PDA

View Full Version : Rural Jat education Project

ravichaudhary
February 21st, 2003, 10:55 PM
Education

we have many great educators on the list – I have had the pleasure of interacting with two Dudhee ji and Birbal ji/

Allow me share some thoughts that have been in my mind for a few years.

A problem of rural education is delivery and consistency or delivery.

It is not that the infrastructure is not there. There exist, schools, physical schools. The problem becomes the quality of teachers available, and resources material books.

One of my uncles had started a school in District Muzzafarnagar, same idea to educate the children. He had a problem finding teachers, and none were willing to live/work I rural areas. The other problem was, succession, as he aged, no one in his family was interested in carrying it on.

My wife Jaya taught in a rural school, outside her village, near Bulandshahr, and the problem was the same, no material, and no qualified teachers.

The only science equipment was one microscope and one scale, which were stolen.

I found the same problem when I would visit, other rural centers.

People who are educated wish to live in the city, where all the amenities are.

How do you combine the two?

One thought I had been to use modern technology, and the Internet.

Australia for example has a long history of providing remote education; Previously lessons were delivered by radio, in the pre TV days. How it ha s evolved since then I do not know.

My suggestion was:

Use interactive television.

The school building is the physical location.

The lessons could be beamed out via Satellite to the schools form a central location: Pick Delhi

The children would study the lessons, and the teacher could teach them sitting in Delhi. Being interactive, questions could be taken and answered.

The lessons, and quality would be consistent.

The role of the local teacher would be reduced. He/ she would be responsible primarily for class discipline, and tutoring the students.

This would open up the local classroom to the great centers of education. There is then no reason why the resources of say Toronto or Lake head Universities could not be brought into play.

In Australia, I read that they were proving laptop computers to school going children, kindergarten and up.

If this was implemented uniformly, 20 years, the first such literate graduates would be finishing University, and India will become a powerhouse.

Just some rough thoughts for consideration.

Ravi

Equipment needed:

TV Monitor, power pack- battery/ solar, for power is a problem. With the usual ingenuity I was surprised to see one of my uncles watching a cricket match, and the TV was run on a car battery, which he would get recharged when the power ran out.

Central facility- studio, broadcast,

Wireless internet- satellite delivery.

I am sure that with this kind of setup, funds would be available from Government agencies like CIDA in Canada. Canadian educators / teachers would also participate.

and of course who ever is involved will receive the undying gratitude of our Jat and other rural families who are getting marginalized with no access to eduaction

singhkapoor
February 22nd, 2003, 07:09 AM
Ravi Ji

I do not see any reason .....why would it not work.

It certainly is feasible with some help from the local govt.

Great Idea.

raj2rif
February 22nd, 2003, 07:48 AM
Dear Mr. Ravi,
Thanks for the post. You have analyzed the problem well and also suggested a solution. While I agree with most of your points, I still feel that physical presence of the teacher is a must specially at the formative stage of a child. This becomes more pronounced if he does not get much help at home from his/her mother which is the case in most cases, because we as a community had neglected the women education for long time. Unfortunately it is still continuing in some areas/cases. Awareness is the key. All people want their children to study well, but some times it is the lack of resources at home and some times it is the commitment.
If we can provide the techonlogy, I guess, we can also stimulate the city conditions in those areas even if it is difficult. The main thing is to motivate the people. It is not only the teacher, other professionals also want to remain in city. Media has to play a greater role in this. It is a difficult task but definitely not imposible. We as a country need to have a very sound education policy backed by strict implementation. Half the time teachers in the village schools do not turn up but we don't question them. There is a lot that can be written on this subject. I am happy that you have given a good idea. Please keep it up.

ravichaudhary
February 23rd, 2003, 07:01 AM
Col Virendra S Tavathia(Retd) (Feb 21, 2003 09:18 p.m.):
Dear Mr. Ravi,
Thanks for the post. You have analyzed the problem well and also suggested a solution. While I agree with most of your points, I still feel that physical presence of the teacher is a must specially at the formative stage of a child. This becomes more pronounced if he does not get much help at home from his/her mother which is the case in most cases, because we as a community had neglected the women education for long time. Unfortunately it is still continuing in some areas/cases. Awareness is the key. All people want their children to study well, but some times it is the lack of resources at home and some times it is the commitment.
If we can provide the techonlogy, I guess, we can also stimulate the city conditions in those areas even if it is difficult. The main thing is to motivate the people. It is not only the teacher, other professionals also want to remain in city. Media has to play a greater role in this. It is a difficult task but definitely not imposible. We as a country need to have a very sound education policy backed by strict implementation. Half the time teachers in the village schools do not turn up but we don't question them. There is a lot that can be written on this subject. I am happy that you have given a good idea. Please keep it up.

To both Kppor and Col. sahib

My thougths are rough formative thoughts

Which need to be added to,mofided, and most importantly , action taken.

We all wish to do something, the question, is what and how??

Humbly yours

Ideas welcome

Ravi

ranjitjat
February 24th, 2003, 04:17 AM
Dear Ravi Ji &All
Thank you for kind & wise word.
I am only a worker- not a great educator. I am student myself.
Saint Kesawanand Ji &
Ch Bahadur singh Bumiya were great educator- who started- Garamudhan- Rural Vidyapith
at SANGARIYA- Dist- Hanumangarh -RAJ.
There are 21 trustees- I am only one of the trustee of this trust.
Master baldev singh started the jat high school
at Rohtak in 1913.
Bhagat Phul singh Father of Shubhasani Ji started Kanya gurukul Khanpur klan- Gohana.
Sawami- Omanand Sarsawti- Gurukul Jhajjar is running 55 gurukul in India.
So they are great educators in Jats.
of course Dr Birbal singh ji & PROF. GHASIRAM VARMA
Prof- Balbir singh Sihag Sisai
donated lots of money for rural education.
They all are doing good work.
GOD bless you all- Good luck
Dharmpal Dudee

devdahiya
January 21st, 2005, 12:45 PM
I Dont Agree That Infrastructure Or Teaching Aids Are Necessary To Educate People? If One Has Jajjba For Anything Then Words Spoken Pssionately Under A Tree Without Any Teaching Aid Will Have A Great Desired Effect.having Great Thinkers Without Being In Action Is Like A Dummy Cartridge Loaded In A Gun............khoppadee Ki Jaroorat Kam Hai Real Passion To Do Good Ki Jaroorat Jyada Hai................angrezi Mein Isse Need Of The Hour Bhi Kahte Hain.[ HIGH TECH EDUCATION CAN NOT BE GIVEN AT VILLAGE LEVEL AS INFRASTRUCTURE WILL BE REQUIRED IN THAT CASE]

Par Bhai Ravi Aaj Kal Aap Hein Kahan?

Ram-2

dr.vinod
January 21st, 2005, 01:41 PM
Dear Mr. Ravi,
I appreciate for posting such a real picture of rural education and its solution.
Goodluck
Vinod