PDA

View Full Version : Why is there no mention of Jats in Indian history textbooks ?

ravichaudhary
May 29th, 2003, 06:02 AM
Most of us who start to study the History of our people, the Jats, run into a dead end, there is no mention of them in history texts or if there is, it is only in the passing.

Or we suddenly appear around the time of the Islamic invasion in lower Sindh( now pakistan).

(Evidently that is also what Nithin Dahiya propagates on his history section of this JATLAND.com site. I have been trying to get him to change that for some time, and I guess one of these days he will delegate the task to someone other than himself.)

The History and Culture of the Indian People, (HCIP) is basically an excellent and comprehensive history of India, Complied in the early fifties by a group of dedicated historians. (Inexpensive at Rs 150 a copy the prices have not changed for 15 years- a recommended series for every house)

Yet even there for example in HCIP, vole III, there are only 2 references to the Jats .It is, as we did not exist.

Various writers have commented on this, Desraj (1934), Joon (1934) Dahiya, (1982) Pauria, and (1993) Ahlawat (1988)

To me this was also quite a surprise.

Even he, the learned Professor is silent, for his preceding chapter covers the Jat emperor Harshvardhan of Kanauj, but he is not refereed to as a Jat.

So it is with some interest I came across (his) Prof. R C Majumdar's comments Page 174, in his "Chapter of Northern India during A.D.650-750"

We need to change this.

I need volunteers, who will help . Contact me directly, if you do not wish to do so publically

Ravi

In Volume III, the Classical Age Professor R C Majumdar writes

"If there had been a history of India written without prejudices and predilections, the heroic deeds of these brave people, (the Jats- my Italics) who stemmed the tide of Islam for two centuries, would certainly have received the recognition they so richly deserve"

" We may now critically review the main incidents narrated above in connection with the early Muslim raids on the western borderlands of India. It is well known that only four routes are open to a hostile army operating against India from the west. One way is by the sea, and the other three lies roughly speaking through Chiba Pass, Bolan Pass and the Makran coast. From the very commencement, we find the Arabs endeavoring to penetrate into India through every one of these routes. The early naval raids against Thana, Broach and Debal, and subsequent raids in the same direction, mark their vain efforts to reach India by sea. Of the land-routes, the Khyber Pass was guarded by Kabul and Zabul while the Bolan Pass was protected by the brave Jats of Kikan or Kikanan. The long-drawn struggles of the Arabs with these powers, narrated above, mark their steady but fruitless endeavours to enter India through the two great passes. The hardy mountaineers of these regions' backed by the natural advantage of their hilly country, offered stubborn resistance to the conquerors of the world, and though often defeated, ever refused to yield. If there had been a history of India written without prejudices and predilections, the heroic deeds of these brave people, who stemmed the tide of Islam for two centuries, would certainly have received the recognition they so richly deserve.

When the other three routes failed, the Arabs attempted the fourth one through Makran coast. It is not difficult to explain why the Arabs succeeded in this route while they failed in the others. While the equipment of the Arab army was made on a lavish scale, and forces were requisitioned even from distant Syria, Sindh was at the moment exhausted by civil wars, internal discords, and foreign aggression that had been going on for more than half a century."

sheoran007
June 8th, 2003, 04:05 PM
well delhi ruled by jats indirectly since decline of prithivi raj chauhan . the large capitol area is inhabited by jats .our great riyasat[ kingdom] was established by raja gokula and his brother at bhartpur.the rulers of delhi paid a regular amount to protect the capital from invaders. aurangzeb stopped this amount and levied heavy taxes on agro lands of jats , in resentment they plundered the tomb of akbar the great as written by so called historian of india.but in reality they captured the state booty to check the further increasement of land taxes. only jat kings didnt pay khutaba or paibas to mughals . this thing was not tolareted by high historians of that time and they adoptedto write a tilted angle of jat history. i will write more next time.