PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts about Indian Nuclear Tests

sanjaychhikara
March 12th, 2003, 08:52 PM
I have the same thoughts about Indias nuclear options like the author of this very, very god article;

Thoughts about Indian Nuclear Tests

Support the test or not? This was a difficult proposition in my mind for the last one week. Now after a week of my mental deliberations, I AM CONVINCED THAT the action of the Indian Government was right. The following questions helped me to reach that decision.
Who would come forward to help India in case of a war with either Pakistan or China? If China (which has an authoritarian regime) attacks India, which it did once, who is going to help India? Nobody. If anybody thinks that Indian life is not valuable enough, it is not India's problem.

Many western countries think that nuclear weapons must be an integral part of their defence arsenals then WHY not INDIA?. India has very strong genuine security concerns which can not be neglected. For last 10 years, India has been fighting a Proxy war in Jammu and kashmir. Also few days before Pakistan has test fired a missile, which makes India more Vulnerable.

Where was REST of the world when CHINA did the nuclear tests last year? Nobody protested to this extent and specially to the level of slapping sanctions.

INDIA is bigger than the US, USSR, Britain and France put together, (US, Britain, USSR and France together is less democratically representable than INDIA, in terms of number of human beings living.) who all have nuclear weapons, so why shouldn't India?

And what's with this self righteousness of west. If west was really concerned with human rights it would not support a country like China with Most Favored Nation status, a country that rolls tanks over its own people and can imprison anyone without a trial.

If the world had taken notice of India earlier, maybe all this would not have happened. Few months ago BILL CLINTON vetoed legislation passed in congress AND in the senate, which would have banned the sale of missile-guidance systems to CHINA. Since then, two U.S. companies have supplied CHINA with these systems. Reportedly, for China's space program, this newly introduced technology coupled with China's existing nuclear war-heads, establishes a new and serious threat presedence in the region. To send a clear warning-signal, INDIA JUST DETONATED 5 THERMAL-NUCLEAR DEVICES in their North-West territory.

Who gave the moral right for only five countries to hold nuclear weapons? It is none of their business to bully other countries in signing the CTBT. And considering the situation in the Indian sub continient where China holds the nuclear arms and to date has conducted many nuclear explosions and is hell bent on supplying pakistan the technology, it was a logical choice.

Before criticising India, let us hear what the big powers has to say about their nuclear weapons. Are they ready to destroy it? If they had any plans like that, India will be ready to stop all weapon-oriented nuclear developments in the first place.

Being the largest democracy, India deserves much more respect than she currently gets. Somehow, it is established in world circles that power is respect. This test helped India to achieve that to a certan extent.

Why US talking sanctions against India? I dont recall talks of sanctions against France a few years ago! Sanctions!!! What for? When a country which has 5% of the world population can have enough nuclear weapons to kill every living being many times over and have the dubious honour of using them twice in war, why all this hullabaloo for the 5 nuclear tests, yes only tests, by a country which has roughly one-fifth of the world population? This is not morality, this is hypocrisy....!!

The most important question that I would like all the so called concerned nations to answer about the hue and cry that they are raising about India's nuclear tests is "Where was their concern for nuclear proliferation when they were busy arming themselves? People sitting in glass houses should not try to throw stones at others.
We have so many unanswered questions that we have to analyze before IGNORING India's stance. These questions will be fully significant if you analyse the situation an a very macro level. Else...You might not agree with me... But then it really does'nt matter as the so called sanctions. (Do you know that the the US aid constitutes only 2% of the total Indian economy? India will prove that it do not need these pea-nuts to survive!! The west will eventually have to lift the sanctions within few months for their own business interest...)

India has traditionally followed a doctrine of defence, geared to be defensive in nature. India has never tried to attack, or launch a first-strike against any other nation. It is sad to note that the WORLD still does not recognize the worries of that country which has been attacked by its neighbours four times in a couple of decades and sees a hostile envoirnment along with double standards from our western political and military community.
India had first tested nuclear device in 1974 and since then it has excercised commendable restraint regarding further tests. India has a reputation of being responsible with such high technology. No body need worry/feel threatened, about this. It might dissapoint many Nuclear power countries, surely any new member is obviously unwelcome.

Why should India be condemned while other countries like the US, Russia and China have strengthened their defence by going nuclear ages ago? The best way to reduce the tension in the region and to discourage others from developing nuclear weapons is to have the afore-mentioned countries destroy their nuclear arsenal. But the thing is: will they ever do it? Setting yourself as a model for others to follow suit is far better than carping at them hypocritically. The US seems to be more silent on this front than it used to be. On one side U.S has been supporting Pakistan and it is a well known fact. It has never voiced seriously against the actions of Pakistan in supporting the terrorist groups operating in India.

India has all the capabilities to set an example for implementing and maintaining peace in the region. No Indian citizen would like to fight with neighbours or with the world. U.S should try to comprehend the underlying reality and approach this issue with utmost concern and if necessary, shall take it's own corrective action to maintain transparency in its relations with Pakistan. It's a pity that one of the most potential regions of the world is not understanding the strength of unity.

Nuclear disarmament cannot apply to only 3rd world countries, but rather by sweeping changes. The western world CANNOT dictate the politics of Asia. Their continual policy of "Do as I say, but not as I do" doesn't hold water anymore. Having said that, i think it's important that people realize the instability of the Asian region. With China to it's east and pakistan to it's west, India has no choice other than to protect itself, taking into account it's history with both those nations. Furthermore, I find it highly insulting that the US is willing to negotiate and support Israel, a known possessor nuclear power, and yet so quick to condemn the Indian government especially since India did not sign the NNPT and is not obligated to abide by its rules.

Countries who have strenghthened their nuclear arsenal when India was in and was recovering from merciless and parasitic British rule should not question India's nuclear testing. They have no right to talk about India's nuclear capabilities when they have themselves stocked piles of nuclear weapons.

We (Indians) waited long enough (for 24 years) and decently before the next nuke test was conducted, inspite of US/West sanctions on our programs. In a way that was good, since India indigenously developed the supercomputer PARAM after being denied the CRAY .
Well this will definitely start an arms race in the Sub-continent. But there was no way we could have been an idle spectator (watching the Chinese/ Koreans & Pakistani missile transfer). The point I wish to make is that I feel finally the Indian Govt. is putting itself in an aggressive bargaining position. One of the items on their agenda, must be getting the Security Council (permanent) seat.

People view non-violence as a sign of weakness. In today's world, power is greatness. It is India's chice to become powerful. Unfortunately when it comes to global affairs, words like democracy, freedom, human rights etc. are used mainly as political weapons. India has traditionally followed a doctrine of defence, geared to be defensive in nature. India has never tried to attack, or launch a first-strike against any other nation.

For all those who oppose the test.... Let me say this:
Had Japan too had nuclear power, I don't think that those incidents at Hiroshima or Nagasaki would have ever happened. At least the attackers would have thought twice. It serves the purpose of India to make other's like China to think twice before they harm India. Let India's past answer this question. Over the ages we have silently stood by while invading marauders played havoc. Take a moment to look at just the past 50 years. We were attacked by China - A nuclear State, and thrice by Pakistan. When were we the aggressors? In the past we have fought back successfully. If not successfully, we have managed to assimilate the enemy into us. It is no longer possible in this day and age. I ask you, have you had such a tolerant country with such a subjugated recent past (900 years). I ask you, have you faced threats like these from the times of Alexander I until now on your home soil? Have you faced a thousand proxy wars everyday of your life? Are you willing to risk your national security for anything? Our past actions speak just for us. Put yourself in our shoes before you say anything.
I believe that a nation of 1 Billion people (1/5 th of the human race) has the right to develop weapons. The west reserves the right to perfect and miniaturize there nuclear weopons then why not INDIA? The Comprehensive Test Ban Treaty is all "crap". It benefits only the P5. The P5 quietly get to improve there weapons. Pakistan and China are under US umbrella either military or economic. What about India? In case of a war between China and India, the US will only protect its economic interests and support China. It is not safeguarding INDIA's interest and why should it? "This is the world order!" Each country has to be in some block either economicaly or militarywise; if you are a loner like INDIA, then you got to safeguard your interests.

Being an Indian I am feeling excited from inside. It is really an achievement for Indians. Its not exaclty like winning the first prize in your school competition and feeling proud about it.. Its more like having to run deliberately and try to win the prize.. We Indians are not rejoicing the technological accomplishment. It is true that the technology is old, just like it is true that India had also tested it way back in 1974. It was only our maturity and self restraint as a country that we decided to forgo the nuclear option. However the world does not take kindly to any perceived sign of weakness. I was also proud, because it proved to me what I had always believed, that India can achieve anything if it decides to put its resources behind the attempt. Yes!!! I am a Proud Indian.
(Alex P. Alex, 20 May, 98).

http://millennium.fortunecity.com/sweetvalley/451/bomb1.htm