PDA

View Full Version : How to help!

ravichaudhary
June 20th, 2003, 01:57 AM
Sujata wrote:

Hi everyone...
All of this information makes me wonder how much we still don't know about our roots! It is a painstaking process, but some one has got to do it! I think it is time we started making concerted efforts to concise this information in a user-friendly format and make available to the younger generation. My own information about our culture has been heard say and tidbits from elderly neighbors!
Please let me know if I can help!
Sujata

Sujata has very accurately hit the nail on the head.

The problem is that most of us, young, or old do not know much about our roots and our culture, and what is known is hearsay and tidbits.

And what is coming out is not available in a very user-friendly format.

My stated objective for quite some time, was to see if we could get together like minded people who could devote some time, to the best of their ability, to :

1) Spreading a positive view of our rich cultural past among us Jats, young and old, which would then act as an inspiration to the rest..

2) The reason for the Jathistory group was to present it to Jats and non-Jats, and on forums like this, which are internal, to thrash out the different views.

To achieve this, is quite obviously beyond the capability of one person, but we do have a large number of knowledge people, whom we can get together.

It is very important to get our younger people involved in this activity, and to present the information to them in language they will understand.

I thus welcome the initiative Sujata has taken to come forward.

Fortunately for us, we have a number of knowledgeable people right here, starting with Dharampal Singh Dudhee, whose experience we can draw upon.

An example to follow is that of the Roma Gypsies- they have created academic sounding “Institutes”, Foundations, and learned looking books and articles.

They are now being quoted as references.

On our part, as we have few resources, we must use imagination.

Ideas are welcome, but if I may I will make a few suggestions.

1) We must use the power of the Internet.

2) We must encourage more and more people to create their web pages. I have recently comes across a few- Amita Sirohi, and Yagyavir Gawaar’ web pages. We need lots more.

3) We need articles, and books translated from Hindi to English and vice versa, and transferred to digital format, by scanning or typing.

4) The local Jat patrikas, which are printed locally, should and will have full access to all this material.

5) This is strictly not for profit operation.

6) Encourage friend’s and relatives to join and attach their e-mails to both groups.

I know Burdak ji takes a lot of interest, but does he have the time to translate the material?

If more people get involved, the task can be shared and be done quicker , easier.

Now ideas and feedback are very welcome.

Sujata for starters please go through the material on Jatland and the Jathistory group, take what you like, re write it in user-friendly format, post it and circulate it.

More later

Ravi Chaudhary

lrburdak
June 20th, 2003, 01:04 PM
Raviji,
You are absolutely right in suggesting the stategy. We have very limited material on jat history in the electronic form.I was surprised to see on the thread " Jats and Romas" that much less educated and suppressed comunities like Roma and Dom gypsies in Europe have wonderful web sites which give detailed informations.It is high time that we bring more and more authentic jat history and literature on internet.Internet is a very strong mediam and we should utilize it for the benefit of jat community. I have one more suggestion that on Jatland home page we have given only a list of gotras. we can make each gotra a clickable link to provide detailed history of that gotra.You will find that every jat gotra is a regime in itself.
regards,

ravichaudhary
June 20th, 2003, 06:46 PM
Laxman Burdak (Jun 20, 2003 03:34 a.m.):
Raviji,
You are absolutely right in suggesting the stategy. We have very limited material on jat history in the electronic form.I was surprised to see on the thread " Jats and Romas" that much less educated and suppressed comunities like Roma and Dom gypsies in Europe have wonderful web sites which give detailed informations.It is high time that we bring more and more authentic jat history and literature on internet.Internet is a very strong mediam and we should utilize it for the benefit of jat community. I have one more suggestion that on Jatland home page we have given only a list of gotras. we can make each gotra a clickable link to provide detailed history of that gotra.You will find that every jat gotra is a regime in itself.
regards,

As a start, why does everyperosn from every gotra write something abouit his/her gotra, origin, locality, customs,

start their own webpage

Infact the more people who get involved foe their own reasons and motivations the better.

I am against a one shoe fits all policy.

The more awareness the better.

We must get the message out, and for that the more people who get involved the better.

Evryone who wishes to do so, will have my full and complete support.

All material that I have is free to anyone, who wishes to use it.

Ravi

ranjitjat
June 21st, 2003, 12:46 AM
RAVI- SUJATA- LAXMAN JI
I am doing some research here in London.
i have lots of printable matter- materials. We can collect lots more from Btitish museums.
Our Shaheed dham trust can print-reprint any book in India.
i need lots of help for typing work.
I have a web page- but want to put more information on it.
Any help in computer & typing will be welcome.
We can do more research on jat gotaras-That is my main interest.
Last year Miss Ruchi Lamba helped me a lots to start my web site.
Jat history is my main interest. Writing is my hobby.
I am always ready and welling for community work. Any help co-operation & suggestion welcome.

kharub
June 21st, 2003, 10:59 PM
Dear Dudheeji, Raviji and Burdakji,

I congratulate you on this job that you have undertaken. I will like to thank you on behalf of the whole community.

I am very interested in helping out in any way my assistance be needed. I will be more than pleased, infact honoured to be able to be a part of this great deed.

Typing, translation any odd job. I promise you a very good job with translating though because i have got two language experts at home.

Raviji i would especially like to acknowledge the pains you have undertaken to track and document our glorious past.

Please drop me a line and let me know what i can help with specifically.

VJ Kharub