PDA

View Full Version : advice on CFA(US)

kapilrana
September 26th, 2004, 12:22 PM
hi
all senior jaats
i m close to complete my mba finance and ca. further i want to earn a foreign qualification like CFA or CPA from USA .
If any one have knowledge abt these courses Viz cost,employment and future prospects plz guide me appropriately.
thanking u
sincerely
Kapil Rana

rajivshokeen
September 27th, 2004, 08:38 AM
kapil rana (Sep 26, 2004 02:52 a.m.):
hi
all senior jaats
i m close to complete my mba finance and ca. further i want to earn a foreign qualification like CFA or CPA from USA .
If any one have knowledge abt these courses Viz cost,employment and future prospects plz guide me appropriately.
thanking u
sincerely
Kapil Rana

Hi Kapil!!

I can give u a little advise on this topic.
Actually I am not a management person but I was able to gather some information from one of my friends who is doing MBA in Professional Accounting from a US university. Actually, to be able to qualify for a CFA/CPA exam, a person should have certain no. of courses done from an American university for which you have to get enrolled in a Masters program here. But as you already mentioned that you are about to complete your MBA from there, then in that case you might get some of your Indian courses transferred in a US university which will eventually reduce your total no. of courses here(in US).
So, all this conclude that you can finish your MBA in US in approx. 1 year and then you can go ahead and appear for CFA/CPA exam.

COST FACTOR:
In order to get admission here, a person has to go through GMAT and a good score in GMAT+ a Graduate Assistantship(which means working for some professor) can get you almost all your fees waived.

FUTURE PROSPECTS:
Ofcourse, after a CFA/CPA, you will be riding on Cloud no.9..
Also, from my own personal experience, there are immense oppurtunities and jobs in accounting field over here.

If you have any more questions after this , feel free to mail me.

Your Jat Bhai
Rajiv

ndahiya
September 28th, 2004, 01:38 AM
>>Actually, to be able to qualify for a CFA/CPA exam, a person should have certain no. of courses done from an American university for which you have to get enrolled in a Masters program here. <<

Not really. Am Indian MBA is good enough. But I think that you need to be a professional in the field to become a CFA charterholder. I am taking the CFA, so this info is accurate.

The CFA designation is reasonably well regarded, but its a painful process. 3 levels, one exam every year, so atleast 3 years. You can get more info from http://www.aimr.org . The CFA is quite useful to have, especially on the "buy side" (portfolio management etc)...

A CPA might be more directly related to a CA, but I am not aware of the dtls. Hope this helps... Drop me a line if you need more information...