PDA

View Full Version : Haryanvi in Syllabus: This is news. (From Tribune)

sonalisingh
August 13th, 2004, 08:44 AM
http://www.tribuneindia.com/2004/20040813/haryana.htm#3

Syllabus revision puts Hindi teachers in a spot
Raman Mohan
Tribune News Service

Rohtak, August 12
Hindi teachers in Haryana’s colleges are up against a formidable problem. They are looking for teachers to take lessons in Haryanvi dialect so they can teach their students in turn.

The problem has arisen as the universities have introduced new syllabus for Hindi from the current session for BA III in which traditional Hindi verses and prose have been substituted with Haryanvi poems and prose and not many of these teachers know or understand this dialect. The same is true of students, especially those hailing from urban areas. They have no choice either since Hindi is a compulsory subject.

Teachers say Haryanvi dialect was not taught to them either during their schooling or at undergraduate and postgraduate levels. As such they have no idea of the traditional Haryanvi, especially the kind spoken in the countryside decades ago. Many of the poems included in the syllabus comprised part of ‘Haryanvi Saang’ which is now a rarity even in villages.

They say the traditional poems included in the syllabus have lost their relevance since long. For instance, there is a poem in which the poet exhorts the youth to join the British Army. The poem was penned during World War I when British officers went to villages to recruit Indian youths as it was short of able-bodied men at that critical juncture.

Here is how it goes: “ Bharti ho le re, tere bahar khade rungruit, ade mile tannein toote litter, othe milein full boot, ade milein tannein faatte chithde, othe milenge suit, ade milein tannein sookhe tikkad, othe milein biskoot”. (Get recruited, the recruiters are outside your door; here you wear worn out 'juttis', there you will get shoes, here you wear torn rags, there you will get suit; here you eat dry chapattis, there you will get biscuits).

They say nowhere the poem teaches the youth to serve the Army to defend the country. The poem only lures them with goodies promised by the British to youths from poor rural families. There is no hint of patriotism in the poem.

They have serious objections to the “tukbandi” in many poems in which English words have been used to maintain rhyme. Another problem is that the number of poets whose works have been included in the syllabus is around 28. Teachers say students will find it difficult to comprehend so many poems.

Teachers also lament that many poets included in the prescribed collection can hardly be called litterateurs whose works would merit inclusion in a textbook. Moreover, no reference books are available for teachers which they could consult to know the literary styles and lives of these poets.

The syllabus was revised on the recommendations of a committee of experts of MDU and Kurukshetra University following a directive from the University Grants Commission.

ishwarlamba
August 13th, 2004, 10:09 AM
Dear Sonali Beta,
Thanks for posting this article.
I like the following lines.

Here is how it goes: “ Bharti ho le re, tere bahar khade rungruit, ade mile tannein toote litter, othe milein full boot, ade milein tannein faatte chithde, othe milenge suit, ade milein tannein sookhe tikkad, othe milein biskoot”. (Get recruited, the recruiters are outside your door; here you wear worn out 'juttis', there you will get shoes, here you wear torn rags, there you will get suit; here you eat dry chapattis, there you will get biscuits).

After 1857, the people round Delhi where suppressed. Only during World War I & II, these people by going to army had exposure to other areas and even other countries. Because of these army people who became JCOs, their next generation became smart officers in armed fources otherwise jats could be worst.
Any way let us be proud of our culture.
with regards
Ishwar Lamba

sonalisingh
August 13th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Ishwar Uncle:

What I also wanted to highlight here was the
attitude of the teachers. I presume most of them are non-Jats, and they certainly do not seem very open to the introduction of Haryanvi within the Syllabus.

I think we should do our part in encouraging
such moves whenever possible: monetray support to authors; political support for those who help maintain Haryanvi in the limelight; our own frequent and open use amongst ourselves...and so on...

If anyone here is aware of how this happened (introduction of Haryanvi within the courses), and who was responsible for this, I would certainly be interested in learning about that. This was news to me, and a very good one at that.

Frankly, I have a deep rooted fear that within a few more generations we will gradually see Haryanvi becoming "extinct". And I would really hate to see that happen.

jagmohan
August 13th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Ishwar Ji, very well said. Indeed the recruitment of JATS by the British in the Army was one of the reasons for progress of our community.

Fears expressed by Sonali Ji about the future of our langaage/dialect are valid too. There was a very interesting thread on this topic earlier on JATLAND.

In my view it is the well to do sections of our community who shy away from speaking in our dialect for the fear that 'what will others say'. At least that is what I have experienced in the Army. It is the duty of those who are well to do, educated, living away from home in all parts of the country and world to continue to speak and write in our language. We owe it to the generations to come as there is no language that is as rich as ours. A JAT can express himself best when he uses his language.

rameshlakra
August 13th, 2004, 02:43 PM
dear jagmohan ji , lamba ji ram ram AUR sonali ji aap te bhi mere ram ram

well ....even i didnt see the advantage of using british recruiters funded poem to lure our guys and thereafter its relevency here .

what i did like was the very desi lyrics .......yaade milee jut , ude mile gey boot ......and believe me it made my day , i just felt so happy reading it .........ghanee bhundee tuk jamma rakhi se baanan aale ne .

u r right ....the haryanvi will be extinct by this rate , my logic to save it is ........when we are with our people we should only converse in either english or haryanvi ( or shall we call it jatoo) ......well u would be ask me .....why english ? ...my logic is that then one would be more confident and proud to speak in haryanvi .

if good people do not leave their roots and show it to the world that they respect their customs and traditions , it becomes a fashion statement and stays in vogue.

navingulia
August 13th, 2004, 05:22 PM
I agree with everybody here.
A person who can not be proud of himself, his family, his land, his society, language and culture, is worth nothing.
Best thing about Haryanavi?
Saying as many things in as many words.
Pride in speaking in Haryanvi, should be there. I always do that.

But would I be wrong if I say
English being the language of education in India and ofcourse the world, needs to be promoted for educational upliftment. Most Jat students suffer in todays competition because of that.

akhil
August 13th, 2004, 06:30 PM
...What an interesting piece of information!!!...Very, very amusing indeed!

To think how shrewdly the Britishers must have gone about their task of getting 'scapegoats' for their colonial ambitions...

Having said that, it is a valid concern to not stop encouraging the Haryanvi dialect in these modern times ever...But I would never go to the extent of start getting worried about it becoming extinct; A visit to any place in Haryana (even the Cities) will prove that. People use it with passion and without embarrassment, be it just Jats or Punjabis, Muslims or anyone else living in the area....

India is a land where they say the local dialect and language changes within every 20 miles approximately. Each region treasures it's dialect with passion and is proud of it. That's what makes this nation unique even in the eyes of most Knowledgeable foreigners...and Haryana and the Haryanvi language is no exception. We who love this language speak and use it wherever we are...it reminds us of our roots however far we live and that passion and reality alone will never let this or any other dialect ever wither away...

I think Jatland is unique that ways too where UP kee bhashaa aer Rajasthan ki Jaatu , Harayana ki latth maar... sab mila kare!!!

haritta
August 13th, 2004, 08:11 PM
great news i wish they introduce harayanvi in school too. I enjoy speaking harayanvi and more so after coming to USA. Been here for almost 30yrs now. got tired of going to parties and watching two gujraties speaking their language all night long. The only way i got them to talk in hindi or english was i started talking to them in haryanvi and they would ask what ru saying and i would tell them if u quit gujrati which i dont understand i will speak in hindi or english. well friends anyone who loves to talk in haryanvi is welcome to call me here is my number 706-373-7666 or give me their numbers if not here then can email me i will call them and talk in haryanvi

baljit

jat1977
August 13th, 2004, 08:12 PM
I am sure these teachers will be very happy if Punjabi is introduced as a compulsory subject.

I studied in a Punjab college and there Punjabi was compulsory for everyone. Imagine a hindi speaking guy reading & writing punjabi at graduation level. Atlease anyone who understand hindi can read and write that. They can also understand 80% of that. Those who can not they are advised to take a printout of Jat Dictionary at this site and get high marks :-)

Baat asal mei dusri sss. In refugees ne haryanvi bolne mei sharam aawe ss. Sharam naam ka inke beez nahi hai or haryanvi bolne mei sharam ;) Mei to kahoon ki extra hindi master jo haryanvi nahi bol sakte nei kaadh kai scoot mei Tau bhrti kar lo.

Sonali Singh (Aug 13, 2004 02:10 a.m.):
Ishwar Uncle:

attitude of the teachers. I presume most of them are non-Jats, and they certainly do not seem very open to the introduction of Haryanvi within the Syllabus.

such moves whenever possible: monetray support to authors; political support for those who help maintain Haryanvi in the limelight; our own frequent and open use amongst ourselves...and so on...

If anyone here is aware of how this happened (introduction of Haryanvi within the courses), and who was responsible for this, I would certainly be interested in learning about that. This was news to me, and a very good one at that.

Frankly, I have a deep rooted fear that within a few more generations we will gradually see Haryanvi becoming "extinct". And I would really hate to see that happen.

akhil
August 13th, 2004, 08:39 PM
Punjagiyaan kya khatir ne Jaatu bolenge? Phir bhi, I had friends that were not jats but spoke fluent Haryanvi...(when in Rome do as Romans do...) for them it was a matter of be there or be square!...

Plus remember, just like I mentioned in my earlier post too...Jats are not just limited to Haryana...there are almost equal number representation from Rajasthan and Uttar Pradesh (etc.) which follow a slightly different dialect!.....and I have even read of responses from some members where they insisted that some of us stick to either Hindi or English, so that everyone can enjoy the content of the post....and there is nothing wrong in that request, That alone should go a long way in telling you that it should be a case of every man for himself... Speak, write and follow the language that you hold dear the most...

ishwarlamba
August 15th, 2004, 03:28 PM
Sonali Beta,
Never mind, what u wrote is perfectly right.
Also thanks very much Col Malik Sahib and beta Ramesh.
I just became emotional on the haryanvi poem and also gave my historical aspect just in a broad contect and just become happy to see many people as officers in armed forces at least field where we are dominating.
In this context I will like to add Haryana Govt's contribution by giving scholarship to Haryana students selected in a sanik school any where in India.
Sanali keep on bringing new information u are a bold lady, we need your help and also encourage other ladies so that this will not a boys club.
regards
Ishwar Lamba
---------------------------------

Sonali Singh (Aug 13, 2004 02:10 a.m.):
Ishwar Uncle:

rsdalal
August 15th, 2004, 07:02 PM
One way to contribute in this cause, is by writing some supportive articles for Haryanvi Language and try to get them published in few news papers. Most probably we will see many articles against this in comming days from Non Haryanvi's(Or non Jats) in Haryana.