PDA

View Full Version : Info Req'd: Donating to a GOOD charity

chhoraharyanada
October 25th, 2004, 06:51 PM
Hello everybody,

Recently a good friend of mine won some money on the national lottery (a handsome 4-figure sum in UK pounds).

Whilst this chap is happy blowing away his money on Blue Label Whisky and wining-dining his girlfriend in expensive restaurants ..... he wanted to donate his money to some charitable causes.

He's already donated to a local hindu mandir.

He wants to send something back to India. I suggested that I would come up with some good charities.

So to all the member on Jatland ....... please could you recommend a charity based in Haryana (Rajasthan or UP too) which you guys could personally vouch for - something that is a good cause/good charity and importantly, where you know the bulk of the money donated will filter through to the needy.

I made the mistake a few years ago of donating to Sewa International from some indian event I organised in university. We raised a substantial amount of cash (this was around the time of the Gujarat earthquakes). Anyways, we sent some money of to Sewa Int with the promises that this help build schools and rehabilitate some villages etc.
About 18 months after donation, a Gujju friend of mine who was part of that indian society went to india to check it out - aND NOTHING HAD HAPPENED WHAT SOEVER!

So I dont want to make the same mistake twice.

Could somebody please recommend soemthing good .... (Haryana related or RJ/UP).

Thanks,

RAM RAM.

ranjitjat
October 26th, 2004, 12:17 AM
Dear Ramandeep.
very good idea.
Gurukul Jhajjar Haryana
Gurukul Gotam Nagar New Delhi 100049
Swami Kaesawanand trust Sanghariya.
A very old rural institute.
Sardar Sher Singh toor and others serving full time life members.
They are bona-fide Rural Jats charities.
I myself have old link with them.
I am in London. You are welcome to contact me for more Information.

with best wishes
Dharmpal

satyeshwar
October 26th, 2004, 08:44 AM
How about giving to the Indian Army or DRDO?

raj2rif
October 26th, 2004, 09:43 AM
Dear Ramandeep,

Norht American Jat Charity is the organization that provides scholarships to Jat community Students in India for college studies. Mr. Ram Arya is the President of this organization. Apart from this, the charity also provides financial assistance to various educational institutions in Rajasthan, Haryana and UP. He may speak to Mr. Ram Arya if he so wishes. NAJS would be celebrating its 10th Anniversary on 11 December 2004. Mr. Arya's contact # should be availeble on this site.

chhoraharyanada
October 26th, 2004, 08:27 PM
Ram Ram.

Satyeshwar Ji .... With Indian Army charities,no doubt it is very decent and charitable cause BUT no one - neither you nor I can guarentee that the money will filter through properly to where it is needed.

That is one purpose as to why I posted up here.

Col Sahib .... Again, yours also seems a good cause, but what effects will a meagre £50-£100 donation have? correct me if I am wrong - but dont American college fees for foreign students come to something like $25k a year. Totalling $100k for the whole thing?
If there is a 'kitty' type-system you guys are operating then the money could just be lying there for a long,long, time before you guys reach any real targets.
I think if the guy had won the full jackpot (millions) - then a heftier sized cheque would be more appropriate to that cause?!

Please do correct me if I have misconstrued anything wrongly.

I think Dudee Ji's sounds the best .... after all a £50 cheque will have quick and immediate impact. £50 will translate to 4000 indian bucks. That'll buy 1-2 rural Jat kid(s) school books, stationary, geom box and a half-decent calculator.

dudee Ji, please can you write out the full mailing address please (the one in haryana that is).

Thanks,

Ram Ram.

Ramandeep.

uday
October 26th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Ramandeep...
Chinta na kar .. isi site per aapko iitney suggestion milengey..

jinkimat bujhe baat ( vo kahay karain na.. chunda..chuund ka tokra bhar ka katee [barshaam ka pura bhar hua tookra ]... Yhadey aadhey to karain ke se.. thaale nai katdey moondey :) :) :)

itnee suggestion mil jyangi..... kyonki... suggestion dene main ...kisi ne aane ghoz te na dena padta :) ..

Kyonki suggestion dene main aapnee Ghozzh main te thodi na pissey lakdey hain...( Moooz lo aur Rhooz lo )

Navin Gulia aaley case main dekha tha... Help for kids in "Karuna"
aath-dasson ki baat alaag,baki isi aapney yehi jat bhai ( samait Bade Bade toopchee ) kahey pachhey bhi chuun bhi na bolley...

Haan !! Ek baat zaroor hai..kitey ki sarpanchee dewanee ho zaroor bata diye.. queue khatam nahi hogi .. :)

;) ;) :p

ranjitjat
October 26th, 2004, 10:34 PM
Dear Ramandeep
RAMRAM
The Address of Gurukul Jahjjar is
Acharya Vijay Pal
Gurukul Jahjjar
PO- DIST Jahjjar
Haryana India.
RAM PAL Sashtri Of GURUKUL Gotam nagar is in Arya Samaj Newyork now.
He is Ex-student of Gurukal Jhajjar and know Achrya Vijay pal. He will go to India next month. He will make sure the money is well spend for a noble cause as you wish.
TURAT DAAN MAHA KALYAN.
APANA TIME GOOD CAUSE KE LIYE LAGANA.
KISI KO NAEK SALAH DENA BHI DAAN- NOBLE CAUSE HAE.
CARRY ON GOOD WORK- THANKS AGAIN
Dharmpal

raj2rif
October 27th, 2004, 06:16 AM
Dear Ramandeep,

The scholerships provided by NAJC is in India and not in US. NAJC provides full cost of college education to the selected candidates.

Again, it is not the big amount one needs to contribute. Large number of small contributions are as good as one big contribution.

Well, it is the choice of the doner to select the institution. I just made a suggestion, since I have seen the NAJC's functioning.

jagmohan
October 27th, 2004, 09:59 AM
Dear Ramandeep,

Uday Ji is right when he says that there is no dearth of suggestions in the world. Let me give you my point of view.

Personally speaking I am against donating to all these known and famous 'Charity Organisations' because most of what we contribute goes towards 'Administrative Expenses', like travelling First Class by air. But this should not discourage us from 'Giving'. 'Charity begins at home' is an old and tested principle.

May I suggest your friend to send this amount to his most trusted relative or friend in India with strict instructions that this money be used for the education of the poorest student in his village. Rs 4,000/- can ensure one years education costs for that child. And if your friend can repeat this donation year after year, believe you me, he would have given the biggest gift to mankind.

Baki sab angrezi hai!!

Regards,

JS Malik