PDA

View Full Version : A glimpse of History

sindhu
June 5th, 2003, 07:35 PM
Most of the Indian History is written by foreigners and has been twisted by many others giving a twisted and not real view. SOme of the archieves from history I am enclosing here from posted on the net.

Timur and Jats - Part III - The Jat Sarv Khap version

In 1398 AD Timur made a ferocious attack on Bharat (India) with 92,000 horsemen. On receiving the news of Timur's total and open looting and destruction, in Vikram Samvat 1455(1398 AD), kartick badi 5, Raja Devpala (who was born in the village of Nirpradha, District Meerut in a Jat family), who was incharge of the of the Haryana SarvKhap Panchayat, called a Mahapanchayat in the jungles in the middle of the villages of Tikri, Doghat, and Daha.

The chief committee passed the following resolutions: -
1) All villages would be emptied.
2) The elders and women, and children would be taken to safe places
3) All able-bodied men would join the army of the SarvKhap
4) Th young women would also take up arms like the men.
5) The army of Timur, which was advancing from Delhi to Haridwar, would be fought with Guerilla warfare, and the water in his way would be poisoned.
6) 500 young horsemen would follow Timur and report his whereabouts to the SarvKhap army

The Panchayat Army: Under the flag of the panchayat, 80,000 warrior soldiers (Mulls) and 40,000 young women joined together. These heroes also handled all the arrangements of the war materiel. From hundreds of miles around Delhi Heroic warriors came to the battlefield ready to sacrifice their lives. All the young men and women took up arms. Dharampal Dev a Jat warrior, who was 95 years old, played a great part in gathering together this army. He traveled day and night on horseback to encourage men and women and gather the army. His brother Karan Pal helped arrange money, grain, and clothing for the army.

The choosing of the Supreme General, the deputy general and the other generals.

In this endeavor of the SarvKhap, the hero warrior Jograj Singh Gujar was chosen Supreme General. He was of the Clan Khubar Parmar, and hailed from a village near Haridwar called Kunja. Later this Village was uprooted and destroyed by the Mughals. The clan of the Hero Jograj Singh escaped from this village and reached Lundora, Detract of Sahranpur, where they settled. Here they established the Lundora Gujar Kingdom. Jograj Singh was a celibate and renowned wrestler. He was 7 feet, 9 inches tall, and weighed 8 maunds. His daily diet was four seers of grain, 5 seers of vegetables and fruit, one seer of cows' s ghee (Clarified butter) and 20 seers of Cows milk. (Approximately: 1 seer = I kilogram, I maund + 40 seers = 40 kilograms).

The general chosen from among the heroic maidens were 1) Rampiari Gujar, 2) Hardai Jat, 2) DeviKaur Rajput, 3) Chandro Brahmin, and 4) Ramdai Tyagi. All of them took a vow to lay down their lives in defence of their nation.

Deputy Generals - 1) Dhula Bhangi ( Valmiki), and (2) Harbir Singh Gulia Jat, were chosen.

Dhula Bhangi was a resident of the Village of Hansi, near Hissar. He was a strong and powerful brave warrior. An expert in guerilla warfare, a great raider, his weight was 53 Dharis (I dhari = 5 seer. Approx. 160 kilograms). On being chosen as Deputy general, he gave a speech, " In my life I have made many raids your giving me respect has made my blood boil. I take a vow before all the warriors, that I will spill my blood for the defense of my nation, and will not let the pure flag of the SarvKhap be lowered. I have taken part in many wars, and will sacrifice my life in this one". Having said this he took some blood from his hip, and sprinkled it at the feet of the supreme general. He then unsheathed his sword and said" This will drink the blood of the enemy and will not go back to its sheath." Hearing the speech of this heroic warrior, a wave of enthusiasm and courage ran through the army of the Panchayat, and every cried out slogans of the motherland.

The second deputy general was Harbir Singh Jat, of the Gulia Clan. He was from the village Badli, district Rohtak I Haryana He was 22 years old, and weighed 53 Dharis (approx. 160 kilograms). He was strong and brave warrior,

The names of the generals were 1) Gaje Singh Jat Gatwala, 2) Tuhiram Rajput, 3) Nedha Rawa, 4) Sarju Brahmin, 5) Umra Taga (Tyagi), and 6) Durjanpal Ahir.

The deputy generals chosen were 1) Kundan Jat, 2) Dhari Gadariya, who was a Dhari, 3) Bhondhu Saini, 4) Hulla Nai ( barber),5) Bhana Julaha ( Harijan) 6) Aman Singh Pundir ,rajput 7) Nathu Pardar, rajput Dhulla ( Dhandi) Jat, who would lead raids from Hissar, to Dadri, to Multan.9) Mamchand Gujar 10) Phalwa Kahaar.

Assistant generals. 20 assistant's generals were chosen from the various jatis (castes).

The hero Bard: the Eminent Scholar Poet Chandrabhutt (Bhat) as chosen as the official Bard. He wrote an eye witness account of the war with Timur.

SOME EXCEPRPTS FROM THE SPEECH OF THE SUPREME GENERAL JOGRAJ SINGH.

' Viroh (Heroes), reflect on the sermon given by Lord Krishna to Arjun in the Gita. For us the door t heaven (moksha) has been opened. That moksha, which the Rishi Munis achieve by doing Yoga, the hero warriors achieve by sacrificing their lives on the battlefield. Save the nation, that is- sacrifice yourselves, the world will honor you. You have chosen me leader. To my last breath I will not withdraw. I salute the Panchayat, and take oath that until my last breath I will defend the soil of Bharat. Our nation has been shaken by the crimes and attacks of Timur. Warriors arise and do not delay. Fight the enemy army and throw them out of the nation."

On hearing this speech a wave of heroism ran through the assembly. 80, 000 warriors and 40,000 maiden warriors kissed their swords and took an oath, ' O General, while we breathe we will obey your orders, and sacrifice our lives for our country'.

The Troops. - the Panchayat Army, spread out from Delhi, to Meerut, Muzzafarnagar, Sahranpur, and Haridwar. On reaching these places they tangled with the armies of Timur, and using Guerilla warfare, they did not them sit still. The enemy army had to escape by the route of the hills and the enemy was chased upto Ambala, and expelled out from the land of Haryana.

THE BATTLE OF DELHI:-

At the time that Timur was looting Delhi, and putting the population to the sword.

20,000 warriors of the Panchayat army, made a surprise attack on the 52,000 strong army of Timur in the middle of the night, and killed 9,000 of them, and let their corpses be swept away in the river Yamuna. As soon as dawn came these heroic soldiers of the Panchayat returned to outside the city walls. The battle carried on like this for three days.

Timur Lung got frustrated , left Delhi and advanced toward Meerut.

THE BATTLE OF MEERUT: -

Timur, with his numerous and powerful army, with much weaponry, advanced towards Meerut. In this land, Timur's army was given no space to breathe. The battles continued all through the day. Wherever the Army of Timur would stop for the night, the Panchayat army would attack, and uproot them. The heroic Devis (goddesses- women) would deliver food and war material to their soldiers wherever they were. The warrior maidens would attack and loot the supplies of the enemy. The 500 horsemen were doing their duty by keeping everyone together and bearing information.

As supplies were not reaching them, the army of Timur started to go hungry. Whichever village came in its path would be destroyed.

Becoming frustrated Timur advanced towards Haridwar.

THE BATTLE OF HARIDWAR:

Beyond Meerut, to Muzzafarnagar and Sahranpur, the Panchayat armies fought fiercely with Timur and did not let his army take hold (grip). The Supreme General,. the Deputy Generals and the Generals were handling their armies well. The army of Timur reached Tuglakpur- Pathrigarh, which is 5 Kos south of Haridwar.

In this land the army of the Panchayat fought three major battles with the army of Timur.

The Deputy Commander Harbir Singh Gulia, along with 25,000 warriors of the Panchayat army, made a fierce attack on a big group of Timur's horsemen, and a fierce battle ensued where arrows and spears were used (There over2, 000 hill archers joined the Panchayat Army. One arrow pierced Timur's hand.). Timur was in the army of horsemen. Harbir Singh Gulia charged ahead like a lion, and hit Timur on his chest with a spear, and he was about to fall under his horse, when his commander Khijra, saved him and separated him from the horse. (Timur eventually died from this wound when he reached Samarkhand). The spearmen and swordsmen of the enemy leapt on the Harbir Singh Gulia, and he fainted from the wounds he received and fell.

1. At that very time, the Supreme Commander Jograj Singh Gujar, with 22,000 Mulls (warriors) attacked the enemy and killed 5000 horsemen. Jograj Singh himself with his own hands lifted the unconscious Harbir Singh and brought him to the camp. But a few hours later, the hero warrior Harbir Singh achieved martyrdom. Jograj Singh suffered a big blow from the martyrdom of the warrior.

2 In the Jungles of Haridwar, the guard of Timur, made up of 2805 soldiers was attacked by the Deputy commander, warrior Dhula Dhardi and 190 soldiers. The killed many enemy soldiers and all 190 soldiers achieved martyrdom.

3 In the third battle the Supreme Commander Jograj Singh and his heroic warriors fiercely attacked the army of Timur and forced him to flee towards Ambala. In this battle the hero Jograj Singh suffered 45 wounds but he kept his senses. The heroic warriors of the Panchayat army did not let Timur's army reach the Banks of the holy Ganga (Har Ki Pauri).

Timur fled towards Ambala by way of the Hills. This fleeing army of Timur was chased upto Ambala by the army of the Panchayat, and expelled from their nation of Haryana.

The heroic warrior Durjanpal Ahir achieved his place in heaven in the battle of Meerut, at Delhi Gate, with 200 of his soldiers.

In these battles the generals who were wounded or killed would be replaced. One warrior Rajput of the Kachwaha Clan took over the post of Deputy Commander. One Rawa and one Saini took up the post of Senapati (general). Only 5 senapatis (generals) survived this war, the rest achieved martyrdom.

In these battles of the 250,000 soldiers of Timur, our warriors sent 160,000 to the banks of river of death, and the dreams of Timur were swept away.

35,000 warriors of our Panchayat army were martyred.

MARTYDOM OF THE SUPREME COMMANDER. The hero warrior Jograj Singh Gujar passed away after the war in the Jungles of Rishikesh.

Source : Jat Viron ka Ithihas (Hindi) (The History of the Jats) (1992)

The Haryana Sarvkhap Panchayat historical records, folio -43, and according to the manuscript of Chandradutt Bhutt (bhat) of the Sarvkhap Panchayat who is a contemporary of the times (and of which the author has a copy and gives the version of the war of the army of the Panchayat withTimur, as below.

Captain Dalip Singh Ahlawat, Acharya Printing Press, Dayanand Mut, Rohtak, India.

mbamal
June 5th, 2003, 08:07 PM
very inspiring indeed...thanks for posting

ravichaudhary
June 5th, 2003, 08:32 PM
It is good to see that our version of our history is finding more and more awareness, as Sindhuji and others find such articles on the net.

The full article is in these archives and the Jathistory group, URL below

Timur.doc, in the files section,

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/files/

The group is for creating awareness of our history in all, Jats and non Jats, and especially in our children and the younger generation.

Do join, and invite your friends and family to join . To join click on join, enter your e mail address or send me an e mail. It is free.

Your help is invaluable, even if it just a silent membership, and the odd
message of support now and then.

The net is actually a great leveler, and I find it a wonderful way to spread awareness at a low cost.

When Dilip Singh Ahlawat brought his book out in 1988, there were very few people who knew about it. I learnt of in 1996, and picked up a copy, the tragedy was the copies were being sold through various Jat Sabhas, and they were also having a difficult time selling them.

It would be wonderful, and actually this is the hope of many of us, that he as a great pioneer Jat historiian receives the recognition he so richly deserves, from our community and the rest of the world.

H S Pauria Passed away a few years ago, and could not get his full recognition.

We should all do our best to correct this.

I would like to see his works translated in to English, and digitalized both in English and Hindi.

Any volunteers, who could help?

Please contact me directly.

Ravi Chaudhary