PDA

View Full Version : Did our ancestors damage India ?

vivek
March 17th, 2003, 03:31 AM
I was bored today, so I decided to again surf the net about Jat history. It seems to me that the sikh jatts are fixated on scythian origin of jat whereby they are descendent of jutes or the kingdom ruled by messgetae. In other links there seems to be a link between the jats and the lost people of israel (on a hebrew site...so we could all be jews according to that link). Another theory, and I will concentrate on this theory, is that the present day Jats and Rajput are descendents of the White Huns or ephradites (or Hephthaltes..or Hunas). These White huns are separate from the more common huns that overran europe (mongloid group that Atilla the Hun belonged to). This group was nomadic, fiercely independent, peasants and had a system of 'Panchayat' that ruled on village matters. Similar system of governance is seen in the Pushtuns. They reportedly originated in the Lake Baikul area of Russia.

When you read Indian history, it seems that during Chandragupta Maurya times, India was going through a golden age. This has been described by Fa Hein, the Chinese traveller, and also later by Meghastheanese, the Greek historian.

Buddhism seems to be a prevalent religion, and Hinduism was influenced by it.(There was a tussle going on between hinduism and Budhism).

Buddism is a noble religion, but its populism may have been responsible for failure to adhere to a tenet of hinduism...i.e development of military science and keeping military skills sharp to thwart evil.

This resulted in perhaps (all my dillitente deduction) white huns overrunning the northern plains and destroying civilization. The descendent of the White Huns (according to historians) are found amongst the Jats and the Rajputs. Nowhere in the Rigveda or Puranas are jats or rajput mentioned, and it seemed that they altered the traditional hierarchy of the caste system.

It may be later argued that Brahmins bribed certain rulers with a higher position if they accepted hinduism and high position of Brahmins in society..and the resultant division between jats and rajputs (brahmins practicing their own version of divide and rule).

All accounts that I have read state that the invasions by White Huns was devastating, and the huns were cruel, and laid waste entire civilization that was built by previous rulers. There doesn't seem to be too much description beyond the fact that we learned some of the Hephthalite kings ruling India from coins. The most famous ones were Toramana and Mihrakula ruling India in the first half of the 6th century

Anyways..back to my thesis. . Jats were so fiercely independent, they refused to be ruled by a central entity, and had their own 'village states' ruled by Panchayat. This caused feudalism, and their was no strong central ruler. I know Ghazni came later on, and Prithviraj Chauhan, and Jaipal should have allianced against the villian, but isn't it the independent nature of jats (rajputs), the cause of their downfall. The only time Jats were united under Surajmal, they defeated the British..

I know I am going to get flak for this, but first our ancestors destroyed the existing civilzation between 600 and 900 AD..and the devastation was quite complete(according to history, our ancestors were quite cruel too). They then feuded with each other and ended up creating village states. The lack of central authority and coordination then enabled the muslims to take over easier then it would have with a united jat kingdom. It seems to me that our desire to be independent may have cost us greater power.

vivek
March 17th, 2003, 05:50 AM
The point of my last post was to illustrate a maxim, so easily understood, yet hard to acheive due to egos and ambitions. A saying that built empires and slaved others....'United we stand...divided we fall'. In other words, the age old wisdom of divide and rule.