PDA

View Full Version : Success comes in small increments…

shokeen123
January 14th, 2003, 01:24 AM
Two of the most heartening experiences (other than my nephew’s wedding) during my recent trip to India, were to witness the success of two women in my family!

My youngest niece, an all village, master prepared trained teacher runs a semi-private school (K-8), in the heart of Haryana, near Bahadurgarh. Her husband, also a master prepared teacher helps run the school. About 200 eager students attend the day school. A monumental step for a little girl!

My nephew’s wife, a Taekwondo Black Belt, Gold Medal 1994, South Korea (hailed as India’s golden girl), runs a Taekwondo school. About 40 youngsters enthusiastically attend one hour early morning session in our ancestral village in Delhi. Poonam Chaudhary (now Shokeen) is indeed a force to reckon with in Taekwondo! She is also trained as a teacher and teaches high school kids in a nearby school.

I made it a point to visit the middle school and take some pictures along with my proud niece. Although my niece had always looked up to me for guidance, it was her own hard work and perseverance that paid back!

An extremely talented group of kids also gave me an hour-long demonstration of Taekwondo one early morning. I was awestruck when a 7 year old cracked the stone slab and wooden plank into many fragments!

A few years ago all this would have been unimaginable but success does come in small dividends. So who says village kids are lagging behind? At least I am very optimistic. They are making big ripples in small ponds. Keep tuned in...

ompati
January 14th, 2003, 04:33 AM
Sujata Ji,

They are doing an excellent job. Kindly convey my best wishes to them.

Ompati

akdalal
January 14th, 2003, 09:47 AM
Sujata Ji,

aap kaon se delhi ke gaam ke ho. my wife is from Munirka and is an international judo player. Poonam may be knowing her (if she is the same poonam).

my wife's name is Anita Tokas (now Anita Dalal).

regards,

dkumar
January 14th, 2003, 11:18 AM
Bua,

It's really pleasent to see such nice developments taking place among ourselves!

Kindly convey my best wishes to them!

Regards,

indian
January 14th, 2003, 03:39 PM
Sujataji,
They are doing agreat job. Please convey my best wishes to them.
vijayashree

scsheorayan
January 14th, 2003, 04:15 PM
Dear Sujata ji,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful news with Jatland members. It makes trip to India very worthwhile and some thing to look forward to.
God bless them with success,happiness and long life.

shokeen123
January 14th, 2003, 06:42 PM
Anand Dalal (Jan 13, 2003 11:17 p.m.):
Sujata Ji,

aap kaon se delhi ke gaam ke ho. my wife is from Munirka and is an international judo player. Poonam may be knowing her (if she is the same poonam).

my wife's name is Anita Tokas (now Anita Dalal).

regards,

Anand Bhai:

You are right... Poonam is from Lado Sarai village (now married to my nephew in Chhawla) and probably very familiar with Anita. She is world famous Master Jun Lee's student and also well known to another world famous Black Belt Jat, Master Abhai Singh Rathore.

I am currently based in US, Washington DC area, however, when I speak with Poonam I will let her know about Anita, may be they can reconnect...

Great to know about Anita's accomplishments. Please convey her my best compliments!

regards,

Sujata

shokeen123
January 14th, 2003, 07:19 PM
Ompati Jiji, Anand bhai, Shubha Chand Bhai, Vijayshree and Dhanesh:

Thank you all for your blessings and compliments. These little wonders need them every step of their way. There are enumerable obstacles to overcome but their courage even more outstanding. I am sure they will appreciate your support when they read these words of encouragement.

On a lighter note, during the Taekwondo demonstration one youngster wasn't moving much (a bit too cold for him at 6 AM, near zero degree temp). So I went near him and asked, "Bete tu kiska sai?" (I knew the family members of all 40 students). He innocently chirped, "Bua you can talk to me in English...I go to a Public School in RK Puram...!" My god! Was I in for a surprize....! I left my village with a new found happiness... those kids screamed their lungs out to show their best. Indeed they were a best bunch... so enthusiastic, so brave, so proud and so determined!

Sujata

shalu11
January 15th, 2003, 03:45 PM
Sujata ji
These kids really deserve a big applaud.May god bless them with everything they want in their life.

rameshlakra
January 18th, 2003, 04:25 PM
its heartning to know what u said , but there is still a lot of scope & miles to go before we can happilly claim that jats have progressed ,on a different note let me tell u a diametrically opposite incidence which happened with me & my brother.
around a year back i had gone to a famous bookhouse near IIT ( delhi) . there my younger brother enquired about some IAS books , in the process we had been conversing in chaste jatoo/haryanvi. the shopkeeper had his eyes popping at us in a state of disbelief & finally when he could not hold it anylonger he asked us where we belong to . when we told him bahadurgarh ,he heaved a sign of relief and told us that " there is a jat-o- ka village nearby & he hasnt heard anybody passing 10th class from that village , so that is the why he was surprised to the extent that he was thinking that we were playing prank with him " he also said that " people in this village just survive on the rent they earn "on the way back we were happy that atleast we changed his belief about jats.

shokeen123
January 18th, 2003, 11:23 PM
Ramesh Lakra (Jan 18, 2003 05:55 a.m.):

its heartning to know what u said , but there is still a lot of scope & miles to go before we can happilly claim ........

"on the way back we were happy that atleast we changed his belief about jats......

Ramesh:

Hats off to you for changing one person's mind! It is this sterotypical image (of other people, e.g. the shopkeeper) that doesn't allow us to move forward. But we have the obligation to change it. I respect your sentiment and this is precisely why I chose the right words..."small increments" for me it was reason enough to muster hope and celebrate....:-)

Tagore once said: "If you shed tears when you miss the sun, you also miss the stars."

So as unpleasant as your anecdote may have been, it did end up being positive? Perhaps my personal philosophy towards life has convinced me to look at the glass half full? I am not of the belief of the doctrine that all things become evil or that evil outweighs good in life. We can't always live under the cloud of pessimism.

I hope you do agree with my cautious approach to success (that we have long way to go, but let's recognize the ones who have made a tiny difference)?

rameshlakra
January 19th, 2003, 09:50 PM
sujata ji
let me tell u what i think. even i believe in glass half full & not in glass half empty par yahaa to glass mein kuchh hi bund se pani ki , jo ki hum dekh ke rajii ho rahein saa . " To know that u dont know " is the first step to the solution & this , a great virtue , is not very commonly existing . so i was just trying to highlight that we have " miles to go before i sleep" . i fully agree with ur point that something is better then nothing and we definately are growing but the pace has to be faster .we need to look inside our SELF and ask " are we doing any thing for our villages / relatives or our jat bhai?" . i think the jatland can be used to turn our words and ideas into action and i am willing to shoulder any responsibilty assinged to me .

kharb
January 20th, 2003, 03:09 PM
Ek kahani main bhii sunata huin.

When I came to Singapore in 1997. There were around 30 other students who came with me from India. They were so surprised to learn that I am actually a Jat. They had stereotyped all jats and thought studies is one thing they cant be associated with. Anyone I met was asking me are you sure!

Atleast those 30 odd people will be enlightened!

shokeen123
January 20th, 2003, 07:14 PM
Ramesh and Amit:

Once we are in the mainstream it doesn't really matter, because by then they know we can compete shoulder to shoulder with them, it is the distance until "there" that we have to bridge to overcome our image.

So I do agree we have a long way to go before we can rest easy.

devdahiya
January 21st, 2005, 06:10 PM
My dear SUJATA JI,

It is very inspirig feet...........THANX

REGARDS

cooljat
January 22nd, 2005, 10:05 PM
Respected Bhuaji,
Dhok!

well, outstanding achivement by Poonam maa'm...
Black belt n gold medalist right from taekwondo country, simpply superb.

well, just to let u know I'm also a Taekwon Athlete.
TKD has become my way of life n devoted my whole life to martial arts.

Apart from TKD i also admire JeetKuneDo, Aikido, Kobudo n Samurai arts and my Idols r Bruce Lee, Van Damme, Jackie Chen n our coach Hon'ble Sood Sir.

I'm feeling more then happy that jat ppl goin great guns.
btw, I have listend about Hono'ble master Lee from our respected coach n got to know about respected master Rathore from net, they're in NZ n gives training in ITFNZ club.

But i wanna know one thing Rathore r supposed to RAjputs here in RAjsthan n never heared they're also JAts....can u tell me a bit more about them if u like to....

thanks in advance....

wram regards,
Jit