PDA

View Full Version : Bhagat Phool Singh and his great daughter Smt Subhashni Devi

ishwarlamba
March 12th, 2003, 11:08 AM
Bhagat Phool Singh and his great daughter Smt Subhashni Devi

In 1920s, in village Khanpur Kalan near Gohana in district Sonipat, there was a patwari (land record keeper) named Ch Phool Singh. The patwari had all bad habits of people with black money have like drinking etc. One good thing he was doing was keeping a record of how much bribe money he accepted from his client farmers.
One day one of his friends said I am going to Panipat to attend the satsang of a very famous arya samaj sanyasi, Swami Shardhanand and you also join me. Ch Phool Singh said I am not a good person, I do not deserve it. His friend insisted and took him to Panipat. After satsang, swami ji gave yajopaveet (janeu or holy thread) to all people who attended the satsang. Swami Ji put the janeu around the neck of Ch Phool Singh also, but Patwari Ji did not touch the holy thread and said O holy man I am a very bad person, I do not deserve it. Swami Ji said I am a sadhu, I have done my job, if u do not want it, take it out. Some how the mind changed of Patwari Ji. He said O Holy Man, what I have to do keep this holy thread. Swami Ji said only thing u do is speak truth.
Because of grace of God, the mind of Patwari Ji again changed. He thought black money is the root cause of all his problems. He sold all his village land and asked people of the area to come and take back their money he had taken as the bribe. Villagers said u had done favour to them, done a very good job. Patwari Ji said no it was cheating, I want to clear in this life itself my bad deeds and do not want carry on to my next life. That is how he cleared all the bribed money, as per his diary.
Finally he went to house of a shoemaker(chamar) and said you also take back your insult, I had slapped four times, now u slap me four times. The shoemaker was a very poor old man and replied with folded hands O Patwari Ji, I cannot dare to do that. Patwari Ji said if u do not take back your loan, I will be here and will not accept food or water from any body. All village people came and asked the shoemaker to slap Patwari Ji. After lot of hesitation, the shoemaker just touched the body of Patwari Ji four times.

The villagers called Ch Phool Singh Bhagat Phool Singh from then onwards

After few days Bhagat Ji went to Gurukul Kangri Hardwar to meet Swami Shardanand.
He asked Swami Ji to assign some work to him. Swami Ji said o Bhagat Ji your whole area is without education, please arrange for their education.
Bhagat Phool Singh came to his area and declared that he want start two gurukuls one for girls and one boys. He declared that until I collect Rs10,000, will sleep on ground only and will accept food ones a day. In those days people where so poor that they could not have a paisa, forget about a rupee. Most of the people where borrowing money from money lander for all major functions including marriage.
These villagers where touched by the sacrifice of Bhagat Ji, but for money they where helpless.

Bhagat Ji became so popular that Seth G. D. Birla also heard about him and offered all the required money for the gurukuls. Bhagat Ji refused and said I want money from the money from these poor people only.
It took time, there was panchayat of all Malik villages in the area. People started donating money and finally the girls Gurukul was started in his native village Khanpur Kalan and the boys Gurukul started in village Bainswal.
His daughter Smt Subhashni Devi donated her life to Kanya Gurukul Khanpur. This Gurukul is largest educational institution in Northern India, where education is provided upto postgraduation including medicine and with boarding facility. This is the contribution of Bhagat Phool Singh and his great daughter Smt Subhashni Devi. Smt Subhashni Devi left this mortal world at the age of 90 on 9th March 2003. Let God give peace to this great soul.

With Regards
Ishwar Lamba

lrburdak
March 12th, 2003, 05:02 PM
Respected Lambaji,
It is really very interesting to know story of Bhagat Phool Singh. How the personalities change for the cause of humanity.
May God give peace to late smt.Subhashini devi.

ranjitjat
March 12th, 2003, 07:36 PM
Lamba ji - Thank you

This is a good example of Bhagat PHul singh life. A good lesson to all of us.
I wish to write it but too busy.- Lazy
Subha shani Devi right age is 90 not 80.
Bhagat Phulsingh started SUDHI ANDOLAN ON ADVICE FROM
SAWAMI- SARDHANAND. CONVERTING MULA JATS MUSLIM TO ARYA SAMAJ- HINDU RELIGION. THE FANATIC MUSLIMS OFFENED & MADE BHAGAT JI SHAHEED

JAIHIND- NAMSKAR

ishwarlamba
March 13th, 2003, 04:17 AM
Thanks Dudee Sahib for corrections
Also I am told by Prof Bhim Dev in Sydney that incident which changed Bhagat Ji was in in 1920s.

I do not know much about Mata Subhashni Devi. We have many knowledgable persons on this site, please write a detailed posting on life of Mata Ji.
-----------------------------------------------

Dharmpal Singh Dudee (Mar 12, 2003 09:06 a.m.):
Lamba ji - Thank you

This is a good example of Bhagat PHul singh life. A good lesson to all of us.
I wish to write it but too busy.- Lazy
Subha shani Devi right age is 90 not 80.
Bhagat Phulsingh started SUDHI ANDOLAN ON ADVICE FROM
SAWAMI- SARDHANAND. CONVERTING MULA JATS MUSLIM TO ARYA SAMAJ- HINDU RELIGION. THE FANATIC MUSLIMS OFFENED & MADE BHAGAT JI SHAHEED

JAIHIND- NAMSKAR

ranjitjat
March 13th, 2003, 05:56 AM
Lamba ji-
Please see NCR TRIBUNE & PASTE THE STORY HERE.
I do not know how ?
CHEERS

scsheorayan
March 13th, 2003, 06:48 AM
Thanks Lamba ji like father like daughter, great people and shining example of how self analysis can reform people. Gos rest their souls in peace and inspire modern Jats to follow their example.