PDA

View Full Version : Any Jat Farmers in USA ?????????????

rkumar
November 18th, 2004, 02:14 PM
Dear Friends,

I have always been fascinated to be a farmer in my later years of life. I was visiting USA last week and saw quite a few number of large agriculture farms in Saginaw Bay area of Michigan. There were many farms on sale.

I wonder if there is any member who is running an agriculture farm in USA. I would really appreciate some feedback on being a farmer in USA.

Regards
Rajendra

sindhu
November 18th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Hi,

I know many farmers actually but most of them are in California area. I met them during my stay there. The minimum economic unit of farm size here to survive is 500 acres in USA. Most of farmers are punjabi jats who came here during early 60s and now well established. One of the biggest farmer is Didar Singh Bains who lives in Yuba city california and I met him several times and visited his farm.
Didar singh Owns about 10,000 acres of land and most of them are under Orchard and is one of the richest indians here. There are many Indian farmers there in that area.

ANother area to look for Indian farmers is near Bakers field. This is also in California. There in Bakers field is Gill Brothers who own about 2000 acres of land and they have grape orchards there. And if you go to Napa Valley, then you will find another Grewal family who owns a Winery and large grape orchards.

Farming is not a money making business anymore due to NAFTA agreement, cheaper products arrive from south American countries and give hard time to US farmers.

A S Sindhu

choudharysaaab
November 21st, 2004, 09:12 PM
Rejendra ji why are you interested in farming in USA why not in India? :confused: Can you provide me some specific reasons on being a farmer in USA? :mad:

rkumar
November 21st, 2004, 09:25 PM
Rejendra ji why are you interested in farming in USA why not in India? :confused: Can you provide me some specific reasons on being a farmer in USA? :mad:

No specific reason really..just wanted to know about the farming community in USA, particularly about the smaller farmers who own 100 acres or so..

RK^2

kulwant
December 8th, 2004, 08:41 PM
Rajender ji ......small farmers and that also 100 acres...how come...how are land holdings there

No specific reason really..just wanted to know about the farming community in USA, particularly about the smaller farmers who own 100 acres or so..

RK^2

rkumar
December 8th, 2004, 09:37 PM
Rajender ji ......small farmers and that also 100 acres...how come...how are land holdings there

In USA they have large holdings. I am told it can run in 1000s of acres..Farmers with 100 acres are considered very marginal. Even in India if one goes from one place to another, there are lots of variations. In Tarai a farmer with 20 acres is considered a very small farmer whereas in Haryana or rural western UP he is a big farmer..Its all relative.

Rajendra

dayvraj
December 9th, 2004, 02:49 PM
* Bookmarking the thread*

Fully agree with the relative concept , Tarai , 20 acres , Haryana , Western Up et al ...

virajmalik4973
January 2nd, 2005, 11:35 PM
Rajendra Ji,
I dont think becoming a farmer in US is a economically sound idea in 2005, India might be a good option...
I see a big future of farming in our country specially western UP and Haryana belt, The problem is that holding size is uneconomical...there are two things required one cooperation among families to unite the farms and not devide the lands. Some thought from Government on getting food processing and Agro industry in these areas so that there is some rate of return...current rate of return in Farming is around 3-4.5%. If it can be around 12% its a good business to be in ....as the entire income is tax free...

Regards

Viraj

mbamal
January 3rd, 2005, 02:09 AM
In USA they have large holdings. I am told it can run in 1000s of acres..Farmers with 100 acres are considered very marginal. Even in India if one goes from one place to another, there are lots of variations. In Tarai a farmer with 20 acres is considered a very small farmer whereas in Haryana or rural western UP he is a big farmer..Its all relative.

Rajendra

20 acres in haryana is not a big farmland..50+ can be a decent land holding