PDA

View Full Version : Women status is getting better..........

utsedh
January 11th, 2002, 08:44 AM
This is in reference to the various views, about women status in india and especially in our community, which were hyped (i guess) here in negative sense. Every body discussed only one aspect of this issue.

In my opinion, fortunately the status of a woman in our community is not so bad as discussed in here.

There has been tremendous development in past years not only in big cities but in villages as well. Yes, there are still some problems but those problems exist in all communities and no one in our community supports them.

Now we have schools in villages and if school is not available in village, girls are going to near by towns/cities for education. In some cases even i have seen that people from villages go to near by towns/cities and live there in rented houses with their children(boys and girls both) in order to getting better education to them. You believe it or not but i have seen so many girls of my community from villages coming to my town for not only schools but private tutions very early in the morning and sometimes going back to home late in the evening. Don't worry, if you don't believe this i am not going to say that you are living on some other planet.

Indian government is also taking active part in order to uplift women status in almost every area of society not only in urban but in rural area too. These days you can find so many ladies who are the head of a villages (Pradhaan).

And now you can find women from villages going to near by towns/cities to watch movies, do shopping etc. and ofcourse eating "Chat Pakodi" there.

So this was all about women status in our villages.

I think there is no need to describe the situation in our big cities because you all are well aware about the developments in there. And ofcourse you might have seen some side effects of this liberlisation too (you know what i am talking about).

- Utsedh

ranjitjat
January 11th, 2002, 08:19 PM
DEAR UTSEDH KUMAR BHAI ,HAHHY NEW YEAR2002.GREETings & ramram.I agree with you partly that women status gettings better w ith education. view express by SHASHI &other also right'domestic violence.early marriage.job discremation&gendar problems all there.women have to fight for equal rights like women of the west.we are only better than taliban &muslim countries.lot of under standings and awakening required

utsedh
January 12th, 2002, 10:09 AM
Dharam pal ji ram ram, aur aapko bhi naye saal ki shubhkaamnaye.

This is the main problem of us that we always try to compare us with west. We think that western culture is always the best whatever men in west do is right and whatever women do is right.

But we ignore the fact that in western culture when a teenager girl come home late night(probably couple of hours after midnight) and when parents ask her why she got so late, you know what reply parents get, they get "This is none of your business". And some times if parents searches their teenager daughter's purses,wallets,drawers or some other personal items, you know what they find.......they find "pills". These are just few highlights of western women features. I don't say that everbody is like this in western cultures but if these things happen, this is not a surprise. So this is what the women in west have achieved on the name of freedom.

Are we (our community) prepared to see these attributes in our women ?

- Utsedh

rajeshsindhu
January 12th, 2002, 03:54 PM
friends,
every society/culture/contry has some bad things and some good things as part of its practices. Real improvement comes from taking best of others and retaining best of ours. The real issue here is 'how can we improve women's social standards'; not who is better - east or west. lets accept what is good in west and reject what is bad in west as well as in east; also lets retain what is good in east.
Regarding women's condition in out community, its not much different from other communities in India. We know more about our community so we say it more. But things seems to be improving, but at a snail's pace. No doubt there are, unsurprisingly, side effecs also. And most of these side effects are because of incomplete education, or, half education. Half knowledge is worse than no-knowledge. And many of our so called educated women( men also) are half educated underdeveloped. Today's education hardly preaches any morality( that doesn't mean that today's education is not at all helpful; something is better than nothing). I see and read about lack of morality and sanity even among academically well educated ones. SO many rich and well educated families are involved in dowry, bride burning, wide bashing cases.
So i believe its matter of attitude which comes from social values, ethics and wisdom one holds. And all these good values need to preached/teached at very early stage of one's life. Strong convictions about what is good and what is bad need to developed into a child's mind as early as possible.
i don't think much can be done about already rotten apples. All we can do is to save other apples from rotten ones.

-Rajesh Sindhu

utsedh
January 13th, 2002, 08:19 PM
Rajesh ji,

I absolutely agree with you that we should not blindly follow any society/culture rather we should take only good points from them and save our good things. And before taking any thing from other culuture/society we should first think that our culture can afford it or not. This is really i always try to say to people who are just blind follower of western culture. Our jat culture is not bad we have a lot of good points in that but only thing is that we are not confident and positive about this. Some times i have seen in my community that people even try to hide that they are Jats. This is really very shame ful to me. These types of guys need to be confident and positive.

Thanks,

- Utsedh

ranjitjat
January 14th, 2002, 06:12 AM
DEAR RAJESH bhai I fully agree with you we should have best of the both worlds.keep the best values of indian &western culture.THE JAT KHANDHANI VALUES ARE BEST IN THE WORLD. give your son & daughter best moral education,treat them equal.Get rid of evil custom like dowry,wife washing ,bride burning,alcohalism,girl child abortion as soon aspossible.teach our children hindi and mother tangue hindu religion those who are setteled in the west.make sure they must vist india and our jat heart land home village.we should start
start some noble project for rural jat girls education & welfare of women my co-operation is with you and with the members

scsheorayan
January 14th, 2002, 06:17 AM
Dear All,

Happy and Prosperous New Year 2002.

Interesting thoughts and opinions which are all very encouraging in words and probably in our little surroundings.

However taking a broader outlook one can not ignore that ours is a male dominated society and our fore fathers made a lot of rules in their favour and forgot about females ever being given their due rights.

For a moment let us leave uneducated men and women and concentrate on those who are educated and pride themselves in being liberal, modern SNAG or whatever you like to call. Ask yourself the following;

1. Does a male consider himself more privileged than a female in your family?

2. Is a boy's birth celebrated with more enthusiasm than that of a girl?

3. When the time comes to marry, does the boy's family have moral right to make all the demands and girl's family surrender to all their whims and fancy.
(It includes various expectations not just the dowry and gifts)

Truthfully answered there will be a lot of yes on above three points and a very few NO. It is a very personal matter which affects every one around us.

Our culture is great and better than a lot of other cultures and there is no need to copy any one. We can run with what we have and make it better. That is the only way it is going to work. It is easier said than done and sudden changes never happen. It is a slow process and the change is happening already. Those who consider that some thing needs to be done about it will do so and others will just talk and might go ahead and just do opposite of what they say. (Yes there are a lot of double standards in our society, may be some of us are so naive to believe that people always do what they preach).

Amid all this doom and gloom there is plenty of hope and will do well by supporting the change and making our own contributions to it. Some one has said the Woman who tries to be equal to man lacks self confidence. We all know that women are better than men in a lot of ways. They are different but not necessarily weak and should not accept exploitation as their fate.

Being a man it is not possible for me to describe honestly the feelings of women on this issue but am sure that even now educated and well off families still exploit women and it is up to all of us to remedy the situation.

Best of luck to Jat Women and men too because they are going to need it more than the women do if the current trend continues. Girls are doing better than boys in schools and at home, correct me if I am wrong.

jagmohan
January 9th, 2006, 01:57 PM
Dear All,

One of the good topics that was some how left unattended for a long time. I am sure we can again give a thought.

Regards,

JS Malik