PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of Michael Moore

anujkumar
August 26th, 2004, 05:22 PM
Have you people seen any of Michael Moore's movies,

Roger and me
Bowling for columbine
F - 9/11

I like his work very much. Someone in India should also produce these kind of documentries.

www.michaelmoore.com

His oscar 2003 acceptance speech:

I’ve invited my fellow documentary nominees on the stage with us. They are here in solidarity with me because we like nonfiction. We like nonfiction and we live in fictitious times. We live in the time when we have fictitious election results that elect a fictitious president. We live in a time where we have a man sending us to war for fictitious reasons, whether it is the fiction of duct tape or the fiction of orange alerts. We are against this war, Mr. Bush. Shame on you, Mr. Bush. Shame on you. And any time that you have the Pope and the Dixie Chicks against you, your time is up.

abhishek
August 26th, 2004, 07:18 PM
Anuj Kumar (Aug 26, 2004 07:52 a.m.):

I like his work very much. Someone in India should also produce these kind of documentries.

We alredy have our share of Michael Moore´s back home, may be doing more harm to India than Moore could ever do to US of A. Rather I would say his types form the rank and file of indian intelligentsia.

anujkumar
August 26th, 2004, 07:57 PM
Who are they?

Where can I get their movies?

shailendra
August 26th, 2004, 09:42 PM
Abhishek Dhama (Aug 26, 2004 09:48 a.m.):

Anuj Kumar (Aug 26, 2004 07:52 a.m.):

We alredy have our share of Michael Moore´s back home, may be doing more harm to India than Moore could ever do to US of A. Rather I would say his types form the rank and file of indian intelligentsia.

Michael moore is probably enlightening people of the fact that the topmost leader of a Country (USA in this case) is after all supposed to be a servant of the masses and not a self imposed Tyrant King. [...and I would hardly call that doing harm to his country...]

I think we have our share of Moore's version's in India too and with the new millinea things are coming out of the closets, exposed, laid bare.....and scandals of all kinds etc. are not as easy to pass off as they used to be...Here's to more power to the masses!!!

rahul_malik23
August 27th, 2004, 08:56 PM
Source -
http://dailypioneer.com/indexn12.asp?main_variable=NATION&file_name=nt8%2Etxt&counter_img=8

Fahrenheit's success spurs Indian filmmakers

Satarupa Bhattacharjya/ New Delhi

The success of Michael Moore's documentary film, Fahrenheit 9/11, both inside and outside the United States, has enthused film makers here to engage the Government in a discourse on the right to expression -- through cinema.

In continuation of their efforts of easing up the country's censorship norms, particularly with regard to films that make political statements, leading directors will to participate in a week-long documentary festival, opening in the Capital on Friday.

What Shyam Benegal, Adoor Gopalakrishnan, Mrinal Sen or Aruna Vasudeva, have, for long, described as "mindless censorship" by the Censor Board of India, will be the focus of Open Frame 2004, organised by UNESCO and the Public Service Broadcasting Trust of India (PSBTI).

"Censorship of films, especially documentaries, has become more rigid after the Gujarat riots. While many films have been banned from public screenings by the Censor Board, they have been shown at festivals abroad and also in India," says Rajiv Mehrotra, managing trustee of PSBTI.

Moore's anti-George Bush film, for instance, was subjected to severe scanning by the US Censor Board and allowed screening only after amends were made in it as per the board's prescription. The film has been widely appreciated by people who wanted to voice their anger against the Iraq war.

Back home, Rakesh Sharma's documentary, Final Solution, a statement against the Gujarat riots, suffered a censor ban under the Cinematograph Act of 1952. The film, however, remains open to viewing at festivals.

Mr Mehrotra says, "Fahrenheit 9/11 proved that despite political pressure, film makers can express themselves as strongly. This right to free expression is what we are fighting for. The festival may help the Centre realise that people should be exposed to varying viewpoints even if they are volatile."

Another film, The Shadow Line, based on politics around emergence of the Telengana movement, was banned by the Censor Board. Its director then went and appealed to the courts for a stay on the ban. But, the courts did not consider the request.

Eventually, the documentary saw its way through to central universities after the University Grants Commission cleared it for screening on recommendations of the HRD Ministry.

In India's nascent documentary film industry, censorship anomalies are a part of the problem. Lack of finance and technology in the sector, quality of content and public access to such films, are others.

Open Frame, which enters its fourth year now, is being promoted by PSBTI to facilitate not just a larger debate on issues like censorship but also encourage civil society groups to make documentaries which could be financed through the organiser's initiatives.

An average documentary film in India is made at a cost of Rs 5 lakh, while in global markets, the average cost is $1 million.

manu20
August 27th, 2004, 10:37 PM
I've seen F-9/11 and I've heard Moore's other movies are good. I believe F-9/11 was made to show the "real" intentions/actions of the Bush admin. that is not shown on American news. American news is completely pro-Bush. Most importantly F-9/11 was made to affect the November election so Bush can lose. ;D

'Fahrenheit 9/11' Provokes Arab Reactions:
http://abcnews.go.com/wire/Entertainment/ap20040814_1160.html

shailendra
August 27th, 2004, 11:55 PM
Manu (Aug 27, 2004 01:07 p.m.):
I've seen F-9/11 and I've heard Moore's other movies are good. I believe F-9/11 was made to show the "real" intentions/actions of the Bush admin. that is not shown on American news. American news is completely pro-Bush. Most importantly F-9/11 was made to affect the November election so Bush can lose. ;D

..Oh you should see how the Bush admnistration is fuming about it...