PDA

View Full Version : JAT CLANS: SOLANKI, AHLAWAT, and JOON

ravichaudhary
January 8th, 2003, 02:46 AM
JAT CLANS: SOLANKI, AHLAWAT, and JOON

Ahlawat and Joon Gotras belong to that branch of Solanki,( Chalukya) which ruled
over Kaliani and Vatapi in South India from the 5th to the 12 century
AD. They had a staunch enemy - Raja Rajendra Chol. He attacked them
with an army one lakh (hundred thousand) strong, during the reign of
Raja Satish Raj Solanki and seized a major part of their Kingdom.

In 1052 a new ruler of this dynasty came forth to redeem the old loss.
His name was Ahumal and his titles were Sameswar I and Raj Raja. He
attacked the Chol Kingdom with a large army, conquered it and married
Umang Devi, the daughter of the Chol King. He made Bangi his new
capital; this capital existed astride the Tungabhadra River. Ahumal
died in 1068 AD. His dynasty is called Ahlawat.

His son Sameswar II ruled upto 1176 AD. He was dethroned by his brave
brother Bikr Manak, who crowned himself king. He took the Title Kulu
Jang or Vikramaditya IV. He conquered a large part of South Eastern
India and in the NorthWest upto Kashmir. (A reference to this is
found in a book on Indian History in Hindi by Misar Bandhu and in the
dynastic tables of the Joon and Maare of a bard of Sonepat.). Kulu
Jang reigned upto 1227 AD.

After his death the Solanki empire declined. The kingdom got broken
up into pockets and eventually disintegrated.

Two sons of Rao Gaj Singh of this Dynasty, Rao Joon and Rao Maare
came north with their mother and their Uncle Bisaldev. Bisaldev
married their mother.

Bisaldev and his family settled down in the village of Nanhakhera
(Seria) near Dighal in District of Rohtak (70 kilometers north west
of New Delhi, in the modern state of Haryana).

He had four sons, Olha, Ahlawat, Birmhan or Brebhan, and Pehlawat.

Four new Gotras originated after their names and are found settled in
30 villages around Dighal, Gochhi, (all near Rohtak).

Todd and Tarike Gujran have recorded this event by Abdul Malik.

There are fifteen villages of the Joon Gotra i.e. Chahochhi, Kakrola,
Paiharheri, Khungai, Samchana, GadiKheri, Chattahra, Nuna Mazrah,
Lowr, Desalpur, Ujarda, Anhupur, Nangla Kabit and Mani Majra.

Source: History of the Jats - Ram Swaroop Joon, 1967

The Solanki's were known as Chalukyas.

They ruled, spread all the way down from the Sindh, to modern Rajasthan, Gujrat, Mahrastra, Karnataka and Andhra

Other clans also played their leading role, -the Gangas, Kalachuris for example.

I am also coming across references to other Jat Gotras in the South

If anyone has additional information please post it.

sarla
January 8th, 2003, 06:30 AM
ravi ji thanks for this information. any chance for rathee's background?
ya kahni to mein apni ma ne bataungi , meri ma gochi ki se

akdabas
January 8th, 2003, 08:01 AM
Ravi ji,

Thanks for information. Where do you find this kind of history ?

amar0974
January 8th, 2003, 12:20 PM
Ravi Ji Bahut Badhia Jankarey Dee, Dhanyawad. Agar Aapko Pata Ho to Bazaad Gotra ke Barey Main Bhey Kuch Likhen. Waisey Ravi Ji Aapka Gotar Konsa Hai.

urmiladuhan
January 8th, 2003, 10:57 PM
Very interesting thread. It may satisfy people's desire to know their detailed gotra geneology- as they say in astrology-- a personalised reading!

ravichaudhary
January 9th, 2003, 03:54 AM
Sarla Choudhry (Jan 07, 2003 08:00 p.m.):
ravi ji thanks for this information. any chance for rathee's background?
ya kahni to mein apni ma ne bataungi , meri ma gochi ki se

Sarla

You may wish to see the article on the URL below about Rahti Jats at Lakhan Majra

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/message/36

We are using that group as a clearing house for our history.

Feel free to copy any material you find interesting

To join the group simply click on the url and on " Join"

We need more people interested in our history

Ravi Chaudhary

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/

ravichaudhary
January 9th, 2003, 04:01 AM
Ashok Kumar Dabas (Jan 07, 2003 09:31 p.m.):
Ravi ji,

Thanks for information. Where do you find this kind of history ?

Ashok

my interest is fairly recent, some ten odd years.

Previously I could not find any material, and recently I have focusing a bit more on it, as and when I can find some time.

I wish somehow I could spark the interest of hundreds and thousands of our younger generation in our history, and also that they could take over the work.

What I am doing is only a small humble beginning. I need all the help I can get

On the Yahoo Group, URL, Below I am inviting all persons to be members whether Jat or not.

The reason for that is that I wish to test the research done by me and our historians, and let it be reviewed, criticized, by academic scholars from other disciplines.

Ravi Chaudhary

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/

ravichaudhary
January 9th, 2003, 04:09 AM
Amardeep Bazaad (Jan 08, 2003 01:50 a.m.):
Ravi Ji Bahut Badhia Jankarey Dee, Dhanyawad. Agar Aapko Pata Ho to Bazaad Gotra ke Barey Main Bhey Kuch Likhen. Waisey Ravi Ji Aapka Gotar Konsa Hai.

Amardeep,

Thank you

Credit should go to L Ram Swaroop Joon.
Author of History of the Jats

All I am doing is to make a small contribution. And hopefully his name will get the honour it deserves for the research he did

On your Gotra, Honestly I have no idea today

Let me see what I can find out.

Maybe more senior members like Dudhee Sahib can help

My own Village, immediate is Duhai, near Ghazi bad, UP, on the Ghazi bad Meerut Road.

Our immediate Gotra is Brebhan, which is now written as Veteran too. The actual Gotra is, I think; as in the research form Lt. Joon.

Our great Grandfather moved form the area of Gocchi, Dighal. Or Haryana Our elders could not give me more details.

Ravi

ravichaudhary
January 9th, 2003, 04:16 AM
Urmila (Jan 08, 2003 12:27 p.m.):
Very interesting thread. It may satisfy people's desire to know their detailed gotra geneology- as they say in astrology-- a personalised reading!

Actually more than genealogy, it also provides an actual clue to our history.

If the history text mentions a Jat Gotra, the history is about the Jats.

Thus if the Chalukyas were spread upto Andhra Pradesh, not all Jats would have come back north, and there would be Jat communities there.

Some time ago, one of, my uncles had attended a Jat Mahasabha meeting in Delhi, and one speaker was from Andhra.

He stated that they were Jats, now spoke only Telugu, they had a hundred Villages in Andhra, and were suffering persecution.

They wanted help from the Jats in the north

What happened, I do not know.

Yet if we are to re - build we will have to reach out

Ravi Chaudhary

urmiladuhan
January 11th, 2003, 05:38 AM
Ravi,
I wanted to do research on my own surname-Duhan/Doon/Dohan. Could you suggest
the best way to go about it- amount of time required, resources needed etc. Thankyou

ravichaudhary
January 13th, 2003, 03:55 AM
Urmila (Jan 10, 2003 07:08 p.m.):
Ravi,
I wanted to do research on my own surname-Duhan/Doon/Dohan. Could you suggest
the best way to go about it- amount of time required, resources needed etc. Thankyou

While there may be more learned members on this list and some not on this list let me add a few pointers to those trying to trace the history of their gotras.

Some gotras are very widespread and commonly known, and for families having those Gotras, there is no great problem.

For those who not part of the widespread gotras the problem becomes a little more difficult

You have then treat the problem conceptually, asking one how could the gotra have arisen.

What would normally have happened that some ancestral family member, famous for some reason or another settled a new village and started a new gotra.

The genealogies of us Jats were normally kept by the Bhats or Charans, and their families would go from Village to Village recording the gotras, births deaths and so on.

In marriages it was the common custom that (this is seven Sept rule also followed by the Getes and Goths in Europe) both the father's and mother's, and the Grandmother's gotra 's were excluded on both sides.

In case of doubt the Bhats would be consulted.

One of my uncles told me that at the time of his marriage there was a doubt, and the doubt was only removed after consultation with the genealogists.

The seats of these Bhats were Haridwar, and also I believe Mathura. There may have been others.

It was also the case if the Gotra was allied inter- marriage could never take place.

Thus I am advised the Brebans, Joons, Ahlawats, Solankis do not inter marry.
Some are now again taking on the Solanki Gotra

My wife is from the Dalal Gotra. She advises the same be for the Dalal and Sirohi Gotras. Some Dalal is now also writing Dalal Sirohi, to indicate that they are part of the overall Sirohi Gotra.

The immediate place to start is to consult ones elders in the village, about their ancestry, place, allied Gotras, which major gotra the division is from.

If there is a Gotra you cannot intermarry into, chances are you are linked to it.

If the village elders cannot help, you have to ask who the Family Bhat is.

Two authors who have tried to do this are: B. S. Dahiya, and In more detail Capt Dilip Singh Ahlawat.

There are other Gotravalis- lists published, and I come across references but I do not have access to them.

As I have mentioned earlier, I have some information which I will gladly share, and I hope members will take an interest ion the Gotra and their family history and share it with us.

If none of this works, let us continue the discussion, till a satisfactory result is obtained.

Ravi Chaudhary

P.S.

After this long digression:

Urmilla,

there is nothing in Dahiya's book or Ahlawat's book that I could redaily spot.

What is your village etc.

Let us explore the origins of the Duhan Gotra

Ravi

ajaynehra
January 13th, 2003, 05:14 AM
Dear Mr. Chaudhary

Please do let me know the roots of NEHRA gotra in the JAT history , or provide me links and I will go through them.

This is only a request.

Regards

AJAY NEHRA
desiJAT

Do mail me at :
ajay_nehra@yahoo.com
desi_jaat@lycos.com

urmiladuhan
January 13th, 2003, 06:50 AM
Urmilla,

there is nothing in Dahiya's book or Ahlawat's book that I could redaily spot.

What is your village etc.

Let us explore the origins of the Duhan Gotra

This is very nice of you!

My ancesstors are originally from village

Katwal (Distt Gohana- Sonepat- Haryana). About 80 years ago, a group from Katwal founded a new village in Jind Distt and named it Jamni. Many Duhan's also used to call themselves 'Sadh'- which means to almost be like a Sadhu (non alcoholic, truthful at all times etc etc). That's all i know, i think. I will get in touch with you once i hear anything from my parents.

chashokverma
January 14th, 2003, 10:39 PM
Some historian has mentioned the link between Chalukyas and Solankis. But that is still debated. The Solankis are one of the four Agni Vanshis created by the Brahmans in Mt Abu some time after the death of Harsh Vardhan and at the time of some Muslim raids into Rajasthan from Sindh (probably in 8 or 9 th centaury). The four Agni Vanshis were Parihar, Parmar or Panwar, Chouhans and Solanki. The aim of creating a new Chchatriya order was to counter the threats of the Muslims and revive Hindu religion after Buddhist era. As per some records two of these were tribal and out of these two, one was of Bhil background. Rest two was from Indo-Scything Aryan origin. At that time Chouhans were ruling in the Sambar area of Rajasthan, Parmars in MP and Solankis in Gujarat.

These three Agni Vansis have the common presence among the Jats and Rajputs (Solanki, Panwar and Chouhans or Chahars). The Parihars off course are not found among the Jats. As per the Col Tod Chouhans had 22 branches and 7 are only pure. Rest being from illegitimate wives. As per my Jaga; Chouhans had 24 branches. Out of these two are in Jats.

While deciding the background of these four Agni vanshis historians have made some guesses and one of them is that probably Solankis were the Chalukyas who came from Andhra Pradesh to establish there rule in Gujrat.

It is interesting to note that in addition to Solankis in Jats few more Gotras in Jats have emerged from them.

There are various reasoning to explain the reasons behind the common gotras among Rajputs and the Jats. These are given in the deferent post on this site.

ravichaudhary
January 15th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Ashok

This is probably a difficult question.

1) Which and why historians claim the Chalukya - Solanki link, and

2) which Historians do not.

Is there anything that militates against the Chalukya- Solanki Link ?

Todd, you must always read with some scepticism, especially when he starts speculating.

Treat his book as a collection of data, and there is lots of it, and then interpret it.

He was mesmerised by the Rajput picture,a nd he could not see beyond.

Your Jaga 's notes are interesting.

Did you get the details, genealogies of the 22 or 24 branches ?

Can you post them.

This is valuable data.

Why 2 branches in Jats and the rest in Rajputs ?

Let us have patience, we are only at the beginning of the Road.

Ravi

chashokverma
January 15th, 2003, 02:08 PM
Dear Raviji

Let me first give the answer to your last question. How the two branches out of 24 branches of Chouhans are in Jats are remaining in Rajputs?

But before let me state, the history is the true statement of facts. There may be few things, which may not be palatable. The races who learn from their past have always emerged as winners.

The whole problem is the creation of religion and the politics. It is something like the various streams of people belonging to Saka, Huna, etc made the Indo Scythian race. With the passage of time circumstances changed and the political powers of that time created a new stream of so called pure kchatriyas with the help of Brahmans to serve their interests. But new stream was small compare to the larger base of indo- sythians. The larger stream was later on called the Jats. The smaller stream the Rajputs but as the smaller stream was holding the political power in their hands they projected their larger image. The larger stream of Jats remained politically isolated for some times. Some of the people of smaller streams because of the compulsion of times came back to their larger mother stream by marrying back. But the smaller stream refused to accept them.

The Chahar gotra of Jats have approximately 120+ villages near Agra. Their one of the fore father who was chouhan got married to a Jat lady. The Brahmans never accepted this as for them Jats were not Kchatriyas. That branch of Chouhan lost the status but took the name of Chahar and joined their mother streams of Jats. Rajputs see this as the branch of illegitimate sons whereas Jats see this as homecoming. They had gone out of the home for some time under the influence of Brahmans but came back to their mother streams after some times. The other branch of Chouhans, kept their name as chouhans and are found in Punjab and northern part of Haryana. There are many of such gotras among Jats. Like Sisinwars (Bharatput), Sogariyas (Kr Natawar Singh), Ghayars, Nohwars, Haga Choudharies, Bhatis, Sidhus, Sandhus, Saharans, Janjuas and many more all Jadu vanshis. Sikarwars, Tomars and many more as Surya Vanshis. Solankis, Panwars, chahars and Chouahns as agni Vanshis. I have written the names of few of them. Any kchatriya who married into Jats or married his widowed Bhabhi came back to his mother branch that is Jat folds. I hope this explains the dynamics of religions and politics responsible for the commonality of gotras.

Thanks for your advise on Col Tod. I do read him with suspicion but every thing is not false. He wrote on the basis of genealogy as given by Jagas. Our Jaga corroborates many of the facts as mentioned by him. In fact he even does not know who was Col Tod?

Tha Jaga is a Brahman and clever enough not to reveal all the information without price. I am paying him when he visits me once in a year. I am expecting him soon. I gave him a questionnaire last time and am sure that he will certainly give me more information. But before coming to conclusion I certainly analyze the source of information and the information both.

Let me assure you nothing which i write is with out any reference. It is just that because of the work load which i have i am not able to create an index.

I have enough patience to follow the path as has been mentioned by you. My interest is to solve the mytry shrouding Jats with our efforts we will be be able to come out with some thing. As you head the history section you have a great resposibilty and that i fully understand.

ravichaudhary
January 16th, 2003, 01:43 AM
'
Ashok writes:

" As you head the history section you have a great resposibilty and that i fully understand."

Ashok

One clarification.

I do not head the history section.

If the honour has to go to some one, it should be Shri Dudhee.

Mine is a small effort only.

I will reply to the rest of post separately

Ravi