PDA

View Full Version : A Challenge to Jatland Youth - Time for Action

birbal
August 3rd, 2004, 07:25 PM
I have been associated with this website for almost two years. As I was cleaning up my email archives I was amazed that I have corresponded with over 300 individuals either directly from the Jatland site or those who obtained my email address from someone on this site. It has been a pleasant experience as there have been several positive outcomes through this process.

But when I look from the point of view that what could be accomplished through the joint effort of all the talented young people on this site then I feel rather disappointed. There has not been a united effort to pool the talent on the site. As I am on a Sabbatical leave and have more free time I have read lot of the posts on the Jatland site and I did find few posts where some members have tried to invite others into action but with futility.

So, I am writing this post to challenge the youthful, talented and energetic members that instead of spending time on writing silly posts do something more productive. I see immense opportunities in the next economic upswing and you have all the resources to take advantage of it.

Here is my suggestion:

Schedule Chat sessions for brainstorming to come up with a plan to use the technical talent and financial resources available through the site and make a commitment to develop one or more successful corporations in the next 5 years. We have talented people from many fields on this site and there is lot of potential for synergy.

With apology to all whose names are not listed here I urge the following people to schedule and start the Chat sessions ( open to all who want to see what is going on) - Anil Chaudhary, Anuj Kumar, Anuj Kadyan, Anurag Kadyan, Amit Shokeen, Monica and Nitin Dahiya, Anmol Ratan, Rahul Malik, Uday Dahiya, Ajmer Dahiya, Sabeena Chaudhary. (I picked these names from the site to include a variety of fields ranging from Operations Research, Economics, Marketing, Investment Banking, Organizational Psychology and Software).

Believe me, if needed, lot of venture capital (millions of Dollars) can be raised from this site alone.

I plan to spend about 3 months in India (Oct. to Dec.) at my home (on our land more than a mile from the village) and will be cutoff from the outside world. But before that I hope something comes out of it.

I apologise for not including names of lot of talented people here but this is only a start. Let us do something meaningful rather than wasing time on writing silly posts.

Birbal Singh

srajdeep
August 3rd, 2004, 08:20 PM
Good idea Birbal Singh Jee.
If anyone gets into chat session please let me know what you decide. It will be difficult for me to chat while at work but after work I am free for discussions.
Is there any way of keeping the chat session posts somewhere (so that if some new member wants to read the older discussion he/she will be abele do so), or should be start a new thread under Carriers Section of this site.
Hope to hear from others.

Thanks,
Rajdeep

anilkc
August 3rd, 2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks Birbal ji, for bringing up a very important issue and putting it in right perspective.
I have been trying for a long time to encourage entrepreneurship among Jats. So far its been a false start for me. May be ur post and words of encouragement will re-ignite the dormant spirit. A blessing and backing from seniors will give us more confidence and show us the right way to do things. I look fwd to inputs from all. I hope we dont again get devided into NRI and RI jats; it has to be a joint effort from both ends to be successfull.
To start with I suggest we exchange a short profession background info from interested individuals. If someone is hesistant to share the info publicly, we can do it offline. I will be more than willing to coordinate the effort.

For members living in and around Boston:
It will be a good opportunity if u can join us for a get together on 21st Aug:
http://www.jatland.com/cgi-bin/ub/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=18&TID=1005&SID=46087

srajdeep
August 3rd, 2004, 10:31 PM
I have no problem sharing professional background (unless it requires giving out my credit card number) So here it goes.

Name : Rajdeep Singh
Education : B.Tech. 1998 IIT Khararagpur, Electronics and Electrical Comm. Engg.
Work Experience :
IBM Global Services, Bangalore : 1 year
Worked as VLSI design engineer. Job responsiblities were to verify VHDL model of a graphics chip designed in IBM Austin

IBM Austin, TX: 2 years
Got transferred to IBM Austin site from IBM India and worked on verification of VHDL model of geometric rasterizer portion of chip. Also worked on modelling a software simulation of chip

PTC, Needham, MA : (since 2001, 3 years over)
Working as a software engineer in R&D group. I handle all display code for ProE and work on cross platform graphics,3d scane management issues, different graphics card support.

Home : (always)
Work at home on some hobby software projects to keep current on new technology, so keep my job ;-)

Skill Set :

OS/Platform : HP-UX, IBM 6K, SUN Solaris, SGI, Window 2000, XP/NT, Unix, Linux
Languages : C, C++
Libraries : Opengl, X11, Motif, GDI, GTK
Technologies : 3d Graphics, Image processing, Pattern Recognition, Robotics .

Your turn Anil/ Others

raju :-)

anilkc
August 4th, 2004, 12:46 AM
Ok, its my turn:
Education:
B.E: DCE, Delhi
M.E: IISc, Bangalore.

ABt 10 years of experience in software QA, design and development of communication products.

Experience in Wireless LAN products (IEEE 802.11), Network management system (NMS), operation support system (OSS), MPLS, MPOA, ATM, ISDN protocols etc etc etc. Programming experience (long back) using C, VC++ in real time embedded systems, UNIX and Windows environment.

Worked at CDOT, Cisco, Covad and currently at 3Com (marlborough, MA) as a Sr. QA engr for 802.11 products.

Raju Bhiaya, hum pehle kahin mile hain ?

srajdeep
August 4th, 2004, 12:55 AM
Yes I think we met at lunch in Waltham organized bu amit and his wife. hopefully we will meet again at the picnic.

raju

birbal
August 4th, 2004, 01:04 AM
Anil and Rajdeep,

It is a good start. I hope others join in soon to organize few brainstorm sessions. This kind of brainstom sessions were used successfully by Indian and Chinese youngsters working together in the Silicon Valley before the internet boom began. They used to meet for lunch every Tuseday in a Berkeley area restaurant and the results were phenomenal. You people have the chat line available to you for the same purpose. It is only the question of putting your thoughts together and come up with potential ideas where things are heading and how you can be part of it.

good luck.

Birbal Singh

ajmer
August 4th, 2004, 03:20 AM
Dr. Sahab,

A great idea indeed.

Myself - Masters degree in Computer Science and Applications from Poona University, Pune. Over 10 years of experience in Enterprise Storage industry - a very dynamic and growing area with huge growth potential. Worked on SCSI, Fibre Channel and now iSCSI - some of the different technologies used in enterprise storage industry today.

Currently, working with Qlogic Corp (www.qlogic.com) which makes I/O controllers and Storage Switches used in SAN (Storage Area Networks) and NAS (Network Attached Storage) environments.

Highly interested in starting a technology company. I have some ideas which may address some markets in the storage industry in the near future. I am also looking for people with similar interests. Also looking for people who have some experience in taking the ideas to the market - with some good marketing background. Some funding also available.

By IDC predictions, by 2007, enterprise storage market will be equally divided among Fibre Channel, iSCSI, SATA (Serial ATA) and SAS (Serial SCSI). One of the ideas involves bridging these technologies together in order to make them interoperable with each other.

Yes, let us identify some people with similar interests and get together - online or offline.

Thanks.

-ajmer

rahul_malik23
August 4th, 2004, 05:45 AM
Thanks Birbal singh ji for intiating this topic.

Abt myself :
BTech Instrumentation
MTech Process Control (Intsr. & Control Engg)

Exp :
1) ~ 6 months - Seimens Ltd. Gurgaon.
Language - C++

Worked as a part of team which was developing a graphical tool for a computer based process automation system. The idea was really good where a plain process control or Instrumentation engineer need not require to be computer expert. S/He can use this tool & their knowledge of the process and put all neccessary control elements together (more like creating a flow chart). Based on the flowchart, the code will be generated in the background to control the process.

2) 3.5 yrs in Infosys bangalore.
Joined in recession after MTech in 2001, so attended almost all type of trainings in first 6 months. (Mainframes, E-Comm package, AS/400, Open systems). Jack of all, master of none :-)

Worked on 2 different projects. First for 5 months on Insurance Domain and from last 2.5 yrs in Payroll & Tax processing (US specific).
Here got oppurtunity to work on almost every possible phase of a S/W project lifecycle. Start from a developement, maintenance & now closure state. Worked in several roles starting as developer/Tester, Designer/Reviewer and now requirements gathering at client's location.

Technically nothing hardcore. Mainly worked on Oracle 8i, PL/SQL, COM+, VB, ASP, MSMQ, Win 2000 programming. (almost for 2.5 yrs)

OS/Platform : Win NT/ 2000, OS/390, AS/400
Languages : C, C++, HTML, ASP
Tools : VB, AMARTA
Database : Oracle 8i, PL/SQL

Warm regards,
Rahul

anujkadyan
August 4th, 2004, 10:39 AM
First of all I would want to thank Dr. Birbal sir for including me into the list and for initiating this topic.

Here is a brief introduction about myself...

I did my engineering from REC Trichy in Instrumentation and Control Engineering in 2003. I joined Wipro Technologies in July and was put in the Telecom and internetworking domain.
I worked on a product of Nortel for Optical NMS. Later on i moved to the Gurgaon office of Wipro and here i was working on a product of Ericsson..again in Telecom domain.

I have worked in Java and C++ on Unix platform(HP and Solaris). I have worked on Java swings as well.

I finished one year with Wipro and now I have joined Oracle IDC in Hyderabad.. here I am in the financials group...Currently learnign about Oracle applications framework.

Well I am relatively very young compared to most others who are very experienced.. but then I assure u I have all the enthusiasm to be a part of something like this and would surely give it my best.

Regards,
Anuj Kadyan

rameshlakra
August 4th, 2004, 11:43 AM
birbal ji
ram ram ....very rightly pointed out that instead of wasting time on silly post which leaves everyone in bad taste ( the moderators are off to sleep , i think ) it is a lot better to do something worthwhile .

well , i had posted about jat NGO namely YUVAJAT ;it is been grossly behind schedule but definately on .

i am not a hi-fi technical guy like rest of them but i would call myself technical sound and ready to learn .

leave me a note if ur coming this side ; delhi ..i have just been shifted here and i would be glad to be of any help u sought .

coolguy
August 4th, 2004, 03:06 PM
Hello Birbal ji...
it's good to see that someone is really interested in doing something positive and constructive for our community...
well myself amit rana
i have just joined Tata Motors(Pune) as Senior Engineer in Productivity services department..
i joined after completing my Masters from IIT-K
this is just the begining of my carrear..
i am here to provide anytype of help for my community.....though i will get less time in start due to traiing period and ofcourse starting period...

shobhitdeshwal
August 4th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Not much about me,
here I go :-
Edu. 2004 M.S. (Physics)- IIT Delhi
Worked on- Fibre Optic Communication systems, superconductivity electronics, microwave generators,nano band filters for communication, I.C. Technology, smart windows,
Cannot join the force of lead I.T. people still having a good knowledge of softwares, if I could be of some help i'll feel delighted.
Shobhit Deshwal

anilkc
August 4th, 2004, 08:18 PM
Looking at replies so far, we have the technical pool and we certainly do have enthusiasm and energy.
We have ideas and ppl with experience and capability to convert that into a good product.
...whats missing?
Experience in business developement and market research. Anyone who can help us analyse the business plan and if the product can really sustain the plan ?

Another set of thoughts:
I asked myself the following Qs, and my suggestion is that u too do it:
Am I willing to leave my comfortable jobs for this?
Am I willing to invest my savings into this?
At what stage do I need to firm up my ans to the above Qs?
Under what condition will I chicken out?
Is my family ready to take the heat?

amitshokeen
August 4th, 2004, 08:19 PM
I did my BTECH from REC Kurushetra in 1996.
Presently working as Lead Eng in JP Morgan chase bank in Boston

birbal
August 4th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Anil,

You have raised valid questions. But, I think none of you have to leave your comfortable job for a while. If you all pool your brainpower to come up with a sound product/business plan lot can be achieved with little money of your own.

The last question in my view is the most important. Your family's full support and cooperation is absolutely essential.

anilkc
August 4th, 2004, 10:03 PM
Thanks Birbal ji for words of encouragement.
Trying to narrow down the scope of the future "Jat Inc"...we probabily have 2 choices:
A service based company or a product based company. I may not be using the exact business jargon, but the basic idea is to explore in the right direction.
Service based: consutancy, outsourcing, ISP, etc etc , the tcs types.
Product based: selling software/hardware solutions, designs, equipemnts etc etc, e.g., i-flex, microsoft, cisco, dell types.

I would like to get a feedback from u all on what type of core business model we should we be looking at. I feel more comfortable dealing with products rather than services.

sanjeevmalik
August 4th, 2004, 11:11 PM
Few more questions to be asked
1. What is the type of market to focus on?
2. Where is the market to sell product/services?
3. What are the individual strengths? (Degrees are good foundation stones but what strengths does an individual sells or can sell?)
4. What can an individual develop, which is saleable?
5. What is the level of drive or risk taking capability of individual?
6. Do you think you are a team player?

anilkc
August 4th, 2004, 11:46 PM
From the replies so far, I can divide the members into following locations:

Americas East Coast:
Dr. Birbal Singh
Rajdeep
Anil
Rahul
Amit Shokeen
Sanjeev

Americas West Coast:
Ajmer

India:
Anuj
Ramesh
Amit
Sobhit

Let me know if someone has a new location than whats in there profile.

Looking at the geographic distribution, for all of us to meet may be difficult initially or at least one grp has to join in at odd hrs. So, I suggest that we chat individualy first and then exchange notes and then we can come to a suitable time frame for all to meet.

Also, since this chatroom is public and some may not like to share there views here, i would suggest that we use msn or yahoo messenger or meet face to face or over phone if possible.

amitshokeen
August 5th, 2004, 12:31 AM
There is another category too . Like imports and exports . there may be people in INDIA or inUSA who want to import or export stuff.
We can do somehting in that area too along with IT

sanjeevmalik
August 5th, 2004, 08:17 AM
The Indian IT industry will grow to Rs 2,47,000 crore ($55 billion) by the end of calender year 2008 from Rs 87,000 crore in 2003, according to a latest study.

"The Indian IT industry will witness a compound annual growth rate of 23.1 per cent between 2003 and 2008 with exports growing 25.3 per cent and domestic market 18.5 per cent," the study by market research firm IDC said.

In 2003, the Indian IT industry grew 21 per cent at Rs 87,000 crore ($19.5 billion) from Rs 72,000 crore in 2002, and in 2004 growth will be 26 per cent with IteS expected to log 51 per cent growth.

"The higher growth in exports between 2003 and 2008 will be contributed primarily by the business process outsourcing or IT-enabled Services which is expected to grow at a high compound annual growth rate of 36 per cent.

"IT services export is expected to grow at 19 per cent during the same period," Kapil Dev Singh, country manager, IDC (India) said while presenting the study during 'Directions 2005'.

IDC said the domestic market has revived with 17 per cent growth in 2003 after seeing the lowest growth rate of six per cent in 2002 in the last 15 years. "This growth rate has been made possible on the back of strong global economic recovery. The other pluses have been 8.2 per cent GDP growth and rising corporate profits," he said.

The growth in 2003 makes India the fastest growing and fourth largest domestic market in the Asia-Pacific region.

"The growth trend in domestic IT market is going to peak in 2005 at 21 per cent with all three components -- hardware, software and services -- expected to grow at a decent pace," Singh said.

Source: http://us.rediff.com/money/2004/aug/04it.htm?headline=$55~billion!~Indian~IT~set~to~bo om

sabeena
August 5th, 2004, 05:28 PM
Respected Dr. Birbal Singh Jee and All on this thread,
Unconditionally, I agree with u when u say hint upon better utilization of the precious web world. I too have often marked upon its optimal use. We are so lucky to be living in an age where the world exists electronically! And despite being thousands of miles from each other we can greet each other in a webvillage called Jatland.
And an actual village scenario- where the barter system existed. We all have unique things, ideas, qualities, talent, most of all exuberance and energies to actually barter for better of our community, our people and our lives.
Driving down from Delhi to Hisar last weekend after a gap of about 6 years, as I wheeled through the villages that fall on the way...I was aghast...men still sit together beating cards and gurgling their Hookahs all day long!! So much of worthwhile energy, man-hours just rise with the Sun and are washed off by the twilight...if I may say, it pains to see this happen in the region I belong to.
Friends, so when we talk of technology and gizmos and geeks... I would say my genuine concern is that can we make some effort to churn out the energy out of our people, shake them up...I don't know how...I guess, some brainstorming will help. Toying and playing with ideas over and over again will help bring out a ripe form.
Dear All,
I am a communication professional, and look after facets like marketing communication, corporate com.,etc.
With all u techies out there I think u will certainly need some creative input right from conception to delivery of ur ideas.
Regards to u all.
Sabeena

uday
August 5th, 2004, 05:29 PM

singh1981
August 5th, 2004, 08:10 PM
I think we are going in a wrong direction ..........before posting any other mail lets read the mail of Dr. Birbal again.........
============================================
"But when I look from the point of view that what could be accomplished through the joint effort of all the talented young people on this site then I feel rather disappointed. There has not been a united effort to pool the talent on the site. I did find few posts where some members have tried to invite others into action but with futility"

==============================================

instead of just posting your tech. profile also suggest some good ideas to meet that challenge........
the mail is not about to post ur tec. background.......he already said that there r many good people with strong tech. background.......and great mindset

The idea is How to use that talent ..............?
there r several question in my mind

1) What is the challenge.Clear and concise ........not like this we want to start somthing good/new/for helping somebody/etc but what somthing.
2) What do u exactly mean by joint effort? IS there any plan to open a tech. group with various field. if that so.. personaly feal that its not a good plan,because there r lots of such group already present with people all around the words like linux open source etc. and in our group i think we don't allow people from other community to join that grp.(because of some other reasons.......lets don't discuss that)

3)
4)
---

kahin aisa na ho ki ek josh kai saath sabh uthain ......aur ek dhaka khakar gir padein..........

Pls correct me i any one find some thing wrong........

thanks,
Sukhbir

rajender_dahiya
August 5th, 2004, 08:14 PM
Dr. Birbal Ji,

When I read all the posts from various profession, I am odd man out, I do not know whether I can contribute to this group.

I did my Engineering in Fire Protection from Nagpur University. Worked as Fire Engineer in IPCL for 5 years, then worked as Safety Advisor in Saudi Arabia Petrochemicals, and presently working as Safety Engineer in refineries of Kuwait. I have highly recognized safety qualification from USA i.e., Certified Safety Professional (CSP). I am canadian immigrant and will be in Canada next year.

Very good knowledge of International Safety Health and Environmental standards.

Regards,

Rajender

anujkadyan
August 5th, 2004, 08:40 PM
Well it s a nice point raised but i think it will surely help us to take a better step forward if we know exactly about with various technologies and domains whose expertise we have over here...

Also i think once that is done.. some one should take a lead role and shuld start inviting ppl for brainstorming sessions.. this can be done in groups since it will not be possible to have it together with all the ppl..

Regards,
Anuj

srajdeep
August 5th, 2004, 09:52 PM
As pointed by Anil I think many people here will not like to share their ideas on a public forum. Also as anil suggested I think we should start a new mailing list or something so that all of us could start throwing ideas at the group and start brainstorming on them.

Sukhbir jee you raised a good point but before we start shairing ideas we have to know about each others skill set that is why Anil asked us to tell about our background.
So far most of people here are IT people so I think most of the discussion willl involve IT. now we are left to find a problem to solve which could be anything. IT/Non-IT. So we need people from other professions as well to tell what challanges they face in their profession and then everyone see if their is a economical implementation to it. Dr Birbal jee did a good job of choosing initial set of people from different background.

I don't think most of people who are sharing ideas here (not so far but will hopefully) are interested in linux like venture. (If someone is interested I am interested in some GNU type project also). But most probably it will be a business venture but I can't say that for everyone.

Anil are you going to create a group and organize the idea exchange process or do you want me to create a yahoo group so that people who are interested could join the group and we could start the discussion?

thanks
Raju

anilkc
August 5th, 2004, 10:26 PM
When running a corporation, we require people from all diverse fields. For example, whatever we do, we surely will require Sabeena's expertise.

What I am trying to do for start is to get familiar with each others expertise and interest.
Ppl with similar goal can come together and brainstorm their ideas. For example, a set of ppl may be strongly interested in setting up a call center in India, while others in developing the next generation of routers. Some may explore all areas and then decide what to do.

ratananmol
August 6th, 2004, 01:07 AM
Dear DR.Singh:
i am in india right now with an awful internet connection; for people with queries and drive to elicit information about economics can write to me at ratananmol@hotmail.com; i will come up with the optimal strategies to smoothen this enterprise once i get back to usa.
Best for all
anmol.

anilkc
August 6th, 2004, 06:40 PM
Assuming a grp of members here develop an idea abt a product "JATS=Just Any Techie Stuff".
Now what should be the next step ?
I hear ppl saying do market research to get feedback on ur idea. How exactly do I do this "market research" ?

For getting external funding, we definitely need a document called "business plan". Any one here who can help the "techies" write this document.

birbal
August 6th, 2004, 07:16 PM
Anil,

You have good responses so far. May be you take the lead on the American side and Anuj on Indian side to organize some discussions first. You also have advantage of several of responses from Boston area.

anilkc
August 6th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Some of us have already intiated conversation on this. Will keep u all updated. At any time if any feels like joining in, they are welcome to do so, just drop me a line.

sabeena
August 9th, 2004, 12:16 PM
Respected Dr. Birbal Singh Jee and All on this thread,
Unconditionally, I agree with u when u say hint upon better utilization of the precious web world. I too have often marked upon its optimal use. We are so lucky to be living in an age where the world exists electronically! And despite being thousands of miles from each other we can greet each other in a webvillage called Jatland.
And an actual village scenario- where the barter system existed. We all have unique things, ideas, qualities, talent, most of all exuberance and energies to actually barter for better of our community, our people and our lives.
Driving down from Delhi to Hisar last weekend after a gap of about 6 years, as I wheeled through the villages that fall on the way...I was aghast...men still sit together beating cards and gurgling their Hookahs all day long!! So much of worthwhile energy, man-hours just rise with the Sun and are washed off by the twilight...if I may say, it pains to see this happen in the region I belong to.
Friends, so when we talk of technology and gizmos and geeks... I would say my genuine concern is that can we make some effort to churn out the energy out of our people, shake them up...I don't know how...I guess, some brainstorming will help. Toying and playing with ideas over and over again will help bring out a ripe form.
Dear All,
I am a communication professional, and look after facets like marketing communication, corporate com.,etc.
With all u techies out there I think u will certainly need some creative input right from conception to delivery of ur ideas.
Regards to u all.
Sabeena

anilkc
August 9th, 2004, 07:59 PM
To move fwd, i would like to initiate a view from all whats considered "HOT" field today and has a good future. The idea is to get a focus on what industry should we target at.
Based on inputs I have so far, the list includes:
1) Security
2) Voice over everything
3) Wireless (Wi-Fi stuffs)
4) SAN
5) Gaming/Entertainment (audio/video processors and displays)

Any suggestions are welcome.

birbal
August 9th, 2004, 09:09 PM
This thread seems to be going well so far. Being in a comfortable job of a tenured prof for too long I may not be able to contribute much to your immense talent but I would like to give you couple of unrelated examples to keep your spirits high.

In 1972 George McGovern, the presidential candidate for the Democratic Party ran a unique campaign. For the first time in history, he succeeded in getting the nomination of the party through a campaign headed mainly by younger activists (his campaign manager, Gary Hart, was only 34 at the time and others were much younger). McGovern was defeated but the youngsters maintained their network and many of them became Senators/Congressman/Congresswoman/Governors and Bill Clinton became the President. I will not be surprised that a few years from now many of the younger people who propelled Howard Dean's campaign to a major force but lost in the end will occupy high offices in USA. So, a well organized effort never goes waste if you keep your network going.

In another example, two of the bright young guys (both Ukranian-Canadians) I knew as my daughter's classmates through high school and medical school had a hobby of playing computer games. They became practicing doctors but converted their video game hobby into one of the most successful video game company (Bioware) in the world. They are still practicing medicine (and one of them is married to a Jat girl) but they employ 70 people in their company and their company is listed as one of the 100 best Canadian companies to work for.

So, one thing I can say for sure that if you pool your talents and keep your network going you will succeed now or soon in the future.

anujkadyan
August 9th, 2004, 09:34 PM
Another thing to notice is that the Jatland can boast of the best and talented Jats..Not sure if there is some other network of jats with sucha broad and immensely talented pool.
So if we have to do it.. we have to do it from here...

Regards,
Anuj kadyan

ajmer
August 9th, 2004, 11:34 PM
anil chaudhary (Aug 09, 2004 10:29 a.m.):
To move fwd, i would like to initiate a view from all whats considered "HOT" field today and has a good future. The idea is to get a focus on what industry should we target at.
Based on inputs I have so far, the list includes:
1) Security
2) Voice over everything
3) Wireless (Wi-Fi stuffs)
4) SAN
5) Gaming/Entertainment (audio/video processors and displays)

Any suggestions are welcome.

Yes indeed. Also, the carrrier technologies are going to converge in such a way that you will have a single pipe coming into your house carrying voice, data and video. That will require lot of storage at the backend as well as into your house. Which means there will be opportunities for making all these different types of device work well with each other. This also has opportunities in the areas of content management, network management and storage management.

Another area where a breakthrough technology is needed is to make the computer a network computer / thin client. I know some big companies (Orcale) have tried this idea. But I think the reason it didn't succeed was because of the lack of applications. If someone can provide the same set of applications (word processing, spreadsheet, powerpoint) on a network computer then I think this will definitly succeed. So there are opportunities in this area as well. You as a startup or small company don't even have to take it all the way there. Any meaningful step in this direction provides huge opportunities.

I know that making a consumer product is really very difficult and almost impossible for new/small companies. It requires huge technical as well as marketing resources. So for new startups the easiest and safest exit is probably to implement the idea to the extent that it can be demo'd and then approach other companies who might buy you out for your idea.

Thanks.

-ajmer

anilkc
August 10th, 2004, 01:32 AM
There are a series of thoughts by Rajesh Jain archived at:
http://www.samachar.com/tech/featarchives/archives.html

He has some interesting ideas and analysis.

anilkc
August 11th, 2004, 12:08 AM
Home > Business > Columnists > Guest Column > G V Dasarathi

Are Indians really dumb?

August 10, 2004

'The whole process where people get an idea and put together a team, raise the capital, create a product and mainstream it -- that can only be done in the US. It can't be done sitting in India. The Indian part of the equation is to help these innovative US companies bring their products to the market quicker, cheaper and better, which increases the innovative cycle there. It is a complementarity we need to enhance.'

-- Nandan Nilekani, CEO, Infosys, quoted in The New York Times, March 7, 2004.

More on:
http://us.rediff.com/money/2004/aug/10das.htm

http://in.rediff.com/money/2004/mar/03guest1.htm

Its high time to prove these ppl with inferiority complex wrong. But there are a few good points made here.
"When you dream a big dream, maybe a small part of it gets translated into reality. If you do not dream at all, what do you finally get in reality?An entrepreneur must have self-confidence bordering on arrogance."

scsheorayan
August 11th, 2004, 07:51 AM
Dear All,

Actions speak louder than words. If you really want to do some thing. Forget what some one said and what some one did, libraries and now internet is full of theory. None of them will help any one achieve any thing unless some one translates the theory in to action.

Here is a simple plan which may work. Come up with a product or service budget it resource it and manage it properly. Some consumer durables or FMCG ideas may be quite workable for the current environment in India. Any takers?

anilkc
August 11th, 2004, 09:55 PM
sorry..could not figure out how to attach document...will try later

anilkc
August 12th, 2004, 12:34 AM
Could not attach the complete document, so i am writting it in brief down here.
Stage 1:
Idea Generation Process (Pre-Concept)
Goal:
•Prepare a preliminary business case, product description, and recommendation whether to proceed with the Feasibility and Planning Stage
•To provide an estimate of the resources and costs required during the next stage

Anyone who is interested can individually or collectively in a grp can come up with an idea with the above goals in focus.
Stage 1 will be a 3 step process:
1) Presention
2) Discussion
3) Decision

I have a more detailed 4 pg document, if anyone is ineterested pls email me. Ur comments and corrections are welcome.

anilkc
August 13th, 2004, 09:57 PM
We, and I'm being pejorative about us here, tend to have hazaar good ideas, but few implementation plans.

The other part is a complete lack of will to put our money where our mouth is. Everytime I write one of these strategy papers, some industry consortium-wallahs will salivate and write back: 'We must do something immediately, saar -- tomorrow morning, if possible.' And then deathly silence follows for months on end.

You see, it turns out that some glittering India-terrorist trade exhibition in Lahore, offers a lot more free beer and adda sessions, than any real initiative could promise.

read on:
http://us.rediff.com/money/2004/aug/13ariban.htm?headline=Column:~The~path~to~'super~i nnovation'

birbal
August 13th, 2004, 11:10 PM
Very good article indeed. One of my Polish friend used to tell me "Polish people have done some great work but unfortunately, after leaving Poland." It seems it is true for India too.

ajmer
August 13th, 2004, 11:29 PM
Very interesting and relevant article indeed.

Silverlining is that at least we are talking about it.

I really like the idea of some meaningful partnerships between the businesses and research institutes or universities. If there is too much bureaucracy even there then some of the private engineering colleges can make good partners.

-ajmer

anil chaudhary (Aug 13, 2004 12:27 p.m.):
We, and I'm being pejorative about us here, tend to have hazaar good ideas, but few implementation plans.

The other part is a complete lack of will to put our money where our mouth is. Everytime I write one of these strategy papers, some industry consortium-wallahs will salivate and write back: 'We must do something immediately, saar -- tomorrow morning, if possible.' And then deathly silence follows for months on end.

You see, it turns out that some glittering India-terrorist trade exhibition in Lahore, offers a lot more free beer and adda sessions, than any real initiative could promise.

read on:
http://us.rediff.com/money/2004/aug/13ariban.htm?headline=Column:~The~path~to~'super~i nnovation'

anilkc
August 16th, 2004, 11:50 PM
The rewards that come from doing "the impossible" are greater than those associated with merely doing the expected.

-Bruce Claflin, Bruce Claflin , 3Com's current President and Chief Executive Officer.

rkumar
August 17th, 2004, 12:26 PM
Dear Friends,

After going through most of the posts, my suggestion would be that Jatland group can make the best impact in pooling its resources to set up teaching/ training institutions to begin with. Education is a big market in itself. We can set up specialised teaching institutions in the same spirit as our fore fathers did to start jat colleges and DAV colleges with the difference that new institutions can be at par with the best in the world. Education is the key to everything else and its benifits will perculate all the way down to our community. Let us aim at starting just one model institution first. No one will have to leave the comforts of their present job to run such enterprises.

Rajendra

tajveer
August 18th, 2004, 03:11 PM
Thanks Birbalji for initiating this topic.

Here is a brief introduction about myself:

Professional Information:

Name: Tajveer Solanki
Education: B.E, Poona University, Electronics and Telecomm. Engineering & MBA (Marketing & IT).

Work Experience:
HCL Technologies Ltd., Chennai: 1 year
working as a Business Analyst in the Online Financial Services (Transaction Management) Domain.

Vedaris Technologies Ltd., Delhi: 2 ½ years
worked as a Business Analyst in the Financial Domain- for Derivatives & Fixed Income securities market.

Dansel System Ltd., Delhi: 2 years
Worked as a Sales engineer, selling computer systems and structured cabling.

Skill Set:
Business Analyses, Business Plans, White papers, Research papers, Account Maps, Functional specs, Project Management & UML Tools etc.
Soft skills: Negotiation skills

Regards,
Tajveer

anilkc
August 18th, 2004, 08:10 PM
Good to see u here, Tajveer.
I beleive, everyone had enuf time to think abt something and go beyong 1 liners and its time to start documenting the thoughts. I have found this to be very useful in bringing clarity and comparing 2 ideas.

sonalisingh
August 21st, 2004, 09:01 PM
What's going on with this effort ? This
thread seems to be getting quieter. Or are
the people involved busy in discussions/plans
outside ?

Have any concrete ideas materialized ?

birbal
August 21st, 2004, 10:07 PM
Sonali,

Nice of you to keep a tab on this thread. However, if you look at the first posting, the time frame was 5 years, not 5 weeks.

One of my colleague has a very interesting poster. It shows a man sitting comfortably in his chair with his feet on the desk. The caption reads "They said it can't be done. So, I did'nt do it." If every one took that attitude it will be a different world.

Sonali Singh (Aug 21, 2004 11:31 a.m.):
outside ?

sonalisingh
August 21st, 2004, 10:37 PM
Of course Dr. Birbal. Absolutely. I think the most important thing is to keep taking those first steps. One thing I have seen here in the Bay area is that it is not coming up with the best/ideal idea that makes things happen, but it is actually doing something with the ideas that one does have.

A lot of very successful people are the ones that just dived in and started to make things happen. In some cases, the idea/business models were not that great. But once these people dive in with the "can do it/did try it/learnt a lot from it" they come out a lot experienced and are then better able to taken on newer idea/projects.

In case you felt that I was being cynical, please don't. I am very eager to see something happen with this. I'm just afraid that this effort might just wither away after the initial excitement and energy. But I am sure you'll keep tabs on this and keep guiding the members here.

But if there is anything of use I might say is that don't wait around for that ONE idea that is sure to succeed, but find some decent ideas and embark on "getting something going". Trust me when I say that a lot of the CEOs/Exec that have been catapulted to their current positions are there because they were among those who just ventured out and tried something...in many cases with very lousy ideas.

Dr. Birbal Singh (Aug 21, 2004 12:37 p.m.):
Sonali,

Nice of you to keep a tab on this thread. However, if you look at the first posting, the time frame was 5 years, not 5 weeks.

One of my colleague has a very interesting poster. It shows a man sitting comfortably in his chair with his feet on the desk. The caption reads "They said it can't be done. So, I did'nt do it." If every one took that attitude it will be a different world.

Sonali Singh (Aug 21, 2004 11:31 a.m.):
outside ?

anilkc
August 23rd, 2004, 06:31 PM
Hi Sonali,
Thanks for sharing ur concerns. I dont know what everyone else is doing, but there is at least one team which is doing some serious thinking. To give a name and shape to this team, its being considered to get a company registered. Since, everyone on this team is a teachie, its been difficult to understand the pros and cons of each approcach. We are having a discussion on a couple of product ideas and trying to figure out the basic stuffs on the business front, like:
1) Name of the company
Since we dont know what product we will work on or we may actually try a couple of different ideas before we hit the jackpot, my suggestion is to have a generic name, like "Bangaya Systems".
2) Should it be LLC or Inc
LLC was pretty simple to understand, INc seemed a bit more complex to get the actual picture.
3) Which state should it be registered in
The first impulse is to register it in ur own state. Some online readings suggested to consider the state for registration carefully, but other than some differences in state fees, could not understand much. There are lots of other Qs too, like, If i register in state x, but the business has workforce (sales/support/developer) in other states, do i have to register in all states? How is it taxed?
Also, need to understand the shape of office in India.

Any suggestions/help from members is welcome. Any member is welcome to join this team, but u have to take the initiative. Live Idea discussion is not taking place in this forum, bcos not everyone is comfortable in sharing it openly with people whom they dont know. I will try to update on our status, at regular intervals or if a significant event take place.
Good luck and cheers to all.

sonalisingh
August 24th, 2004, 09:25 AM
Thanks Anil for the update. Its great to see that some activity is going on here. I guess your initial efforts will be focussed in refining your ideas for the product/service and coming up with a detailed business plan. I guess you'll need a thorough biz plan to pitch to
potential VCs.

And don't forget about the NDAs (Non disclosure agreements if you feel these are warranted).

Do keep us updated on your efforts and how things are shaping up.

anilkc
August 24th, 2004, 09:42 PM
You wanna quit your job but...
http://live.indiatimes.com/ppt/230804/index.html

sanjeevmalik
August 25th, 2004, 02:06 AM
A good source to help define the entrepreneurial capabilities of an individual at no cost.

http://www.eauth.com/
(The Entrepreneur Authority )

anilkc
August 25th, 2004, 06:08 PM
Must read for small businesses:
http://www.toolkit.cch.com/
http://www.sbaonline.sba.gov/
To buy or sell an existing business, search for business broker on web.

anilkc
September 3rd, 2004, 10:04 PM
Update:
So far: There is at least 1 "great" idea. Its related to automating testing of wireless gears (802.11/wi-fi stuff).
Currently: Working on finalising the "wish list" of product features.
Next Step: Technical feasability study, resources requirement (staffing/timming/MONEY) planning.

shamsher
September 6th, 2004, 02:06 AM
Hi,
And Amit, there is another category....although insignificant! Medicine! I am sure Dr. birbal is far more experienced in the ways of the world here and also given the benifit of age and experience to him. I personally believe this is too important field to be ignored( ignoring my opening quote)

raj2rif
September 6th, 2004, 08:58 AM
Dear Dr. Birbal Ji,
Thanks a lot for the idea and the discussion it has generated. I am impressed with the response from younger generation. Anil is doing a good job and so are others. Sonali gave a good point that merits attention.

Anil raised a question about registering a company. Well that can be done easily. From the taxation point of view I guess "Delaware" State is the best to register. To start with LLC may be a better proposition. All depends on the number of members.

Business plan is a must and we must not forget the SBA. The capital for the company to be raised by taking maximum loan from the SBA. We also need to have a well thought out marketing plan and I am sure some one in the team will be expert in that.

What we need to do is to start working on any idea for the time being. Apart from getting a company registered, we will also need a merchant account set up.

Then there will be a requirement to built a powerfull website and host it in a way to draw maximum traffic to it.

The organizational set up of the company would be another aspect and an administrator will be necessary to keep every thing coordinated. The HR laws of the state and federal govt would have to be followed.

I would be too happy to join the young team and contribute in whatever capacity I can contribute to their success.

There need to be two organizational set up. One in US and one in India to start with. We can start with a call center in India, that will give us a start to create a database and customer relationship. As the new products and services are developed by the team, that can be added.

What we must do is to start some thing ASAP, so that ball gets rolling and while other products are being developed the business venture starts seeing some cash flow to sustain itself.

Anil Chaudhary Only: Kindly keep me updated through email. I will be very happy to join the chat sessions if in the evening and contribute to this mission's success.

shamsher
September 6th, 2004, 09:25 PM
I am amazed that a field like Medicine has been left out by respected Dr. Birbal Singh! It might not have the due importance in India but i assume that things are not the same here in US! Pretty surprising!

birbal
September 6th, 2004, 09:45 PM
Shamsher,

Before I started this thread I looked at the posts from several active participants on the site and named them in the first post. But, if you read the first post, I started with due apologies to others I did not name.

We do have several bright young people in the field of medicine on this site. I see from your profile that you are specialized in Interventional Radiology. My son is also a specialist in the same field followed by another Fellowship in Nuclear Medicine and he is the Program Director at the University of Alberta medical school.

At present I can say that Anil Chaudhary has taken the lead role in organizing at least one team centered around Boston. It would be great if you take the lead in organizing another team or joining with Anil in some way. I think there are many other competent people on this website but they are scattered around the world. May be someone among the India based people can take a lead role in organizing a team.

As Dr. Budh Nashier's post about his nephew and the Indiabulls.com showed, there is lot of potential here for incubating future success stories. So, once again, Shamsher, I urge you to take the lead role in medicine related ideas.

scsheorayan
September 7th, 2004, 08:18 AM
Dear Birbal ji,

Thanks for the initiative and encouragement. Possiblities are endless but the team has to focus on particular product or service. Hope by now they have made some progress. Members on this site may have some very bright ideas and learn from each other. Confidentiality about a product is understandable but exchange of ideas can be good at brain storming stage. For example I have one idea which I will post here.Members can comment on it's merits and demerits.

Here it is ( I am not concerned if some one wants to use it to his/her advantage it is the ultimate product which could be useful to young generation.);

School children in India and also other countries for that matter have to carry very heavy school bags (some times bag is bigger and heavier than child). With current technology and all the brains we have on this site there must be some way of making their load lighter. There could be various options but the ultimate aim is " Considerable Reduction in weight and volume of school bags at a reasonable price"

Good luck to budding techies and all with bright ideas.

anilkc
September 7th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Thanks Col Tavathia Ji for your insight and support. I will keep u posted.

dchhill
September 7th, 2004, 11:39 PM
I strongly agree but I am not sure about my skills for a startup. I think somebody needs to give time to this project to coordinate it in a professional manner. anyways check me at
http://www.cs.siu.edu/~divyac/Resume.html

Best of luck :)
Divya

anilkc
September 8th, 2004, 12:15 AM
Divya,
I hope we have something by the time u r done with ur MS :D

anujkadyan
September 8th, 2004, 10:39 AM
hi anil,
just a thought.. dont u think automation of testing is something which is gonna be taken over by the free tools available cos of the open source movement..???
I think there are lot of ppl in open source community developing tools for such things...

Dont have very concrete information.. but may be u can try and further find out info on the same..
Cos if we are getting into something where we will have to compete with open sourc community then it will be difficult...

Regards,
Anuj

sonalisingh
September 8th, 2004, 10:55 AM
Shamsher,

Iss post ke saath saath do char ideas bhi de dete. Insiders have the best clue of what is needed.

I guess there are 2 ways of approaching/defining an idea:

o Have a great technology/idea and then seek problems to solve with it.

o Have problems to solve and then find the technologies to solve them with.

The technologists can best deal with the former, but the people with domain specific knowledge (like yourself in the field of medicine) can best deal with the latter.

So perhaps you can provide some problems
within your field that are begging for a solution/technology.

I'm sure it would be very interesting to all of us here who are taking interest in this thread.

Shamsher Singh Dalal (Sep 06, 2004 11:55 a.m.):
I am amazed that a field like Medicine has been left out by respected Dr. Birbal Singh! It might not have the due importance in India but i assume that things are not the same here in US! Pretty surprising!

anilkc
September 8th, 2004, 06:52 PM
Ppl still do automation using scripts like tcl/perl etc. But the problem is to coordinate all tools from diff vendors and hiring engr who can script and also understand the technology. If u can provide a tool which can be run by an engr who is paid peanuts, it will be usefull. Same is true for open src.

Anuj Kadyan (Sep 08, 2004 01:09 a.m.):
hi anil,
just a thought.. dont u think automation of testing is something which is gonna be taken over by the free tools available cos of the open source movement..???
I think there are lot of ppl in open source community developing tools for such things...

Dont have very concrete information.. but may be u can try and further find out info on the same..
Cos if we are getting into something where we will have to compete with open sourc community then it will be difficult...

Regards,
Anuj

aksaharan
September 9th, 2004, 07:25 PM
I agree with Anil about having a very narrow focussed approach. Since no one wants to be full time involved in it, Products design is the best effort that the group can put in.

anilkc
September 9th, 2004, 08:34 PM
Any suggestions on what to use for developing a windows based application: VC++ or C# ?

anilkc
September 13th, 2004, 06:28 PM
waiting for some feedback ?

anilkc
September 13th, 2004, 06:34 PM
Maj.Gen. (retd.) Ian Cardozo, vice-president of the War Wounded Foundation said: "Navin has proved that destiny is not a matter of chance but it is a matter of choice. His life is a saga of courage."

sunil_kumar
September 14th, 2004, 02:35 AM
Hi All,
Actually I'm new to this site....I was reading this thread. Its really a great effort from all you guys.
I don't know if I can join a conversation in the middle.I just couldn't stop myself by replying.
If I'm not allowed to write on this thread, I'm sorry to bother you guys.
I'm a Software Engineer working on Microsoft Technologies(C/C++, C#.Net, VB.NET, ASP.NET, XML and SQL Server).

Note- VC++ or C#:- I would like to say something here..As I have been working in this field and doing all the programming stuff...I'll suggest that we should do something in a technology which is HOT in the market"...upto my knowledge .Net(DOT NET) has a great market..as many companies are trying to convert their old/new projects into .Net technology.

Regards
Sunil

anilkc
September 14th, 2004, 05:35 AM
U r always welcome, sunil!
I was trying to figure out whats best for writting an application which is not only GUI intensive but also interacts with NIC device drivers and does a lot of low level communication with other devices on the network. So, what do u suggest VC++ or C#?

sunil_kumar
September 15th, 2004, 02:36 AM
Technically VC++ sounds better for writing an application which has device driver interaction.
Its easy to use the Win32 API(for interacting with device driver or device itself) and MFC(for creatting a GUI) in VC++. Also VC++ compiler is capable of compiling WDM (Windows Device Manager) drivers.Also most of the microsoft components are written in C so it can help a programmer to write new components based on old components.

Hope it helps!
Sunil

anil chaudhary (Sep 13, 2004 08:05 p.m.):
U r always welcome, sunil!
I was trying to figure out whats best for writting an application which is not only GUI intensive but also interacts with NIC device drivers and does a lot of low level communication with other devices on the network. So, what do u suggest VC++ or C#?

ssdalal
September 15th, 2004, 03:34 AM
I would suggest to use C#.net to develop GUI parts and VC++ to develop COM objects as middleware.

Developing GUI with VC++ takes lots of time. C# much is easier and one can develop much fancier UI with it.
We can use power of VC++ by developing COM components that can interact with O/S level calls or other processing centric modules. Integration betweenn C# apps and COM is not too difficult.

anilkc
September 15th, 2004, 06:28 PM
thanks for ur input.

anilkc
September 15th, 2004, 08:20 PM
for those in silicon valley:
may be some of u can try to attend this:
http://www.siliconindia.com/events/WirelessVentures/

anilkc
September 16th, 2004, 11:04 PM
http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/articleshow/851345.cms

shailendra
September 17th, 2004, 12:29 AM
Dr. Birbal Singh (Aug 03, 2004 09:55 a.m.):

But when I look from the point of view that what could be accomplished through the joint effort of all the talented young people on this site then I feel rather disappointed. There has not been a united effort to pool the talent on the site.

So, I am writing this post to challenge the youthful, talented and energetic members that instead of spending time on writing silly posts do something more productive. I see immense opportunities in the next economic upswing and you have all the resources to take advantage of it.

Here is my suggestion:

Schedule sessions for brainstorming to come up with a plan to use the technical talent and financial resources available through the site. We have talented people from many fields on this site and there is lot of potential for synergy.

Let us do something meaningful rather than wasing time on writing silly posts.

Birbal Singh

Mr. Birbal Singh/Anil, I have been keeping abreast of the string of posts on this topic and even though my initial interest had been till now caught up with the very positive initiative of this post...of course one cannot blame me now to slowly lose interest with the very 'techie' recent strings, which are not at all down my line....

In any case, I come from an Architectural and Design background and even though I am not sure if there are more people here with the same interests....I am gonna post some details anyways, just in case it starts another string of queries and dialouge and/or if I can be of any help to anyone:

Here goes:

Bachelors in Architecture: Institute of Environmental Design, Anand (Gujarat)
Masters in Arch. (Suburb & Town Design): University of Miami, FL USA

-Shailendra

anilkc
September 17th, 2004, 10:14 PM
Dr. Birbal Singh (Aug 03, 2004 09:55 a.m.):
Believe me, if needed, lot of venture capital (millions of Dollars) can be raised from this site alone.
Birbal Singh

Any idea on how to raise millions of Dollars from this site ?

birbal
September 17th, 2004, 10:59 PM
Anil,

Once you have a credible business plan, I believe ways can be found at each stage to convince people to invest. I can say this from my experience as I was appointed on the Board of Directors of Innovation Ontario Corporation for five years in the 1990s (you can call it a political patronage) by the Ontario Government. We had a budget of about $20 million per year to support the development of early stage, technology based businesses. We used to usually give about $300,000 to $500,000 for these start up companies. Several of them succeeded including Open Text Corp, Descartes systems, Waterloo Scientific, and Research in Motion.

Various states and provinces have such organizations to support budding entrepreneurs. In addition, I am sure there are individuals on this site who can spare some money if they see some potential. However, considerable work is required to come to this stage. I can discuss some ideas with you if you email me your phone number.

ajmer
September 18th, 2004, 12:05 AM
Folks,

Anil has a very good idea in wireless technology area. He has written a good product description and a product functional spec.

Wireless is definitely a very hot area and there is just too much growth potential in this sector. You will see wireless incorporated in almost every device in coming years. Already wireless networking is taking over everything.

Some people have suggested that there will be open source tools for testing wireless devices. Yes, there will be open source tools but there will still be people making money even with those open source tools. Lot of money is being made today with Linux (arguably the biggest open source project). IBM, HP, DELL are probably the biggest beneficiary of Linux. There are so many other small companies who put embedded Linux in their devices (Cisco, Broadcom, Linksys ...).

Also, normally, open source tools are made available for very generic situations (horizontal markets). You will hardly find very well tested and packaged tools for very specific situations.

Wireless is a growing area. So many new companies are already working in this area and so many companies are starting to work in it. In most cases, I would think, the companies have in-house teams for developing test cases to test their products. Now if some one can offer a comprehensive test, performance analysis and certification tool which can be purchased for say 10000-25000 dollars, the companies will be very much interested in that than putting two people (or one person) for six months (50000-100000 dollars). Time is most important in technology (especially in US). So, six months in time + (50000 to 100000 dollars) is just so much more expensive than buying a ready made tool for 10000 to 25000 dollars.

In addition to providing the tools, the company can also provide wireless expertise.

Later on, these tools can be converted into protocol suites which can be offered to customers as protocol stacks which can be easily incorporated into wireless devices to provide the desired functionality, once again as a time-to-market strategy.

We are still taking baby steps with this project and can use any help we can get in terms of guidance, technical, marketing, financing, legal, other...

Thanks.

-ajmer

uday
September 18th, 2004, 12:20 AM
Bhai Ajmer,
good thinking and correct approach..

Ajmer Dahiya (Sep 17, 2004 02:36 p.m.):
Folks,
Now if some one can offer a comprehensive test, performance analysis and certification tool which can be purchased for say 10000-25000 dollars, the companies will be very much interested in that than putting two people (or one person) for six months (50000-100000 dollars). Time is most important in technology (especially in US). So, six months in time + (50000 to 100000 dollars) is just so much more expensive than buying a ready made tool for 10000 to 25000 dollars.

In addition to providing the tools, the company can also provide wireless expertise.

We are still taking baby steps with this project and can use any help we can get in terms of guidance, technical, marketing, financing, legal, other...

Thanks.

-ajmer

anilkc
September 20th, 2004, 08:50 PM
Is looking into minority stakes in companies dealing with consumer broadband, Wi-Fi, storage network, VoIP and network security.
http://www.ciol.com/content/news/mgas/2004/104092002.asp

satyeshwar
September 21st, 2004, 09:02 AM
Hi folks,
I have a very profitable business proposition.
I am a part time student and I can vouch for one thing as can most students in America. Book prices are touching skies!! So much so that this was the single biggest issue in most universities this year. Books for us techies cost 100-200 Dollars easily. Some Indian students try to get their books from India and the same books cost them ~ 500 Rupees. NOW, if somehow we can open an internet bookstore that sells 100-200 Dollar books for even half price (i.e $ 50) and it cost us 1000 Rs (i.e $ 20 -> book price + expedited shipping & handling), that could mean big profits.

There are a few challenges though! We need an exteremely solid infrastructure, some reliable people who can take shipping orders and ship the books within a matter of hours.

What does everyone think about this? Oh and before anyone asks why I haven't started this myself yet.... Well, I don't have either the capital or the resources in India to take such a big responsibility.

anilkc
September 21st, 2004, 05:29 PM
its a good idea, but i think it will be illegal. if u look at the books published in india by the US companies, they are specially marked for lower price and it says us can sell it in only limited countries whic are mostly saarc nations. u cannot export those books back to USA.

shailendra
September 21st, 2004, 11:51 PM
anil chaudhary (Sep 21, 2004 07:59 a.m.):
its a good idea, but i think it will be illegal. if u look at the books published in india by the US companies, they are specially marked for lower price and it says us can sell it in only limited countries whic are mostly saarc nations. u cannot export those books back to USA.

Where would the issue about the pricing stand if one just ordered them online?...

satyeshwar
September 22nd, 2004, 12:00 AM
Oh I see. Well thanks for clearing that up.

anilkc
September 22nd, 2004, 07:24 PM
Good reading:
http://www.startupjournal.com/

anilkc
September 27th, 2004, 11:28 PM
Nap time returns, for a price
advertisement

Has a late night out or a bad night's sleep left you yawning at the office? You're certainly not alone. There's a cure, and people are willing to pay for it.

http://moneycentral.msn.com/content/CNBCTV/Articles/TVReports/P95221.asp?GT1=5100

anilkc
October 12th, 2004, 09:01 PM
How do entrepreneurs make it work?
read on..

http://www.siliconindia.com/magazine/Fullstory.asp?aid=ECW338111710

anilkc
October 12th, 2004, 09:05 PM
http://www.indiainfoline.com/lega/vefu/ch01.html

jatrix
October 13th, 2004, 10:59 AM
dear sir,
i would like to know what exactly is going in this direction.... the automated testing of wireless gears... who all r involved n where exactly is this thing shaping up??...
i think i'm too young to help in the efforts of this thread.... but would like to be involved in them.... i may be of some worth once i pass out fom my institute
read about the idea of reselling of low price editions of tech books in US n europe... well before venturing into any biz i believe we must know exactly about the customers n the ground reality of the place where we r going to operate...!!
though there is not much capital investment involved.... but wat if the law enforcement is too strict there??... i 've heard those nations have very strict check on copyright acts n all!
we may end up in hot water...
dont know much abt the topic , myself!
naresh

anil chaudhary (Sep 03, 2004 12:34 p.m.):
Update:
So far: There is at least 1 "great" idea. Its related to automating testing of wireless gears (802.11/wi-fi stuff).
Currently: Working on finalising the "wish list" of product features.
Next Step: Technical feasability study, resources requirement (staffing/timming/MONEY) planning.

anilkc
October 13th, 2004, 06:36 PM
Not much change in status since last update. Still working on writing the business plan (needs to get the financial part right). Product specs is complete and working on project dev plan (what to do when and how to do it). What I am learning is that its a very tedious process and its absolutely necessary to plan it meticulously. With limited resources (human and money) the speed is slow, funding will speed up the things. But before we can think of funding, we have to get our plans staright, so its a chicken and egg situation.

It would be great help if anyone here knows some investers who would be interested in listening to our plan or better still if anyone here is willing to invest if they like our plan. Pls do write an email or private mesg to me if u can give any pointers

rajeshrathee
October 14th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Dear All
I read the topic today itself. Really its a very good start and hats off to the initiator. I am not having any technological background but I am a Sub -Inspector (Executive) in Delhi Police, presently looking after the passport division of Delhi Police. Beside it i have computerised the passport section of Delhi Police, searching of records of individuals, of Delhi Police & concept of decentralising the process of depositing of passport application forms (a novice in highly technical persons around).

What i make out is that we should think of starting a corporation as the concept of SAHARA INDIA. It should indulge in multiple fields but initially we should start with a field where we have more expertise like software or outsourcing from western countries to our country, we must help or utilise our work force from our country and gradually reaching the grass root lavel.

AS FAR I AM CONCERNED I AM READY TO INPUT WHATEVER I CAN

with regards

rajesh

ajaym
October 17th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Hello everyone,

Good to know that we Jats are putting efforts together .

I am currently working as Assistant Manager with GE Capital International Services, placed at Overland Park, Kansas - US and working on following technologies -
1. Citrix Metaframe.
2. Microsoft SMS
3. Microsoft Active Directory with Windows 2003.
4. Software packaging - WISE package Studio and SMS Installer.
5. Veritas Netbackup .

Please let me know in case I can be of any help.

Thanks...

Ajay Malik

anilkc
October 27th, 2004, 06:47 PM
The 1st draft of business plan is ready.

"The main objective of ABC Inc. is to establish itself as the industry leader in the testing of wireless devices based on IEEE 802.11 standards by providing a cost-effective software product suite that simplifies and automates the testing of devices within a WLAN."

anilkc
January 18th, 2005, 09:48 PM
experience so far:
1) Its very difficult to take risk
2) You need good network of ppl with passion and trust
3) There is no magic biz/investment which will make you rich overnight
4) Be patient

Anyone with new ideas on how to move fwd?

devdahiya
January 19th, 2005, 12:01 AM
This happens to be the 100th post in response to the thread started by honourable Dr Birbal jee.I am indeed feel previledged to post my comments.I find every body very enthusiastic on paper[that is also not bad] but nobody is clear as to what are we up to? We have selected a team to discuss....BUT WHAT? Infact it is again the same old story repeating itself.....Who came first
HEN or EGG?

Every one out here means good for the community and it is amply supported and demonstrated by intellectual pen downs.So far so good.My question to all of you is very simple and that is...When are we going to get into the act itself? Fix one target,how so ever small it may be,nominate leaders for that task,generate required funds and act quickly in right earnest so that people at large start beleiving us as movers. Again this needs sacrifice of highest order.HERE I AM TO PROPOSE..............I ANNOUNCE AN AMOUNT OF RS 10,000 Towards giving incentive to the following catagories of young people[ This can be a very small sum part of a larger one as more people come forward]

a] Any jat boy/girl standing 1st in the board/cbse exams in 10th and 12th[amount can be fixed by the committe so formed for the purpose]
b] Any Jat boy/girl getting through to IAS
c] Any boy/girl Passing out with gold medal/sword of honour from Indian military academy/OTA Chennai
d] Any boy/girl excelling in the field of IT or related fields
e] Most progressive Farmer
f] Most progressive Village
g] Best work by a Jat man/woman in the field of social awareness/justice
h] Best Jat politician
j] Best sarpanch..........ETC-2... [By no means this list is exhaustive]

* BIG VENTURES AS SUGGESTED BY YOU CAN FOLLOW SUIT.

Hope i talked sense..............Aggar nahin to MAFF KAR dena.

REGARDS and RAM-RAM

birbal
January 19th, 2005, 12:02 AM
experience so far:
1) Its very difficult to take risk
2) You need good network of ppl with passion and trust
3) There is no magic biz/investment which will make you rich overnight
4) Be patient

Anyone with new ideas on how to move fwd?

Anil,

From a large number of posts by you on this site I can say that you have the desire, patience and tenacity to become a successful enterpreneur. Your analysis above is correct but if you (and your core group) keep at it, you will succeed. I am sure you have read the whole story of Hotmail effort by Sabir Bhatia and there are many others who made it because they did not give up.
So, keep moving forward with determination and you will get at your desired destination.

Good luck.

devdahiya
January 30th, 2005, 08:41 AM
What a concern on the part of Dr Birbal?

brad
February 23rd, 2005, 12:57 PM
kiya hua bhai logon?
is thread ke sath sath baki kaam bhi band hai ya chupke chupke kuch ho raha hai?

birbal
August 8th, 2005, 07:51 PM
This thread started almost exactly one year ago has been dormant for a while. I am pleased to report to the Jatland community that Mr. Anil Chaudhary, has been successful in establishing a startup company. Those interested can look up at http://www.kardea-inc.com for further information on his venture.

Congratulations to Anil for being persistent in his effort and let us wish him the best for a successful future. No wonder we did not hear from him for a long time as he must have been very busy in his new venture.

rkumar
August 8th, 2005, 08:47 PM
Congratulations to Mr Anil Chaudhary. Hope many more people take initiatives to start their ventures.

Rajendra

anilkc
August 13th, 2005, 05:36 AM
Thanks to all for there encouragement and guidance...i have taken the 1st few baby steps and hope to receive the blessing of elders and the same level of support from all in future. I have reduced my visit to this site, but am not gone. Anyone can send me an email anytime and would be eager to pass on the experience to others. thanx once again.

brad
August 24th, 2005, 01:53 AM
http://www.samachar.com/tech/fullstory.html

TECH TALK: India Needs More Entrepreneurs: Start-up!
By Rajesh Jain

The recent issue of Business Week has a cover story on China and India. The bottomline: “The balance of power will shift to the East as China and India evolve.” This was the backdrop of a discussion I had with a US-based venture capitalist of Indian origin who had an interesting take on the problems with entrepreneurship in India. He made four points.

First, salaries in India will rise faster than cost of living which would make it unattractive for employees working with the international majors to quit and create or join a start-up. Second, even the ones who are venturing out seem to be more focused on services than products. Third, the few in the products area seem content OEMing their creation to the market leaders rather than taking them on with full stacks. Finally, Indian companies lack vision to think big and global. I agreed with him on all four counts and added one of my own. It is well nigh impossible to do a tech, product-oriented start-up because angel and early-stage funding is simply not there.

Of course, there are exceptions, but we are not talking about those here. What is under discussion is the need for Indians to venture out into the world of entrepreneurship, build intellectual property and create wealth, which hopefully will find its way back into the system to fund more start-ups. India may be becoming a hotbed of innovation as an increasing share of global R&D shifts here. But Indians are still not making the shift to entrepreneurship and aiming to build the next Microsofts, Ciscos and Googles – we seem to be content working for them.

This week’s Tech Talk is, thus, an exhortation and a plea to arms – India needs Entrepreneurs. They need to go out there and build out the next global giants. In doing so, like in any race, many will fail. But a few will succeed. Together, they will inspire the next generation. That, according to me, will be the real coming of age of Indian technology and entrepreneurship – when we start building the products the world needs out of India. To do this, we need to get out of the comfort zone we find ourselves so happily ensconced in and make the leap.

Two years ago, I wrote a Letter to Non-Resident Indians, urging them to consider returning to India given the changes that were taking place and the opportunities that were opening up. I am glad to say that what has started as a trickle is now becoming a steady stream. It is not yet a flood, but we will get there. This Tech Talk can be thought of as a plea to all the experienced techies and managers sitting in well-paying jobs in India and outside to consider the entrepreneurial route in India. Why and How? That’s the part we will take up in the rest of this series.

scsheorayan
August 24th, 2005, 08:11 AM
Budh Ram ji,

You are right about lack of enterprenual drive in our community. Mainly because of our back ground where there is little appreciation for intangible assets i.e. IP and business good will which leads to risk aversion strategy for personnel life and career goals. Another one is sense of insecurity which prompts us to save for a rainy day. This could be offset upto certain extent by family support which we used to have in abundance. However it is regrettably vanishing with nucleus families and instead of growing in personality more educated Jats seem to be shrinking within their own cells. You can blame Sanskars or parents but the fact remains that factor of selfishness is on the rise in whole of country and Jats are included.

Infact it sudden rush to materialism and total abandonment of our spiritual side which is largely responsible for this downfall in our thinking. Charity begins at home and we have to start thinking beyond our little selves, our families and relatives and think for the mankind and aspire for greatre heights of achievement than mere collection of goodies to satisfy physical needs. Then only we can hope to attain self actualisation and dream about bigger and better things. Hopefuly that day will come. may be not within our life time. But cycle of nature says that it has to come. In the mean time we can focus our energies in doing the best we can. There are plenty of ideas for aspiring enterpreneurs and some of them can be posted here for the benefit of all.

ratananmol
July 7th, 2006, 10:55 AM
Hi Friends:
We have many more people who can provide very useful inputs to aspiring students and/or career professionals...
Besides this we need ideas to streamline how to handle new queries..right now it seems that the forum interface and Prof. Singh are doing a fine job...:cool:

Samarkadian
May 22nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
Guys, I was going through current interesting discussion going in thread 'an open letter....... in another section and a reply by Mr Mukesh Kumar ( reply no 53 and hope he wont laugh at it.) made me dig the past about 'ground work' done by virtual jatlanders.These guys planned about making a company which you can see step by step and final result.This site really needs the genius like Dr Birbal again to participate actively again.

A work/dream is difficult before it become reality and easy.Thanks Bharti ji for opening this nice thread again.

RaviDhaka
May 23rd, 2008, 12:06 AM
Dr. Birbal Ji thanks for starting this topic and for bringing young blood on one platform for making couple of new future "Jat Inc"....

Here I stand:
Education: Mechanical Engineer - 2001 From ITM, Gurgaon
Expereince: I started my career as a GET in Production of Submerged Arc Welded Long seam, spiral seam pipes, coating on pipe (3LPE,FBE,CWC & coal tar enamel). Application of this product is for transporation of high pressure gas & oil.
Worked as a project co-ordinater (Green field project) for Pig Iron making, Ductile Iron pipe making, Coke oven facility at Jindal Steel in Gujarat.
Currently working as a Production Manager in Submerged Arc Welded (long Seam) pipe making facility in U.S

Dear anil, you are right every body should give there feedback in what type of buisness they are interested that will give big help in bringing right persons together.
Well my interest is in few areas like medical services out sourcing (medical transcription, if any body can get contract from Doctors/Hospital in usa we can start this facility in india any time), part manufacturing (if long term contract), Heavy machinery (used) export to india. If some body has a good plan and market i will not mind in doing conventional buisness like Gas station,food store,etc..

Thanks & Regards,
Ravinder Singh

Thanks Birbal ji for words of encouragement.
Trying to narrow down the scope of the future "Jat Inc"...we probabily have 2 choices:
A service based company or a product based company. I may not be using the exact business jargon, but the basic idea is to explore in the right direction.
Service based: consutancy, outsourcing, ISP, etc etc , the tcs types.
Product based: selling software/hardware solutions, designs, equipemnts etc etc, e.g., i-flex, microsoft, cisco, dell types.

I would like to get a feedback from u all on what type of core business model we should we be looking at. I feel more comfortable dealing with products rather than services.