PDA

View Full Version : Scythians

abhishek
June 5th, 2003, 08:59 PM
More often than not one finds the origin of jats linked to scythians. I surfed internet for some info on scythians and there were numerous articles on them.
Interestingly even origin of scythians is not yet clear and is hotly debated among historians.
But one thing is for sure that they were rollicking around central asia ,south of black sea, around 5th century BC . Also iranians called Scythians as ""Saca". Are these "Saca" same as "Shaka" we read in indian history. If I am not wrong Kushan was Shaka king who ruled Mathura during initial years of last millenium.
Also after their great king Atheas who ruled them in 4th century BC they suddenly disappeared.If Kushan was a shaka then it seems very difficult for me to find a scythian king ruling in heart of india 300 years after their tribe mysteriously disappeared and that too all the way down to gangetic plains from southern black sea??Because Scythians were mainly attacking areas around them and for that matter they didnt attack Iran. They were limited to Assyria and areas around.
On some featurs of scythians well they were the first horse riders in human history and gave to world what we wear these days as trousers.
Comments are welcome.

abhishek
June 5th, 2003, 09:07 PM
Correction: Kushan was dynasty and King was Kanishka