PDA

View Full Version : IIT = Harvard + MIT + Princeton.

scsheorayan
January 21st, 2003, 04:03 PM
Please see the following;

http://www.iitiim.com/WebX?14@167.Wvf4a4FXiYt.0@.eefecaf/0

shokeen123
January 22nd, 2003, 04:32 AM
Shubha Chand Bhai:

Thanks for posting the article. You are right, most Indian youth is Harvard, Princeton material, and they are making a big impact on the world economy/industry. Good clue for the budding IT professionals, and certainly good presentation to the world. It is deafening to keep hearing about India's negative image (poverty, pollution). Here is something that will force people to think twice.

ajaynehra
January 22nd, 2003, 04:46 AM
Great..............This is realy a matter of feeling proud. Sheyoran ji , thanks for bringing this in knowledge.

NEHRA AJAY

ranjitjat
January 22nd, 2003, 11:41 PM
Shubha chand Ji-
many congratulations
Great information- keep it up

best wishes & regards

ravinder
January 23rd, 2003, 05:33 AM
Also read what others think about it.

An excerpt: “Why have they all come here if they are so brilliant? Why aren't they staying and building India into a world-class society?"

http://www.vdare.com/guzzardi/imported.htm

shokeen123
January 23rd, 2003, 06:45 AM
No body is denying the apprehension about us (the aliens, that is!). And in all fairness to the locals, we do take a lot of their well paid jobs. But we do produce tangible results. Why wouldn't someone hire a worker (so called cheap labor), with good work ethics and least worries to maintain?

Surprisingly the same link http://www.vdare.com also advocates for the website below. So, one can put two and two together and lo and behold you have the answer!

http://www.zazona.com/

Indeed what Shubha Chand bhai has demonstrated, is how well the Indian IIT schools are perceived here? I don't see any harm in taking a bit of credit on part of my countrymen? I can say with greater confidence that at least Leslie Stahl has changed her stand on India'a image from her last 60 minutes interview a few years ago.

Please don't misunderstand me, I do understand what you are trying to say, but the site you have mentioned is no cup of tea for Indians or any foreign national!

rsdalal
January 23rd, 2003, 07:12 AM
Good thread guys.
Whether they put cap on H1 or not. weather they envy us or not. Bottom line is India is progressing and it will, does not matter if they put cap on H1 numbers or not. think about it both way India will benefit. Only difference it makes to US, If they make too hard for techies to come here, they loose more than they gain, More compnies will shift to India and they will loose more. So choice is theirs. Politicians in US understands that very well and that is why they have increased the visa cap in 98 and 2000, otherwise we all know they do not love Indians.

ravinder
January 23rd, 2003, 10:07 PM
Sujata

there are two statements in that article that led me to think.

First is: “Why have they all come here if they are so brilliant? Why aren't they staying and building India into a world-class society?"

Is 'brain drain' really better than 'brain in the drain'.

second is:

"Remember, this lecture comes from one of the most backward nations in the world—and is delivered to one of the most progressive"

Are people really so ignorant about the facts.

urmiladuhan
January 23rd, 2003, 11:33 PM
I read in the newspapers about a year back that some IIT's (civil engineering) (New Delhi) were without jobs because not enough companies came for campus interviews.

shokeen123
January 24th, 2003, 12:49 AM
removed by author

ravinder
January 24th, 2003, 02:29 AM
I sent my opinions about that article to the writer and here is the email conversation:

my comments:

Sir
>
> Read your article at Vdare.com
(http://www.vdare.com/guzzardi/imported.htm).
> A comment about an excerpt in that article.
>
> Excerpt: "Remember, this lecture comes from one of the most backward
nations
> in the world-and is delivered to one of the most progressive."
> India is one of the oldest human culture on the face of earth. The concept
> of zero and decimal point in mathmatics is given by Indians. Indians
> practised and documented herbal medicine thousands of years ago.
>
> India has one of the biggest constitution and is the largest democracy in
> the world.
> India has proven nuclear technology and have indigenously developed
> ballistic missile technology. India stands among the top ten nations in
the
> world for space program.
> Infact when this continent had tribes India had kingdoms.
> Challanging goverment policy on H1-B cap is one thing but using strongs
> words to prove the point being ignorant of the facts is not dare.
> thanks
> A casual reader

His response:

Thanks for sharing your opinion. I had several readers pick up on that
particular portion of the column. If I were to write it again, I would use
different language. One of the problems in column writing is the word
limitation.

shokeen123
January 24th, 2003, 02:57 AM
Here you go! Kudos to you Ravinder! Good job for sending your comments!

ravinder
January 24th, 2003, 03:15 AM
thanks sujata.

sarla
January 24th, 2003, 06:24 AM
ravinder bhai, just loved the comments you made and i took a printout for my kids to read.brilliant!!!!!!!!

vikramsingh24
January 24th, 2003, 11:19 AM
I do not think, some one who has just made to US successfully and has established him/herself very well is more successful than a person back home, who has already given up the comfortable environment and is striving to create intellectual wealth with limited resources - that would be more impressive.

garima
January 24th, 2003, 04:58 PM
Ravinder ji,

I think a person who has established him/herself in India is more successful as he/she is the one who , is striving to create intellectual wealth with limited resources - I would be more impressed by that person.

But we should also remember that there are 2 sides of a coin and may be this is just 1 side of it.

shokeen123
January 24th, 2003, 08:09 PM
Vikram Singh (Jan 24, 2003 12:49 a.m.):

I do not think, some one who has just made to US successfully and has established him/herself very well is more successful than a person back home, who has already given up the comfortable environment and is striving to create intellectual wealth with limited resources - I would be more impressed by that person.
Vikram

Success in any form is success!

anujkumar
January 25th, 2003, 05:47 AM
Bahoot sahee... kudos to CBS and it's "60 minute" team for putting the equation stright....
but, unfortunately, IIT quality have been degrading in recent years, they have increased the intake significatly with the same resources.

I have heard soon, HR ministry ministry plan to close IIT's for BTech's it's star product and it would be a postgraduate/research institutes on the line of IISc. They are converting Regional Engineering colleges, which already exit one in each state, in to National Insttute of Technology which would be funded by central government instead of state government and would provide IIT standard undergraduate education. 10 REC's have already been converted in NIT's.

After IIT BTech students thinks "we have seen best in India so let's move on" ....In new scenario they would have IIT's to go to...So basically, this masterplan, supposedly would reduce outflow of talent.. or atleast they hope so...

(A professor (a jat professor!) told this to me when I visited RECK rather NITK last summer in admission councelling)

I personally think it is a very good idea.

Anuj

anurag
January 26th, 2003, 01:45 AM
The webcast of the program to celebrate IIT 50 yrs can been watched online at:

http://www.iit.org/webcast.htm

I myself listened to Bill Gates keynote address and Ambassador Robert D. Blackwill's keynote address. They are just Fabulous.....IITs have done our nation so much proud.....

A shortened version of the CBS program can be viewed online by clicking the following link:
http://www.ipspeech.com/dateline/iit.wmv

Enjoy
Anurag

unnar
February 2nd, 2003, 04:39 AM
Sujata (Jan 23, 2003 02:19 p.m.):United States is home to immigrants from all over the world. There is a designated quota for different countries. The WASPs blend in easily, however, it is “us” who stand out in the crowd.

Interesting Discussion. As a student in the US, I have reacted to people responding in two ways to us - as very desirable students, and two - as foreigners. The latter is something I don't really blame them for, after all, I am a foreigner. But then I see the "white" people treat all asians as foreigners. Even the children of asian origin who are born here, have been raised here and who don't see themselves as anything but Americans.

So eventually I wonder whether it boils down to who can fit in... Who can look more 'American'. "Fair-skinned European immigrants welcome! Asians... enter at your own risk. We *may* not like you. "

anyhow... sorry for taking a tangent on the original discussion!

anu