PDA

View Full Version : Please Dont Remove Posts unless found DIRTY

devdahiya
February 6th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Dear administrators,

I understand and appreciate your thankless job but that does not mean that you edit or remove any post/thread at your will....without communicating the reasons of deleting/edit to the worthy members.It has happened with me a few times. Please appriciate that it takes efforts ant time[not to talk expenditure] to present things out here at JATLAND.........and hence.....KENCHY CHALLAO PAR HALLAL MAT KARO PLEASE. hope you take corrective action and be more considerate towards the sensitivities of members.

Thanks

devdahiya
February 6th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Dear Administrators,

It was requested to close the thread .........I AM SORRY...With a final word from one of the Administrators......and not to remove it in total. This is bad.........NOT AGREED

uday
February 6th, 2005, 09:50 PM
Bhai Administratrooo,

Muskalaa si te jawab lekha tha... Angrezi bazzey aapa sa nahi... le de ke jugaaad sa bhadaya tha.. aur mere yaar tamney tame nahi laya or sadak de si ne mita diya...

Yaar kam te kam itna to bata do ek mere jawab ke vajah se to nahi hataya.. aur kimey galat lagyya ho :p :p .. I am sorry for replying on thread I am Sorry .. Merey Batoo eb ke kam te kam bata te do ek gaalti ke thee, if any.

Stay Tuned
Uday

ndahiya
February 6th, 2005, 10:33 PM
Friends,

There is little fun in deleting messages, but, it is often needed to maintain sanity and order.

Threads/posts are deleted if:

a. They are in poor taste, abusive, inflamatory, or otherwise inappropriate ref the content. Some members think it more appropriate to post on the forum rather than send the mods a PM. We might disagree, and the post gets treated as a PM (ie, acted upon and deleted).

b. In the careers/education forums, if they do not add to the discussion and are merely congratulatory. Once a while is ok, but if becomes a pattern, then the utility of the thread is reduced. To appreciate a thread, use the RATING system rather than posting a little-value-adding appreciation post.

c. Often posts are not deleted but just moved to another forum because they were posted in the wrong forum to begin with. Please be careful where you post, and check the other forums.

The bottom-line is this: Moderating is an effort intensive process. We do not enjoy it. Be careful on what you post, and there will be no need for moderation.

We will try and be more communicative when we delete threads/posts, but members might also like to PM one of the mods to seek a clarification if they are confused about the reason.

Nitin

ndahiya
February 6th, 2005, 10:44 PM
Dear Administrators,

It was requested to close the thread .........I AM SORRY...With a final word from one of the Administrators......and not to remove it in total. This is bad.........NOT AGREED

Many of the posts were uncivil and the best course was to delete the thread. If you recall, the thread was allowed to "cool-off" for a while. That obviously did not have any effect. Hence the delete.

junnu
February 7th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Bhai Dev and Uday,
I have just finished discussing this same topic about deleting the thread quitely, without any info to the thread originator.
The situation was there was a girl with a sindhi last name, so I posted this...and nitin deleted it...but didnt bother to tell me...so i asked him. His responce was that he had taken care of this nonjat memebership and deleted it. But till we dont come to know....its pointless...hence my reaction.
Anyhow, Nitin has promised that in future he will also send a quick email, or message to let the person know that the job is done. Since we, as memebers dont have any way of finding out the same.
Regarding screwups, yes I think you both have a point, that one must be given some explanation, so it doesnt get repeated. Not that an explanation is mandatory, but just polite. LOL
Pyaar Bante Chalo !! :o)

Junnu

kulwant
February 7th, 2005, 09:46 PM
It is good to have some rules to maintain the discipline on the Site, but those rules must be applicable to the administrators(dont take it personally) as well. Many times I have observed you people to be protective and very selective in your approach when it comes to deleting the posts and threads.

You kept the thread(I AM SORRY) active for a long time and also the Personal Message of JITENDER SINGH was on display, but what was the urgency to delete the thread when JITENDER gave the clarification about that message. Dont you think that he(Jitender) also has emotions and feeling like any body else. He also has selfrespect and dignity. At the most you could have put the stop on that thread and let every body see JITENDER'S side of story too.

I am not writing all these things just to make a fuss and start unwanted arguements as one wellwisher blamed me for. I dont have habit of keeping quite just to earn the Title of a "GENTLEMAN"

Friends,

There is little fun in deleting messages, but, it is often needed to maintain sanity and order.

Threads/posts are deleted if:

a. They are in poor taste, abusive, inflamatory, or otherwise inappropriate ref the content. Some members think it more appropriate to post on the forum rather than send the mods a PM. We might disagree, and the post gets treated as a PM (ie, acted upon and deleted).

b. In the careers/education forums, if they do not add to the discussion and are merely congratulatory. Once a while is ok, but if becomes a pattern, then the utility of the thread is reduced. To appreciate a thread, use the RATING system rather than posting a little-value-adding appreciation post.

c. Often posts are not deleted but just moved to another forum because they were posted in the wrong forum to begin with. Please be careful where you post, and check the other forums.

The bottom-line is this: Moderating is an effort intensive process. We do not enjoy it. Be careful on what you post, and there will be no need for moderation.

We will try and be more communicative when we delete threads/posts, but members might also like to PM one of the mods to seek a clarification if they are confused about the reason.

Nitin

devdahiya
February 7th, 2005, 09:54 PM
It is good to have some rules to maintain the discipline on the Site, but those rules must be applicable to the administrators(dont take it personally) as well. Many time I have observed you people to be protective and very selective in your approach when it comes to deleting the posts and threads.

You kept the thread(I AM SORRY) active for a long time and also the Personal Message of JITENDER SINGH was on display, but what was the urgency to delete the thread when JITENDER gave the clarification about that message. Dont you think that he(Jitender) also has emotions and feeling like any body else. He also has selfrespect and dignity. At the most you could have put the stop on that thread and let every body see JITENDER'S side of story too.

I am not writing all these things just to make a fuss and start unwanted arguements as one wellwisher blamed me for. I dont have habit of keeping quite just to earn the Title of a "GENTLEMAN"1

I THINK IT IS FAIR ENOUGH AND SHOULD BE CONSIDERED WITH ALL POSSIBLE HUMILITY AT ONE'S DISPOSAL.

uday
February 7th, 2005, 10:03 PM
ek kali yaad aa gayi... ;)

Aachee konya laagi Aaanjana pawanbhup sriram ke.....

Stay Tuned

I THINK IT IS FARE ENOUGH AND SHOLD BE CONSIDERED WITH ALL POSSIBLE HUMILITY AT ONE'S DISPOSAL.

monica
February 8th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Dear Major Kulwant

I have been watching these interesting dicussions over the moderation efforts since the past few days. Having some exposure to the moderator's side, I think its impossible to satisfy everyone's wishes. Everytime a moderation is done, all posts related to the problem-causing post get deleted and people take it personally. A moderator is not trying to bring harm to anyone, her/his only job is to facilitate a healthy discussion.

About Jitendar's post, there were well-over 20 posts after he explaned his side of the story (including 4 from you). Inspite of that, the discussion did not return to normal. Now, all the moderators have a full-time job apart from runnning this web-site. They sometimes have to take a quick call on whether to delete or keep a thread going, in order to avoid a crisis - many a times while sitting in office. That doesnt mean they are trying to protect anyone or harm anyone. (Also deleting a post is just a tip of the work that gets done behind the scenes to keep the site in order). I think if anything we should appreciate the kind of time people like Anu invest (without any personal benefit) in keeping this medium alive.

As you can see there are so many hot-discussions happening on the forums these days, with people using foul language or getting angry publically. Its impossible to explain the reason for every action that modrators take to all the members. Some people are bound to disagree on any given topic and a public exaplanation everytime an action is taken will mean even more useless discussion - which IMHO is a waste of such a useful resource.

I wonder if people could invest as much energy in contributing to some informative discussions rather than questioning every single action being taken by moderators.

I don't think this website was started to have the joy of hurting people by deleteing their messages.

Regards
Monica

It is good to have some rules to maintain the discipline on the Site, but those rules must be applicable to the administrators(dont take it personally) as well. Many times I have observed you people to be protective and very selective in your approach when it comes to deleting the posts and threads.

I am not writing all these things just to make a fuss and start unwanted arguements as one wellwisher blamed me for. I dont have habit of keeping quite just to earn the Title of a "GENTLEMAN"1

devdahiya
February 8th, 2005, 07:25 AM
My dear Monica,

Your point well taken but i am still of the opinion that the Thread in question be restored with necessary editing and not kept in recycle bin.One of the administrators can block it with his/her final word with NO FURTHER SUBSCRIPTION BOARD. Rest you all are wise enough and i would not like to comment any more on this issue.

Regards

kulwant
February 8th, 2005, 08:00 AM
Monica Ji,

I think you didnt get me properly, what i have written here was after observing for some time.

Yes, we must keep our energy for better cause, but if something is having undesirable effects then one should not hesitate in diverting that energy.

Arguement or debate on any TOPIC is the waste of energy till the time it is finally concluded, and allways there is a section of people which get benefitted during the course of arguements and debates.

I also admit it openly that this JATLAND Site is one of the best, and aim of criticising is not to downplay the good efforts done by the Administrators. You can ask Anu Rana and Nitin Dahiya, what I have told them about this site.

Fine, you will not see any post from my side on this issue hereafter.

Dear Major Kulwant

I have been watching these interesting dicussions over the moderation efforts since the past few days. Having some exposure to the moderator's side, I think its impossible to satisfy everyone's wishes. Everytime a moderation is done, all posts related to the problem-causing post get deleted and people take it personally. A moderator is not trying to bring harm to anyone, her/his only job is to facilitate a healthy discussion.

About Jitendar's post, there were well-over 20 posts after he explaned his side of the story (including 4 from you). Inspite of that, the discussion did not return to normal. Now, all the moderators have a full-time job apart from runnning this web-site. They sometimes have to take a quick call on whether to delete or keep a thread going, in order to avoid a crisis - many a times while sitting in office. That doesnt mean they are trying to protect anyone or harm anyone. (Also deleting a post is just a tip of the work that gets done behind the scenes to keep the site in order). I think if anything we should appreciate the kind of time people like Anu invest (without any personal benefit) in keeping this medium alive.

As you can see there are so many hot-discussions happening on the forums these days, with people using foul language or getting angry publically. Its impossible to explain the reason for every action that modrators take to all the members. Some people are bound to disagree on any given topic and a public exaplanation everytime an action is taken will mean even more useless discussion - which IMHO is a waste of such a useful resource.

I wonder if people could invest as much energy in contributing to some informative discussions rather than questioning every single action being taken by moderators.

I don't think this website was started to have the joy of hurting people by deleteing their messages.

Regards
Monica