PDA

View Full Version : Administrators/Moderators and Member Group of Jatland:

bnashier
August 30th, 2004, 11:35 PM
I would like to make a few points home to all of us. These thoughts are driven by the simple philosophy that if we don’t say anything to correct something that we believe could be much improved, then the impact of silence is more harmful than the risk of letting the thoughts out. Let me start with some philosophical notes here.

Many of us engage in activities/works in life with all good intentions and high hopes to make an impact on our lives and of those who come in contact with us. Along the way, we come across many situations that we may not like. Let me highlight just of two cases.

1. Someone says or writes something about our work or effort that is not correct (I mean the truthfulness of the statement is not correct.) If it is done on a public platform and the statement is not correct, sooner or later public will realize that the statements are false - and we don’t need to waste our energy to defend ourselves. In fact, we often increase risk of more mistakes as a result of some hasty actions. We should keep ourselves busy with our mission that matters. It is a difficult but a very high road IF we can take it.

2. Someone says or writes something about our work or effort that is correct. If it is less than flattery, we have an option to improve ourselves or maintain status quo. Choice is ours.

Let us come to Jatland now, and a specific incident that triggered my post.

Note: I weighed the option to write to administrators as a private note, but, since it involves all members, a public post is the right option.

Very surely enough, writers MUST refrain from any language that is less than appropriate or any thing that could potentially bring bad results. Once that norm is observed, rest is a matter of opinions and free speech. We simply have to respect that on a public platform, otherwise the entire outlook and results of our efforts would change.

In the current incident, some member wrote a post on August 29, 2004 on the thread “www.********.net launched.” That post was not vulgar in any shape or meaning. Its content reflected the author’s belief that the administrators/moderators take anything out if it is not pleasing to them. THAT IS ALL, unless I missed something. Now that post is gone.

Let me give the administrator/moderator the benefit of the doubt in that the statement was false. Then let it stay there and you have nothing to worry. The audience can decide and ignore that post, siding with you that it was just a bark. If an author writes to us a personal note then we have the luxury of using a click of a mouse to remove it. If something is written as a public post, then public should exercise its discernment. If someone becomes unduly abusive of any administrator/moderator, public will certainly note that and will run to defense. By REMOVING that post you have turned his statement into TRUTH. You just removed it as he was saying that you do that!

I will end the current message here simply because hereon we are all free to use our own thought process.

shailendra
August 31st, 2004, 01:23 AM
...Mr. Nashier I think it is important too not to miss the point that maybe it is also the Moderator's job to pre-empt on a string of posts that may become controversial (and/or already becoming so with each reply)...

But then in all fairness, I do agree with you though to some extent that when it comes to a post or a discussion, one should trust the members discretion on; their ignoring a post (if it is cheap and below contemplation) or responding in a nice positive way (when it is a valid sane argument)...

Easily discarding it away if it is the former, while allowing a healthy discussion to happen when it is the latter.

anujkumar
August 31st, 2004, 05:25 AM
Best strategy is NOT to take anything and everything here THAT seriously.

shailendra
August 31st, 2004, 06:47 PM
Anuj Kumar (Aug 30, 2004 07:55 p.m.):
Best strategy is NOT to take anything and everything here THAT seriously.

..I agree!

jat1977
August 31st, 2004, 10:22 PM
Administrator Bhai/Behan, aisa julm na kara karo. Itni mehnat se likhi hui posts aise hi delete mat kara karo. Ibke is post ne delete kar ke dikhao, mei bhi lathi le ke baitha hoon, jaun sa aawega, uska hi sar phod doonga... aa jao....

raj2rif
September 5th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Dear Mr. Ramalia,

I have not understood the meaning of your post. Could you please explain it further. To me it does not look in good taste, may be I did not understand it.

gaganrana
September 6th, 2004, 08:11 PM
Co. Sahab: yeh purani kahani hai...about launching www.********.net where people had put their different views...which were contrary to each other...!

Col Virendra S Tavathia(Retd) (Sep 05, 2004 11:25 a.m.):
Dear Mr. Ramalia,

I have not understood the meaning of your post. Could you please explain it further. To me it does not look in good taste, may be I did not understand it.

rameshlakra
September 7th, 2004, 05:47 PM
budh ji
ram ram
if what u have said is true , then i am afraid it is a bad day in the history of this site .
we must all condemn this act and uphold the tradition of democractic debates/suggestions.

rkumar
September 7th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Free expression of views is fine and we are all for it. However, when some member starts threatening the other with the possible use of force in real life, what does one expect moderators to do ? When some one is called Son of B****, does one expect moderators to look other way? Rights do not come without responsibility.

I have some suggestions here. Let us see if there are any takers. Let there be a free for all language section where there can be full freedom to use any type of language. I know many younger members feel that language should not be the bareer for any meaningful discussions. I am sure on experimental basis we can start such section on this site where members can use abusive, threatening or any type of language to push their messages across. Any member can enter that section after signing the terms and conditions where site mangers can not be held responsible for any offensive use of words by anyone to anyone. Those of you who want total freedom, can surely make use of that section. Let it be like a smoking room of this website with clear signboard " YOU ARE ENTERING THIS SECTION AT YOUR OWN RISK". I am 100% sure, many will come out of this room with bleeding noses and will never ask for 100% freedom in the use of language..However, let us give it a try...who knows, we all might like it in the end to be there...hahahaha

Rajendra

scsheorayan
September 8th, 2004, 08:08 AM
Democracy is a great thing and comes with great responsiblity also. Problem comes when people refuse to behave irresponsibly and start crying foul when appropriate response is received. No rational person should expect to insult others and expect respect in return. It simply does not work that way. Let us run an experiment in real life before we can talk about doing some thing on Jatland to condone vulgarity. Who ever wants to participate in it should try and just use foul language and upset some one known to him/her and see what response is received. Freedom of speech is fine but so is the freedom of retaliation. You are free to choose your language but not the response received because that is some one else's reponsiblity. Let me narrate a small story here to support the above statement. Here it goes; In a village there was one elderly lady at home and one guest arrives. He was a young man who believed in freedom of speech and wanted to practice it as a guest of the house. Lady was too old to prepare proper food but was kind enough to ask him that she could prepare Khichdi for him if he likes. Being hungry he was delighted to hear the offer. She started preparing khichadi and this young man started asking all types of questions about the family e.g. how many children and grand children she has, what they do etc. She replied as politely as she could indicating that all of them should be home by night fall. Then he poited to height of the landing at fornt gate (Dehal).It must have some purpose and by that time lady was irritated by his barrage of questions. What broke camel's back was the last question that young man asked which was "When your buffalo dies you will have great difficulty in dragging it over the dehal" It was a valid statement but lady had enough of him and poured the hot cooking khichadi over his head in desparation to shut him up. Young man runs in the street scalded with hot khichadi. First person who met him asked what happened and what is it dripping over your head. His answer was that it is the juice of my sweet tongue. Enough to say that some one who wants to emulate him can expect similar juice of his tongue or keyboard. Please Think about it.

jagmohan
September 8th, 2004, 09:30 AM
Dear All,

The most effective 'Moderator' is your own conscience. I have absolutely no doubt that when we comment on any topic, each one of us is fully aware of what he/she is writing.

Like I have commented elsewhere most members here are known to each other and many have met or may meet in person, like I have met a number of members from this site in person (I shall keep the names confidential though).

Disagreeing on issues is something that happens everyday and that should not be a cause of concern at all. We must be careful about the language we use, as language used is reflective of personality indicators like 'upbringing', 'domestic atmosphere' and 'Sanskars'.

Should each one of us were to realise that everyone is a moderator in his own way, we can move on and make positive contributions.

Regards,