PDA

View Full Version : to pursue PhD from abroad

rakesh_sehrawat
July 18th, 2004, 12:08 PM
hi friends
I want to pursue my PhD from abroad but i wants fellowship may this include studentship or assistantship during my research any one that may guide me, his suggestions are welcome. I did MSc in microbiology and now working as research Associate in CCS Haryana Agricultural university.
ok frens

poonam
July 18th, 2004, 12:17 PM
Hi Rakesh,
First of all let me ask u whether u have taken ur GRE exam or not b'cos that is the first step to go for Ph.D. abroad. Then depending upon ur score u will get the university of ur choice Though I did my Ph.D. from India, I'm here for postdoc--- but I know quite a few who are doing Ph.D. here -- they can guide u even better..
good luck
poonam

biotechs2001
July 18th, 2004, 02:46 PM
from where you want to pursue PhD?

Rakesh Sehrawat (Jul 18, 2004 02:38 a.m.):
hi friends
I want to pursue my PhD from abroad but i wants fellowship may this include studentship or assistantship during my research any one that may guide me, his suggestions are welcome. I did MSc in microbiology and now working as research Associate in CCS Haryana Agricultural university.
ok frens

anujkumar
July 18th, 2004, 03:38 PM
Read THE thread:

http://www.jatland.com/cgi-bin/ub/UltraBoard.cgi?action=Read&BID=17&TID=44&P=6&SID=32501#ID103

sindhu
July 20th, 2004, 10:51 AM
Hi Rakesh,

I am giving you some links, these can be very useful if you follow them aggressively. I am really happy to learn that people from HAU do take interest in studying abroad.

If you are intersted, you will get it, there are lot of opportunities, keep trying

www.aspb.org
www.ashs.org
www.apsnet.org
some US laboratories do advertise studentiships from time to time

Also follow the link for available fellowships from different trust and organizations

http://www.education-india.net/scholarships/others.php

Sindhu

Rakesh Sehrawat (Jul 18, 2004 02:38 a.m.):
hi friends
ok frens

jtsagi
July 24th, 2004, 02:20 AM
Hi Rakesh: Here a few suggestions to get you started based on my experience about higher education in US.
First of all you need to take TOEFL and GRE exam before you can even start applying to any universities. Your score in GRE as well your past credentials, statement of professional plans and work experience will play a major role in getting you fellowship for Ph.D. My field is not Life Sciences but I know that majority of the universities in US offer programs related to Life Sciences and in your case it’s MicroBiology. I would suggest applying to atleast 8-10 universities, pick 3-4 high ranking universities, 3-4 medium ranked universities and 3-4 low ranked universities. This way you will be assured of getting fellowship from atleast few universities. Also, if you get it from a low rank university you can always make a transfer after a semester without losing any credits as it’s much easier to network with people once you are here in US. It’s also easier to get visa when you are coming on a fellowship. Since you are already a Research Associate, I am sure you will have no problem in getting admission.

Somebody mentioned about people from HAU taking interest in studying abroad. I personally know 3 people from HAU who are currently in US, came for higher education and now doing extremely well in their own fields, one of them being my cousin who was a gold medalist from HAU. His achievements are even more noteworthy as he switched his major to Computer Science. Switching majors is not an easy thing to do when you are competing with students from engineering background. I am sure there are lots more from HAU who are doing exceptionally well.

All the best!

birbal
July 24th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Rakesh,

Since you already possess a Master's degree and working as a research associate, the most important factor for you is your publication record. The few bright IIT students who come after B.Tech. for Ph.D. are accepted because of their excellent academic record and GRE scores as well as the reputation of IITs, but for people like you who had research experience, productivity in research is the most important factor. Of course, you also need to do well in GRE, meet minimum TOEFL requirement and have good recommendation letters. So, while trying for Ph.D. admission, do your best to publish papers preferably in refereed journals. Once you have publication, it is good idea to follow the suggestions given by Jatin.

sindhu
July 25th, 2004, 01:38 AM
Well Jatin, why I mentioned HAU because I am also a HAU graduate and there is a very few representaion in US from this university where as I know more than 60 students in US doing MS or PhD and came on fellowship here from sister institute PAU.

Thats why I was so happy that people from HAU are also taking interest now. Being such a premium institute, the representaion in US is way low.

Thanks

Sindhu

Jatin Singh (Jul 23, 2004 04:50 p.m.):

Somebody mentioned about people from HAU taking interest in studying abroad. I personally know 3 people from HAU who are currently in US, came for higher education and now doing extremely well in their own fields, one of them being my cousin who was a gold medalist from HAU. His achievements are even more noteworthy as he switched his major to Computer Science. Switching majors is not an easy thing to do when you are competing with students from engineering background. I am sure there are lots more from HAU who are doing exceptionally well.

All the best!

rakesh_sehrawat
July 25th, 2004, 09:46 AM
hi
thanks to everybody for providing such a valuable information for me. please give information time to time to refresh me. again thanks a lot.