PDA

View Full Version : Why Our Women Folk Still In Ghoonghat ?

devdahiya
January 19th, 2005, 07:46 AM
Dear members,

Why Jat women are still in GHOONGHAT ? Why it is not allowed to go ? What makes our women so inferior ? Why aren't they allowed to grow? Are we men solely responsible for this social backwardness of our women. Isn't it the high time that our women be taken out of this CHAKKRAVAYYUH. I for one feel that it is absurd to say the least.Why only women have to suffer like this.Any inputs????

rkumar
January 19th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Traditionally, brides have been thought to be particularly vulnerable to evil spirits and many of the customs and traditions associated with weddings are to provide protection. The veil was originally worn by Roman brides. It was thought that it would disguise the bride and therefore outwit malevolent spirits. Later on it got associated with modesty and chastity.

To add some curiocity the bride was veiled and the groom was not allowed to see the bride's face until after the wedding ceremony.

In some Jewish weddings there is a ritual where the groom ensures that the bride is his intended before placing the veil over her face.

The tradition of veil is in every community except the duration for which its kept..We jats seem to be trying for world records ...Hhahhaa ...to keep it for ever..

RK^2

jagmohan
January 19th, 2005, 03:21 PM
Dahiya Saheb,

Q: Why Jat women are still in GHOONGHAT?

A: Only in the Villages, mostly. Families that have shifted base to a Town do not follow this tradition. Only once in a blue moon when the 'townwallahs' go to their village, the 'Bahu' may wear the 'duppatta' on her head or 'Nikalo Ghoonghat'. And of course then they also go to town telling everyone how traditional they are!!!

Personally speaking there is nothing wrong in sporting a 'Ghoonghat'. Doing so does not make a woman inferior.

Q: Why it is not allowed to go?

A: Who has stopped us from doing so? Charity begins at home. I hardly see anyone in my family and many others sporting a 'Ghoonghat'.

Q: What makes our women so inferior?

A: Who says our woman are inferior. If we feel so, it is because we have not given equal status to women. That means we only talk, write and argue and don't practice what we say.

Q: Why aren't they allowed to grow?

A: Prejudiced minds, inferiority complex and the fear that woman may turn out better than most of us. 'Mulgi Shikhli, Pragati Jhaali' (Educate the Girl and Ensure Progress) is a slogan practiced by few.

Regards,

JS Malik

dahiyars
January 20th, 2005, 11:41 PM
Dear Devji
I agree fully that ghunghat ko alvida kahna hoga. but we are not able to do so. Mrs Prem Chaudhry lecturer in Moranda College Delhi has written a book on " Veiled women of Haryana" where she has critically analysed this issue also.
To me it appears that to have a power control over women by the the Patriarch society this tradition might have been started. It is clear that we can get knowledge through our 5 senses- eyes by seeing, ears by listening, nose by smelling, tongue by tasting and hand by touch. Out of these four are within the GHUNGHAT. By this way women was not allowed to get knowledge. Even She was supposed to do Ghunghat from the Chaupal of a village to avoid her participation in decision making process.
It is not only a ghunghat issue, it is a gender question and it can not be addressed in isolation. A New Samaj Sudhar Andolan in form of NAV JAGRAN is the need of the day where all human beings can have a place with dignity.
D r.R.S.Dahiya