fight (win) an election but before this I will have to earn lot of money because it will be more necessary... LOL

downtoearth
December 28th, 2005, 09:08 PM
dev saab is right .safead jurta pajama >maand dey key

Unpredictability is the greatest quality a leader can have

atul.jhajhria
December 29th, 2005, 08:12 AM
I agree with navin, the age factor is a big issue to become a leader and so does family you belong to. If some one is son/relative of prominent leader he may get head start. However most of time good leaders are not son/daughter of established leaders. If a common person wants to become a leader he needs to to exihibit these qualities.

<1>Communication skill(when talking to larger group of people):He(or She) needs to be very aggresive when talking to group(large) of people. Their is very thin line between being aggresive and arrogant. The person should not ever give impression of being arrogant. I say aggresiveness because that comes for free. You have to be unique in some way, you have to be different(in good way) from others.

<2>Communication skill(when talking to small group of people): Always be nice when talking to someone in person(even if he does not share your views, values etc).

<3> Timing: You have to be very opportunistic when you say something. You should be in control of situation and should have atleast a hint about what other person is thinking. Try to echo his concerns /views without seen as yesman.

<4> Try to emphathize with people: Masses should identify with you. They should have feeling that you understand their concerns. Many leaders listen to problems of common man and they understand it too. But you should be able to identify yourself with those concerns. People should know that you have understood their concerns.

<5> Moral uptightness: You must be able to distinguish between whats right and whats wrong. Dont agree to someone just to gain their support. You must have ability to stand to your veiws. If you think that some section is unfair in its demand, then diasagree, but in subtle manner. Make sure not to hurt their feeling. :p

<6> Friendliness: Do not alleniate people. If someone is a potential threat to your position, dont try to corner him even if you can. You never know whats in the future :eek:.

<7> Ability to stand criticism: There will be lots of instances where you will be accused. Sometimes you will be accused with out any reason. You should be able to defend yourself. You should not defend yourself too much :o. Dont give impression that you can be easily dragged into an argument.

<8> Promises: If you give your word, you should be able to fulfill it. The best way to to keep word is to never give word :p. Be careful in what you promise. You should know what you can do and what you cant do.

<9> Dont Explain too much: When taking actions dont defend yourself unnecessaary: your friends do not need it and your enemies will not believe you.

Someone pointed that Jat leaders tend to alleniate themselves by calling themselves jat leader. I think its a matter of choice. Its up to you to decide how you want to project yourself.

In the end it all comes to caste equation only and there you should be able to garner support of other communities as well. The best way is to emphasize that you are going for general welfare rather then any particular caste.This has its own merits and demerits and again depends on individual how he balance these factors.

The time is changing and i am sure with in a decade or so we will be westrenized to the extent that we will behave in same way as people of developed countries. In today's circumstances we dont have many choices. Most of the educated people in our society tends to opt for other careers. Only handful of educated persons are in politics. People in general cant be fooled that easily. If there is better person for the job they will vote for him. However those few suitable politician tends to be corrupted with time. Take example of Bansilal, although the cirumstances in which he rose was unique but he was able to do lots of good things for general masses. However due to his rigid nature he lost mush of his appeal.

The chautala and corporation is other extreme of bansilal. They did very few things but were able to gain votes mostly on the sentiments and false promises.

We need a combination(in good way) of these two persons. As time progresses corrupt politicians will found themselves out of flavour. Its only matter of time when we will have better options to choose.

The best example of such kind of persona is Mr. satveer chaudhary. I believe he is senator(?) in minnesota.

If we look demographics in India Jats are manly concentrated around N. Delhi. And this is the best place to live in India. Whoever our ancestors were, they were very shrewd and concentrated themselves among the most fertile and happening places in India. But during transition phase, we were not able to do as good as we had potential. The region where Jats live have highest per capita income in India. We are still better then most. If we have one leader or a unified voice, we will be able to progress even faster.

Any comments are welcome.

Atul

sampuran
December 29th, 2005, 01:06 PM
Quite a nice thread.
I would agree with what Lt col Malik says.

Leadership is not just politics. It is applicable for all fields in life.

The world is too small a place and India is even smaller. What we need is a good Indian leader who can rise above caste and region. India's well being automatically means progress for all communities. So lets not talk about a Jat leader unless we are thinkung of dividing India further into Jatland vs rest.

gsvijay1
December 29th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I think a good leader should have a vision and a ability to clearly communicate that vision to people & plan to implement his vision. These days politics is more about manipulation then about vision and plan for our country. Educated people don't come out to vote because they find vision missing in our leaders.

Sometime I feel that our president have better vision then our politicians.