PDA

View Full Version : Some marriage customs among Jats and their meanings..

urmiladuhan
January 13th, 2003, 11:27 AM
The marriage ceremony starts seven or nine days before the day of marriage. For girls, the period is reduced by 2 days.

The girl's parents inform the boy's family about the number of days of 'Ban' of the girl and the boy's family increases the period by 2 days for the boy's Ban ceremony!

The paternal relations of the boy take the privilege of feeding the boy and his family for the particular day- each relation getting at least one day's right.

On the last day of Boy's 'Ban'- after descend of oil and a bath, the boy does not go to his house but has to stay with a relation for the night. This ban on his return home symbolises the vow on the part of the groom not to enter the home without bringing the bride as well! The boy's mother in the meantime sings a song "For 9 months i kept you in my womb, protect the honour of your mother's milk and go with mother's blessings"

When the marriage party reaches the bride's home, the groom strikes the door with his sword (or iron stick) symbolising the forcible demand for the bride!- whose relations give consent by entertaining the party.

After bride returns with the Groom, among other rites, ghee and khichdi is served to the family- which symbolises the wish for a similar harmony of relations between bride and the mother in law!

After the game playing between the bride and the groom (Santi, ring search in milk) grooms

younger brother or a cousin brother sits in the lap of the bride and wishes her the birth of son and gets sweets in return.

akdabas
January 14th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Urmila Ji,

I think you missed something here. Along with the sweets, Bride also returns some sweet punches (mukke).
That is really a fun.

Please never mind if I am wrong.

Cheers,
---------------------------------------

"younger brother or a cousin brother sits in the lap of the bride and wishes her the birth of son and gets sweets in return. "