PDA

View Full Version : Any Jat in Ardmore or Oklahoma

sangwans
January 22nd, 2005, 01:24 PM
I need some information about childrens schools related and allied information for Ardmore, Oklahoma with respect to our plans of a years Sojourn to Ardmore (Samuel Robert Noble Foundation) in near future (FEb/March 05). Response would be highly appreciated. Regards: Rajender Sangwan

sandeepmehla
February 11th, 2005, 06:06 AM
Hi,

I used to live in Tulsa which is about 60 miles from Oklahoma city, Can you be
please be more specific in your information (regarding class), so that i can
help u
Regards,
Sandeep

sindhu
February 11th, 2005, 08:56 PM
Dr. Sangwan,

Let me clear few things here. Very first thing that there is a law of desegeration in USA which came in effect to give equal opportunity of education for all. Of course education (School education) is free in USA. So searching for school is of no help here. you can not send your kids to the school of your choice, it is the school districts which decide where your kids will go to school, unless you want to pay a hefty amt of fee to the school which 98% people do not prefer.

In a way it is good it brings down the desparity among classes, ofcourse everybody is not rich in USA which most people in India think.

So it all depends where you choose to make your residense (I mean which school district), your kids will go to that school. Almost all schools are similar except a few which are very good and are private which costs lot of money.

If you come to choose which school are good, it is really a daunting task and depend on criteria which you are looking for. Good in sports ?, good in overall descipline, good in grades. And if you choose to live in a school district of your choice, then be prepared to pay more rent (ofcourse in a better school district, property prices go up and so is rent) and travel very long distances to your office some time which some time is not practical specially for a person who is new to USA.

I am sure it is no different in Oklahoma, as in California, it is really a competition between city authorities to hire reputed school teachers and make schools better to make their districts more attaractive to business, property prices, which is good and thats how most time things work here.

Surely people like to move to a better school district and buy property in a better school district and that makes housing prices go up.

So you see, no matter how much a Govt. does to give all classes equal opportunity but in reality,desparity does exist. They are still not sure what to do next. In some states like Louisiana, I think they are required to maintain diversity among students to get Govt grants (Thats one way to keep uniformity which also some time do not work)

Strange but true

Welcome to USA

Sindhu

I need some information about childrens schools related and allied information for Ardmore, Oklahoma with respect to our plans of a years Sojourn to Ardmore (Samuel Robert Noble Foundation) in near future (FEb/March 05). Response would be highly appreciated. Regards: Rajender Sangwan

ravichaud
February 19th, 2005, 08:16 AM

Dr. Sangwans,

Hello, my name is Ravi Chaudhary. As a military member, I have experienced many primary school districts in U.S., from some of the top, to the absolute worst. They vary quite a bit from state to state in funding capabilities and emphasis (my wife has worked as a teacher in Texas and Georgia, and can atest to the same). Having spent some time in OK, I can say that you will enjoy the friendly atmosphere of a middle America town. I looked up the web page for the ardmore public school system. If you have not visited this site yet, I would highly recommend it. There are plenty of contact numbers there and you can be comfortable in contacting principles (headmasters) of their schools directly if you have questions, by e-mail if need be. You may find that the areas of math and science may be lacking. Here are some questions I recommend you ask:

How does your program rank nationally? Where do their test scores rank?
Does your high school have college prep courses in Math and the Sciences?
How large are the classes?
Are there honors programs for gifted students?

If you get the impression that the school is not going to meet your needs, you may want to research availability of private schools in the area. Since Ardmore is a smaller community, there may be few options, however, the Dallas area is not far.

Here is the site:
http://www.ardmore.k12.ok.us/

Don't hesitate to contact them directly. As a middle America agricultural town, you may get some surprising discussion, and questions that you may feel are a bit ignorant. Do not take offense, most of these folks are just curious due to lack of exposure to a variety of cultures on a regular basis. They typically mean no harm. You will enjoy your time there. Don't forget to buy a pair of cowboy boots and visit the local Rodeo! And do visit the OK city Riverplace!

respectfully
Ravi Chaudhary
Charleston, South Carolina