PDA

View Full Version : Mr.V.Sam Singh - Rare Presence in Corporate World

vinoddhaaka
April 4th, 2002, 03:04 PM
Friends We have been present in a substantial way in professions which match our martial traits but our presence had been rather thin outside such professions. It had been rare in top echelons of corporate world. Mr.V.Sam Singh happens to be one such person. I got notice of it while going through his profile that was published in 1998 in Business India as a successful career journey. I recollect and reproduce a short version of the same.
V.Sam Singh was born in a jat family in western UP in distt. Bulandshahar. He completed his engineering degree and after short stint in India in some non descript companies went to USA and joined Du Pont. For those who do not know Du Pont I may explain here. Du Pont is one of mega corporate in USA and one of fortune 500 companies in the world and roughly may be ( estimate ) more than 10 times bigger than biggest Indian company. It is present in a big way in all parts of the world in five continents. To make it more meaningful I relate one interview of Mr.Dhirubhai Ambani. Interviewer referred to Mr.Ambani that Reliance is a big company. Mr.Ambani said
"big is relative. Reliance is not big but see Du Pont which is really big. When one talks to a senior management person in Du Pont about their product the person has to open a catalogue of 400 products to find out which product you are talking about "
Unquote.
Story of Dhirubhai was just to give you folks an idea that how big is Du Pont. Mr.V.Sam Singh worked hard and was noticed as a capapble manager in Du Pont and rose in the ladder sharply. When Indian operations started he was appointed as Managing Director of India operations as a natural choice.
In Y2K he retired from Du Pont and now leading a simple life in his native village. Though his family stays in USA only.
Interesting part is how Virender Singh became Sam Singh. His American colleagues after noticing his Indian ( Read Jat ) accent of English gave him a nick name Sam Singh.
Mr.Virender Singh is an unsung hero of Jat fraternity who broke the trend of martial professions successfully.