PDA

View Full Version : What is Our traditional Dance!!!

apoonia
September 3rd, 2004, 01:26 PM
Hello everyone just wondering what is our traditional Dance like ever other community as we have enough time to evolve and settle its been heaps of centuries that we are here rooted but what about our traditions why r we not able to find our tradition and why r now we so confused about ourself and history ......nothing but some querries which is bothering me for a while .......anyone can satisfy me please do reply thx......

rkumar
September 3rd, 2004, 01:35 PM
Amit Poonia (Sep 03, 2004 03:56 a.m.):
Hello everyone just wondering what is our traditional Dance like ever other community as we have enough time to evolve and settle its been heaps of centuries that we are here rooted but what about our traditions why r we not able to find our tradition and why r now we so confused about ourself and history ......nothing but some querries which is bothering me for a while .......anyone can satisfy me please do reply thx......

I am really not sure if we Jats in UP at least have any traditional dance. Punjab Jats have bhangra, In Brij they have Ras leela type dances on Holi. Ladies in UP villages used to dance in Fagun but again I am not aware of men folks taking part in any type of dances except these days during weddings...

There is a saying in our villages which goes like this;

" Nachche nakta gawe kujaat, bhidan wale ke jaat ne jamat "..

This is a very old saying and certainly won't apply in modern times. All one can make out from this saying that in olden times our people did not associate dancing and singing with good habits.

Rajendra

jagmohan
September 3rd, 2004, 02:42 PM
I have read it some where that our traditional dance in Haryana is called 'Dhap'. I myself don't know what it is. May be someone would come out with some interesting facts.

However, I can tell you what I used to tell my South Indian friends in school when they use to tease me as to 'Why Haryana has no culture but just agriculture'? My reply used to be on these lines:

1. When your forefathers were perfecting various dance forms mine were struggling with invaders.

2. Had we perfected our dance forms, the invaders would have reached you and then I would have asked you the same question.

In lighter vein: I thought all JATS considered Dharmendra's dance in Movie 'Pratigya' as our traditional dance. The one sung with two 'daroo' bottles hanging "Main JAT yamla pagla deewana..."