PDA

View Full Version : to Dr. birbal singh

psdahiya
October 7th, 2004, 12:57 PM
sir,
i was extremely delighted on stumbling across ur post . i would love to get ur advice about studying abroad.i am a graduate in electrical engineering from Punjab Engineering College , Chandigarh . I have been a topper in all semesters and am the recepient of the university gold medal in my stream (dont know how much it matters though !).I passed out in 2002 and landed up in a software job.but i had to leave it due to extremely pressing personal reasons.....sufficient to say that the only thing i have done for the last two years is running around oncology departments in hospitals.now that the doctors have given up on an extremely dear one , here i am . research has always been a passion and want to pursue a Phd.please tell a few things...
1) how much does it matter that i have been idle for 2 years ?
2)typical fee structures and hope of any aid or if part time working is allowed.
3) cost of living

Regards,
Paramjit.

birbal
October 11th, 2004, 08:01 PM
The fact that you were out of workforce with a legitimate reason should not affect your application adversely. In fact, many north Americans take a one year break for travel around the world after graduation.

Being a topper from PEC, you should have no difficulty in getting admission for M.S., and if you apply for direct Ph.D. you may get admission with full financial aid. I suggest you apply to 2-3 universities in Canada (Alberta, B.C., Toronto) and 4-5 in USA.

If you are really keen on completing a Ph.D. and become a Professor or join industrial research, I would suggest you also try for M.Tech. from IIT and a good thesis will assure Ph.D. admission and assistance in USA.

I will not have access to computer for next 2 and half months so I will not be able to answer any further questions.