PDA

View Full Version : wendel on jats

rajendersingh
September 11th, 2002, 08:03 PM
There is a book titled ''wendal''s memoirs on the origin,gowrth and present state of Jat power in Hindustan[1768]''

This book was written by Father Francois-Xevier Wendel during time of Raja Jawaher Singh in 1768. This is the first book written by any foreigner about Jats of Bharatpur. Infact the book written by K. R. Qanungo about jat history is totally based on this book as far as Bharatpur is concern.
Wendel credentials were very intriguing. He was of German origin. He wrote in French. He came to India as a Christian missionary later on he started spying for Britishers against Indian nobles. He was in service of Raja Jawaher Singh but he use to send secret dispataches to Britishers about Bhratpur. Those dispatches have been compiled as a book about, which we are talking. This book has been publised by "Institut Francais De Pondichery". Their are many factual mistakes in the book such as regarding the birth of Maharaja Surajmal and Jawaher Singh. Inspite of all that it makes a very interesting reading. Wendel's estimates of Bhratpur's wealth are very interesting.

amitdahiya
September 11th, 2002, 08:38 PM
Bhai Rajender
I am proud of my small but significant role in the publication of this book. In the early 80's I met Jean Delloche the writer and scholar of history related subjects. The original writinh by father Wendell a priest was written ain Germanic French a language which seems to have been well suited to his task as a spy. jean Delloche had attempted a tarnslation into modern French and when I learnt of this I persuaded him to let me get it translated by an American Gentleman from Auroville an international future city near Pondicherry. I t was aprivilege to pay for the original translatio9n into English the version you see before you is the product of that effort. When the French Institute came to know that I had commissioned the translation project out of my own resources they were pleased to reimburse me the entire expenditure. They then took onto themselves the task of getting the same Published. Dr Harswarup Singh was the Lt Governor of Pondicherry at that time and while the french Institute have not acknowledged my contribution in this regard they have committed to me in writing that I am authorised to translate and publish this book into Hindustani. This task has also started and some time in the near future you may expect to enjoy this work in Hindi. None of this is to detract from the signal service that the French Institute has done to us inspite of the misunderstandings and mistakes of the original writers perceptions. It is merely to share with you my pleasure at being a part of this work in my own humble way.

Just for your information please.

Regards
Amit Dahiyabadshah

P.S. I still havent received your response to the Ride for Pride which has been planned for this winter and which efort has already attracted the attention and proactive involvement of Many rider Jats including General Kharb who commanded the Army's Veterinary Corps.

rajendersingh
September 11th, 2002, 10:08 PM
Bhai Amit ji i am thrilled to know about your contribution towards this project. it's really amazing.i am convinced thatgood days are ahead for jats. keeeeeep iiittt upp.about ''ride for pride'' we shall go ahead as per discussion we had today evening