PDA

View Full Version : Daanveer Ch. Sir Chhaju Ram Lamba

ranjitjat
January 26th, 2003, 04:55 AM
Historians call him Harishchander, Dadhichi, Kuber, Bhamashah, Karna and also the Kohinoor diamond of India. Ch. Chhaju Ram was born in 1861, in a Lamba gotra village Allakhapura, District Bhiwani. His father's name was Ch. Shalikram, grandfather's name was Ch. Maniram and great grandfather was known as Ch. Thanaram. Ch. Chhaju Ram was born in an ordinary farmer family, and studied at Bawani Kheda. Then, he did his middle school from Bhiwani school, and passed his matric from Rewari. Then he met an engineer Mr. Shiv Nath Rai and went to Calcutta with him where he found a job with a jute merchant. Then he started his own business of trading jute sacks, which was very successful.

It was in those days that he often had his dinner at one particular restaurant in Calcutta which was owned by a Brahmin. There is a famous story about that time. Most of the people who also ate there were Brahmin, and did not like this Jat man who ate at the same restaurant. So they told the owner this. One day the owner said to Ch. Chhaju Ram that I can't serve you here, because my other customers do not like you because you are from a lower caste. It was at this time that Ch. Chhaju Ram promised himself that one day he will be so successful, that the same Brahmins will forget his caste and treat him with more respect.

Then he created a company called Andrew Ule and Co. in which he owned a share of 75 per cent, and soon became known as the Jute king. This made him a multimillionaire and soon he was a director of no less than 24 companies in Calcutta. He was getting 16 lakh rupees every year as dividend which was considered a very large amount at that time. He owned five villages in District Hissar, and had six luxury houses in Calcutta. He made a guest house for his visitors in Calcutta and this alone cost him five lakh rupees. His son had a Rolls Royce which had cost 1 lakh rupees.

Ch. Chhaju Ram's marriage had taken place in a Dhoki village in Dadri, but his wife died very soon after the marriage due to a cholera epidemic. His second marriage to Laxmidevi was held in 1890, in a village called Bilawal, which is also in Dadri. They had six children. The eldest son was Sajan Kumar, and other sons were Mahender Kumar and Pardhuman Kumar. One of the daughters was called Kamla and another was called Savitri.

He was a strict Arya Samaji. He donated the money to a variety of causes such as:

1. Gurukul in Kangri, started by Swami Shradhanand.
2. Kanya Gurukul in Kankhal.
3. Gurukul Brindavan.
4. 1 lakh rupees to Arya Samaj in Calcutta.
5. 50,000 rupees DAV College, Lahore.
6. 162,000 rupees to DAV High School, Hissar in 1916.
7. 2000 rupees to Lala Lajpat Rai, one of the freedom fighters who had personally gone to ask for only 200 rupees.
8. 1 lakh 40,000 rupees for the India Defence Fund in 1914.
9. Made a guest house at Central Avenue in Calcutta for 5 lakhs.
10. Established Arya Samaj in his own village Alakhpura and spent a considerable amount on charity work there.

All the places where he gave donations in written on stone at those locations.

He also hid Shaheed Bhagat Singh in his own house in Calcutta for three months after Bhagat Singh had killed Police Commissioner Sanders and the police was looking for him. This was a extreme risk to take at the time, but Ch. Chhaju Ram hid Bhagat Singh on the second floor of his own house.%

urmiladuhan
January 26th, 2003, 10:02 AM
Ch Chajju Ram was truly a pioneer. I am very impressed by his courage as seen by his determination in establishing himself in unchartered terroteries given his rural background. I respect his life.

uday
January 27th, 2003, 09:19 AM
Thanx for sharing info. with all.. Will help those who hasn't any info. about Danvir Seth Chajju Ram.

Didee ji some statstical mistake..born in 1861 and remarried in 1819..Please correct..
Regards

******************[quote]Dharmpal Singh Dudee (Jan 25, 2003 08:32 p.m.):
. Ch. Chhaju Ram was born in 1861, in a Lamba gotra village Allakhapura, District Bhiwani. . His second marriage to Laxmidevi was held in 1819, in a village called Bilawal, which is also in Dadri.

ranjitjat
January 27th, 2003, 11:12 PM
UDAY BHAI & Urmila ji
thank you for your wise thought.

rajendersingh
January 31st, 2003, 08:11 PM
chachaji namaskar, it is indeed a matter of grate pride that sir seth chhaju ram was born in a jat family.how grate at that time we had such a grate humanitarian.against all odds he rose to such heights.
i have heard that sir chhaju ram was envy of all banias of whole hindustan for his grand nature of philanthropist. it was because banias could never digest that son of a peasant beating them in their game.
i have also heard that after dr qanaugo's first book successfully came into market[on jat history financed by sir chhaju ram] sir chhaju ram made him to write the second part of the book .it so happend that sethji died during that period and banais ensured that partof the book never saw light of the day .
as i mentioned earlier that birla was also a tenantof seth chhaju ram in culcutta.

ranjitjat
February 17th, 2003, 09:44 PM
Dear Rajender singh
Your information is correct.
During 2nd worldwar- in a meeting for INDIA DEFENCE FUND.
CH sir Chhaju ram asked the list & total amount from all big business houses- BANIYAS
The total was 5 lakhs from all baniyas
so he topped it up with 5 lakhs alone = to all baniyas.
3 cheers

captmanjeet
August 9th, 2005, 12:11 PM
mallaika sehrawat alais reena lamba is decendent of the gr8 jat soul Ch.chaju ram lamba.i think he was from alakh pura village bhiwani distt.Correct me if i am wrong.
manjeet