View Full Version : History of Tomars

ravichaudhary
January 31st, 2003, 08:02 AM
2003 5:34 pm
Subject: History of Tomars

ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone come across this boook.

if anyone is in Gwalior, and able to check if the publishers have a
copy avaibale, please pick one up for me.

Tomaron ka ithihass, Dilli ke tomar, Vidya Prakash Mandir, Gwalior,

Author: Dr Hariniwas Dwivedi

Ravi

lrburdak
February 15th, 2003, 08:58 PM
Dear Ravi ji
A few year back, as far as I remember, the book on history of Tomars was released by the Chief Minister of Madhya Pradesh in Gwalior. I could not find a copy of the book but I discussed with some of my tomar friends. Probably it is concerned with Rajputs. I am giving here some facts about origin of Tomar clan.
Tomar Gotra in India is found in Jats, Rajputs and gurjars. Before surrection of Hinduism in India, Rajputs were either jats or gurjars. Till nineth century Tomar clan had neither adopted Brahmanism nor included in Rajput sangh. Presently some Tomar Rajputs consider themselves as Chandravanshi whereas others consider Suryavanshi. In Indian literature word Tomar is derived from Turbasu. Turbasu was son of king Yayati.
Most of the clans or Gotras of Jats have not been defined in Indian languages, leave apart the Gotras which have been sanskritized. In other languages like Pehlevi, Tokhari or scythian many Jat gotras have been defined and explained. Tomar word is originally from Tokhari/scythian which means king or ruler.
L.R.Burdak

ravichaudhary
February 15th, 2003, 10:21 PM
Thank yu for the information

Can you see if the publisher has a copy

Does the publisher still exist

is there a copy in any library

Ravi

vivek
June 23rd, 2003, 06:17 AM
Thank you Laxman ji

I know that Gwalior had a Tomar kingdom, and Dilli was founded by a Tomar, however they were the rajput Tomar variety. Elders in my family were of the opinion, that the ones that admitted the hierarchy of Brahmans to be supreme became Rajputs, and others retained their Jat heritage.

Below are few links that explore jat history.

http://www.punjabilok.com/land/origin_of_saka_race.htm

http://rajputana.htmlplanet.com/scy_raj/scy_raj1.html

Below is an account by a russian author and mentions thokarian history.....our current Thakur derivative

http://home.btconnect.com/CAIS/History/prehistory/saka.htm

It also seems that Rajputs are not a homogenous tribe like the jats, but a rather were a tool of brahmans to supress other people. They included the former Jats, Gujars .. and other local chieftians that had influence. Below is cut and paste from a dalit site.

<<<Dr. Ambedkar has observed:
"One view is that they are foreigners, remnants of the Huns who invaded India and established themselves in Rajputana and whom the Brahmins raised to the status of kshatriyas with the object of using them as means to suppress Budhisms in Central India by a special Ceremony before the sacred fire and who were therefore known as Agnikula kshatriyas...." [W&S,7,178]
He has also given views of Vincent Smith, William Crooke and R.D Bhandarkar. A relevant portion is reproduced here. Vincent Smith observed: [W&S,7,178 ff.]
"...These foreigners like their fore -runners the Sakaa and the Ye-chi university yielded to the wonderful assimilative power of Hinduism and rapidly became Hinduised. Clans or Families which succeeded in winning chieftains were admitted readily into the frame of Hindu polity as Kshatriyas or Rajputs and there is no doubt that the pratiharas and many other famous Rajputs clans of the north were developed out of the barbarian hordes which poured into India during the fifth and sixth centuries. The rank and file of the strangers became Gujars and castes ranking lower than Rajputs in theirs precedence. Further to the south, Various indigenous or aboriginal tribes and clans underwent the same process of Hinduised social promotion in virtue of which Gonds, Bhars, Kharwars and so forth emerged as Chandels, Rathors, Gaharwars and other well known Rajputs clans duly equipped with pedigree reaching back to the sun and moon."
Agnikula Rajputs William Crooke observed:

"... The group denoted by the name Kshatriaya or Rajput depended on status, rather than on descent, and it was therefore possible for foreigners to be introduced into these tribes without any violation of the prejudices of the caste, which was then only partially developed. But it was necessary to disguise this admission of foreigners under a convenient fiction. Hence, arose the legend, how, by a solemn act of purification or initiation under the superintendence of the ancient Vedic Rishis, the fire born septs Known as Agnikula or fire born - viz., the Parmar, Parihar, Chalukya and Chauhan." [W&S,7,178 ff.] >>>

For others interested in non western tilt to historical time line...here's a good link

http://www.angelfire.com/folk/boutios/timeline.html