PDA

View Full Version : First human clone born

akdalal
December 27th, 2002, 02:37 PM
Miami, Dec 27: A baby has been born through cloning, French scientist and member of the Raelian sect Brigitte Boisselier said.

The baby, a girl, was born on Thursday by cesarean section. The birth "went very well," said Boisselier, president of the human cloning society Clonaid, on the telephone.

As the effort by the Raelians to achieve the first human birth by cloning was carried out in the secrecy, it was not immediately possible to obtain any independent scientific confirmation that the baby was in fact a clone.

The baby born was the first of five the Raelians have said were due.

The Raelians, who claim 55,000 followers worldwide, believe that life on earth was established by extra-terrestrials who arrived in flying saucers 25,000 years ago, and that humans themselves were created by cloning.

The movement`s founder, Rael -- the former French journalist Claude Vorilhon -- lives in Quebec. He describes himself as a prophet and claims that cloning will enable humanity to attain eternal life.

When we can produce our off springs, then why human cloning is required?

shokeen123
December 28th, 2002, 11:48 AM
[When we can produce our off springs, then why human cloning is required?

Human greed is greater than human potential! We can produce offsprings but can we produce "designer offsprings?" Mankind will never be able realize Buddha's preachings..."If you cease from wanting, you will have it all!"

Once again, I am not inclined to comment further, but the fact that we have the desire to unravel the mysterious nature of things, this (cloning) was inevitable!

urmiladuhan
December 29th, 2002, 02:44 AM
Dalal jee, aap ki news service bahut fast hae.. i heard the news on Jatland yesterday before from anywhere else! good job.

i think reproducing by way of cloning raises bioethical questions because cloning has not been perfected in humans and the abnormality/disease rates are extremely high.

On a positive note, Dolly the cloned sheep has become a grandmother!!- by sub cloning.

I read it somewhere that the fertilization rate in fertility clinics is only about 1%

and even then most of the fetuses develop some abnormality during futher development or even if the newborn seems normal in the begining, the chances of it developing disesses (like immune malfunction etc) are very high and therefore most of such off springs either die early or live with disabilities/severe diseases. In this scenario bioethics question the parents/doctors as to why should they bring another being to life (knowingly) when it cannot live healthly under most probable circumstances? Some parents who have lost a child may be desperate to get it back by cloning the same child through any of its remaining DNA.

rsdalal
December 30th, 2002, 07:52 PM
Urmila ji,
Man can never compete with GOD. Human cloning will never reach to the same perfection. It reminds me faces of Holywood celebreties, with plastic surgery. In plastic surgery in few decades they have not gained perfection, think how much time it will take in cloning which is far-far complex. But it is our human nature and no body can stop the development, whether good or bad.