PDA

View Full Version : Basis of gotra names among Jats.

urmiladuhan
January 13th, 2003, 10:14 AM
I am referring to book titled Aryan Tribes and The Rigveda by B.S Dahiya. (Verbatim)

It appears that tribal names are based on the name of an ancestor, who was sufficiently important, perhaps a leader/king, to give his name to the descendants- he cannot otherwise become a "Gotra Kara" (founder of Gotra/tribe). That is why, people of a particular tribe consider themselves as sons/descendants of a common father (and hence are all brothers, incapable of inter marriage within the tribe). When the tribe becomes too large to cause difficulties in match making, a part of the tribe separates and forms sister tribe. Even then because of the consciousness of being sons of a common father, marriages between them are not performed for a considerable lenght of time. For eg., Dabas tribe called Dabs/Debices in history, had separated from Dahiya tribe in remote past. They were one when they fought against and killed Cyrus the great, in 6th century BC. They are considered one even today in India, and it was only about 25 years back that an assembly of the 2 tribes was held and it was decided that brotherhood having been maintained for a very long period, inter marriage between Dabas and Dahiyashould be permitted.

dkumar
January 13th, 2003, 10:35 AM
Great Piece of Information! Thank you for sharing!

I would surely go through the book referred by you to learn about this history!

Thanks,

urmiladuhan
January 13th, 2003, 10:54 AM
Dhanesh Kumar Koyad (Jan 13, 2003 12:05 a.m.):

Great Piece of Information! Thank you for sharing!

I would surely go through the book referred by you to learn about this history!

Thanks,

Dhanesh Bhai- my interest in history is very recent (1 month old). I am very interested in finding more about my gotra and in the process 'am coming across all this interesting information. In case you want to read the same book that i am reading right now, let me give you the address of the publishers so you can buy from them directly:

Dahinam Publishers

16-B Sujan Singh Park

Sonepat (Haryana). The book costs about Rs 200.