PDA

View Full Version : The Tale of Two Cities….

shokeen123
November 5th, 2002, 10:28 PM
I can’t help but wonder about the perceived disparity in our discussions right here on Jatland! There are two social scenarios that can’t escape one’s attention! One that condemns a Jatni and the other that emphatically endorses a Jatni! Please don’t get on the bandwagon to attack me because I had the courage to bring it to the forefront for discussion…

The Jhajjar story has all the ingredients of sensational headline news. The boy meets girl. They fall in love. The girl faces obstacles from the get-go, and her future outlook is bleak as their forbidden love meets the much-anticipated end. The girl succumbs to suicide, and the boy (if not beaten to death) gets ostracized. As vigilante justice prevails, there are no clear winners. But the trail of destruction doesn’t just end there – families are displaced and three more innocent lives are taken. Furthermore, the families involved will forever bear the brunt of the tragedy. The court saga will go on for many more years to come.

Then there is the Bollywood story! An affluent girl has an unconventional dream. She has it all to succeed in the world of glamour -- high society, wealth, education, good looks and perhaps very supportive parents! Her dream is a profession that is unprecedented in the Jat history. To win fame would require her to entertain millions of cine lovers for 3 hours. She will be subject to acting in sync with the story line, be what it may! One might read snippets of her love interests through limelight. And as much as the career is not looked upon favorably by her community, the buck stops here! It doesn’t really matter, because she is out of bounds of such scrutiny.

I am neither condoning nor endorsing either of the two stories, because neither meets or seeks community’s approval. However, I find it unsettling to simply let it go without asking more of myself. Why such disparity? I know for sure that these two circumstances reflect much more about our community than the obvious misconception “haves” and “have-nots.” Although I have not been able to find the fine balance between the two, I am compelled to believe that ours is a society willing to accept a change, while trying to fiercely cling to the past! May be, it just may be a subtle hint of our changing attitude that…there is light at the end of the tunnel?

Let us, (without having WWIII), dissect the anatomy of our dual culture, the two extreme ends of the spectrum, one that subjugates an action to harshest scrutiny and destruction, and the other that encourages an emphatic endorsement?

I have no problem with agreeing to disagree….

Sujata

amarsirohi
November 6th, 2002, 01:35 AM
What About :

"One of them was fortunate enough to be born in a not so unfortunate environment while the other was not" !!!

shokeen123
November 6th, 2002, 06:20 AM
Amar:

That is precisely the point!

But should we be satisfied with that?
or
Should we ponder beyond that?

amarsirohi
November 7th, 2002, 02:25 AM
Personally.....i think that i would not have thought about it unless i would have been effected by it.....which i think is the general bent of mind.

But on giving it a second thought i reached a single word conclusion...."EDUCATION".

This also means that irrespective of the debate that carries on on this thread there will always be a "Village boy falls in love with a village girl....both get harrassed...and then both take drastic steps" story which takes place almost everyday.

Point is do we care beyond the point of discussion or will we just discuss, reach a flash point and move on to another thread?????

And for this (like many other things)...i do not know the answer.

Sujata (Nov 05, 2002 07:50 p.m.):
Amar:

That is precisely the point!

But should we be satisfied with that?
or
Should we ponder beyond that?

amarsirohi
November 7th, 2002, 03:03 AM
Also if i may say so i think that most of us (read human beings) are pretty scared to go against the flow of things. So if a bollywood star is appreciated we all go with it and if a couple is being beaten up in a village all of us agree with that too.....
This is because there are very few people in this world who have the courage to stand up and take side with what is right while most of us will stand up and walk up to the nearest "MASS" that we see....

this btw almost never applies to minor altercations....and almost always applies to the major ones. Thus it also applied to the initial example given by you....

jataljaat
November 7th, 2002, 07:34 AM
we cant change the minds and thinking of people..
but atleast we can make an effort towards changing the attitude and views of the people concerned..
cheers
singh

urmiladuhan
November 7th, 2002, 07:27 PM
Kamal Singh (Nov 06, 2002 09:04 p.m.):

we cant change the minds and thinking of people..

but atleast we can make an effort towards changing the attitude and views of the people concerned..

cheers

singh

If the jhajjhar girl was independent (responsible for all decisions in her life) she probably would think many times more than when she hasn't seen the real world in the current scenerio. Hindi movies nae bahut kaam kharaab kar rakkha hae teenagers ka!!

It is the prevelant culture in in villages combined with hindi movies that i think causes lot of conflict in the minds of yongsters.

I wish there was a quick fix type of solution to these problems.

shokeen123
November 9th, 2002, 10:12 PM
[quote]Amar Sirohi (Nov 06, 2002 03:57 p.m.):

Point is do we care beyond the point of discussion or will we just discuss, reach a flash point and move on to another thread?????

And for this (like many other things)...i do not know the answer.

Amar:

You may actually have answered your own question:

This is because there are very few people in this world who have the courage to stand up and take side with what is right while most of us will stand up and walk up to the nearest "MASS" that we see....

I might add...."The opposite of a profound truth may well be another profound truth." [Niels Bohr]

Sujata