PDA

View Full Version : Effective leadership and commitment to principles

Samarkadian
October 14th, 2003, 09:11 PM
jaihind all warriors
2nd oct was the day who provoked me to rethink over my rebellion disposition. i tried to scan allmost each and every leader of world and came out with this article , this is now before u.

whether effective leadership requires that a leader consistantly follow his/her principles and objective, is a complex issue- one that is tied up in defining effective leadership in the 1st place. in addressing the issue it is helpful toconsider, three distinct forms of leadership;business, political and social - spritiual

In the business realm , effective leadership is generally, atleast in todays corporatee culture,, as that which achieves the goal of profit maximization for a firms shareholders or other owners. many disagree , however , that profit is appropriate measure of business leader's effectiveness. some detractors claim , i.e. that a truly effective business leader must also fulfill additional duties- i.e. not to do intentional harm to their customrs or to the society in which they operate.Other detractors go further- to impose on business leaders an affirmative obligation to yield to popular will, by propetecting consumers ,preserving natural enviornment, promoting educatiopn and otherwise taking steps to help alleviate society's problems.

Whether our most effective business leaders are theones who appease the general populace by contributingto popular social causes depends, of course, on own definition of business sucess.In my observation a business becomes subject to close scrutiny by the media and social activists, business leader will maximize profits in the long term only by taking reasonable steps to to minimiae the social and enviornmental harm, their business cause.Thus the two definitions merge of effective leadership and commitment to principles.

In the political realm the issue is no less com0plex.Defintion of effective political leadership are tied up in the means , a leader uses to wield his/her power and to obtain that in first place.Consider history's most infamous tyrantsand deposts- such as Genghis Khan,Stalin,Mao,and Hitler.No historian would disagreethat these individuals were remarkably great effective leaders, and that each one remains consistently committed to his tyrannical objectives and principles..Ironically, it wasd stubborn adherence to objectives that ultimatly defeated all expect Khan. Thus in short term stubborn adherence to ones objective might serve a political leader's interest in preserving his / her power; yetin long term such behaviours invariably resluts in that leaders downfall-if the principles are not in accord with those of leader's would be followers.

Finally consider social-spritiual leadership.Few would disagrre their ability to inspire others and lift the human spirits,Mahatma Gandhi and Marin Luther King were eminently effective in leading others to effect social change through civil disobedience.It seems to me that this brand of leadership,in order to be effective , inherently requires that leader remainsteadfastly committed tothe principles.WHY???????????
It is commitment to principles that is the basis of thsi brand of leadership.For example , had Gandhi advocated civil disobedience, yet been persuaded by close advisors that an occasional violent protest might be effective in gaining independence,, no doubt result have neen immediate forfeiture of that leadership.Unfortunatly presently we r lacking this brand in our country.Politcs becomes party based instead of issue and development.Our leader enjoying trapeze on issueless issues such as temple.When they r supposed to act in condition of contry's esteem like Kandhar abduction of airlines ,they get perplexed and release the terrorists.In contrast u might not forget action of Russia towards Theater hostage drama. For them country esteem was more important than lifes of few civilians.Any way there must be change , definitly it will be ...

In sum strict adherence to principles and objectives is a prerequiste for effective social-spritiual leadership-both in short term and long term.In contrast political leadership wanes in long term unless the leader ultimatly yields to the willof followers.Finally, when it comes to business,leader must create a balncebetween profit maximization-- the measure of effectiveness ---- andyielding to dertain broader obligations that society is now imposing on them.

here i would like to have suggestions and criticits of this article.i wrote what i feel.

ram ram
Samar

bharti
March 10th, 2007, 04:37 PM
Chanced upon this interesting write-up while digging through the store room.

Hope this time members have something more to add.

hdsura
March 11th, 2007, 09:19 AM
It all boils down to whose "interest" one is serving. The worst ones serve their own.

raj2rif
March 11th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Dear Mr. Kadian,
An excellent effort on an important issue. Thanks a lot for posting it and my apologies for not reading it till now. My kudos to Bharti Malik Sandhu for digging it out for us.
Leadership is a complex issue like business and it would be appropriate to say, "Nothing Succeeds Like Success".
No single quality makes one a great leader. There is more than one quality that a leader needs to have in order to become successful. I will mention a few of them and their impact on the outcome of the struggle/cause/philosophy whatever you may call. One thing we all must remember that you can’t be a leader unless there are followers. It means that the human resource is the most important asset a leader has to prove his/her point.
In business parlance while the stress is on the balance sheet, one aspect most of the short sighted CEO’s forget is the human resource. One has to give their followers a cause to fight for or in business a cause to work for. In spite of all the technological advancement, it is practically impossible to monitor each and every employee, all the time. Then what one must do to get the best out of him/her? The magic word is MOTIVATION. Motivation is easier said than done for different people have different needs to be motivated. A leader needs to find that out and use it for specific people and specific situations to be successfully maintaining an accepted level of motivation. Leading a happy team makes the task of a leader a lot easier and he/she can then think of the innovative measures to beat the competition. Any single style would be analyzed by the competition and sooner or later they will find the ways and means to counter that style. Civil disobedience was a new thing when Gandhi came out with it. How many times Satyagrah succeeds in today’s world. Competition installs or manages violence in a peaceful show of support thereby negating the very essence of peacefully executing a civil disobedience movement. That makes the otherwise a peaceful movement a law and order situation and thus becomes socially unacceptable. So the another magic word is "SURPRISE". A leader has to come out with new and innovative ideas to project his/her cause. He/She can do this if he/she has a motivated human resource helping the cause so that he/she has enough time to think about it. More often than not the leaders use most of their energy in keeping the human resource together.
Adaptability and flexibility are other two qualities a leader must possess and practice. Remember no two situations/problems are similar. Thus one has to adapt to the changing environment. Remember the stagnant water breeds reptiles. So one must not be immune to change.
I think I have put my two cents for this wonderful article. There is a lot one can write on leadership. Let me give chance to other members to give their views.
Once again I thank Mr. Kadian for this wonderful post and Bharti for digging it out.

Samarkadian
March 12th, 2007, 11:42 AM
Adaptability and flexibility are other two qualities a leader must possess and practice. Remember no two situations/problems are similar. Thus one has to adapt to the changing environment. Remember the stagnant water breeds reptiles. So one must not be immune to change. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
I think I have put my two cents for this wonderful article. There is a lot one can write on leadership. Let me give chance to other members to give their views.
Once again I thank Mr. Kadian for this wonderful post and Bharti for digging it out.[/QUOTE]

Thank you very much Col Saa'b for such a nice addition.I have read it 5 times and willing to read 5 more times.I wish you write more and more over this topic.I wud sum up with one of my fav quote over leadership by Daisaku Ikeada:- " A person, who ono matter how desperate the situation , gives others hope, is a true Leader"

Thanks Bharti ji for your spading skills and making it fruitful.