PDA

View Full Version : National Anthem Controversy

raj2rif
February 6th, 2005, 05:52 PM
Dear Members:
I would request members to post their views on this subject. I personally feel, that we should stand up in the honor of our national anthem. In miliraty, when we play retreat in the evening, all people irrespective of their rank, stand still where ever they are. I am sure, standing in the honor of National Anthem does not cost any thing. Even if one says how does the National Anthem gets honored by some one standing and gets disrespected if some one is sitting, I personally feel that even for the sake of tradition we must stand up in the honor of our national anthem.

INDORE: A revision petition challenging a local court order that not standing at attention during National Anthem cannot be considered as an 'obstruction', was filed in the district and sessions court on Saturday.

Challenging the order in the court of district and session judge, the counsel for the Tiranga Abhiyan, a non-governmental organisation, urged the court it will be a "serious legal mistake" to treat a person sitting during the National Anthem as not obstruction.

The counsel Shailendra Dwivedi said in the prevention of insult to the National Honour Act of 1971, it has been stated any obstruction during rendition of the National Anthem is a "disrespect" to the Anthem.

He said the lower court has not considered as obstruction while dismissing a petition against Railway Minister Lalu Prasad and Bihar Chief Minister Rabri Devi for being seated at the time of the playing of the National Anthem.

The Act has not described the "reasons for obstructions" and in that scenario the ruling of the lower court "is a serious legal mistake," Dwivedi said in his petition.

"If sitting and reading of a person is not an obstruction, when the other persons were standing in an attention position during the National Anthem, then other activities too like lying down, sleeping and eating will not be treated as obstruction during the National Anthem," he said.

Since the country is independent, it is the moral duty of every person to stand in the honour of the National Anthem and is more important for those occupying high posts in the country as people emulate them and their acts as role model, Dwivedi said.

He prayed to the court to quash the lower court order by taking cognizance of the facts mentioned in the petition on its merits.

The petition was filed on the basis of a photograph published in an eveninger on January 5, showing the couple sitting, while others were standing at attention when National Anthem was played at a function in Bihar.

The court has fixed February 7, as the next date of hearing in the case.

kulwant
February 6th, 2005, 06:23 PM
Sir,

Thousand logics and arguements can be given against the issue of showing Honor(just by standing) to the National Anthem.

But what I feel is that there are some symbolic gestures which are defined by we people to show our respect for various institutes and as well as for National Flag and National Anthem. And same way we show our respect to the National Anthem by standing in Attention when it is being played.

In my oppinion we must continue showing respect the way we have been doing earlier(means by standing in attention).

If a person like Laalu is commiting such a mistake, he must not be spared too.2

junnu
February 6th, 2005, 07:20 PM
Well said Viren and Kulwant bhai,
National Anthem should be respected above all. As little children we were tought that.I hope the schools are still teaching it.

When I first came to north America, I was shocked to see the casual treatment to national anthem...but then...I got used to it. After 9 11, even the americans have started feeling the pride in liberty, and I notice that more and more have their right hand across their hearts...I think this maybe be a responce and need to unite together.
India does not need a situation like that to make people understand the importance of freedom and hopefully the younger generation will continue the tradition of standing up in attention while the National Anthem is played.
Junnu

singhkapoor
February 6th, 2005, 07:22 PM
Guys!!!

I’d be surprised if Rabri is able to recite more than one line of the National Anthem; and Lalu is no better. It is QUITE POSSIBLE (although, I hope it's not so) that Lalau & Rabri did not know that it was the “National Anthem” that was being played.

They might have thought that everyone around them is standing and singing a song in praise of Rabri – “Rabri Chaalisa?” A few years ago, didn’t some bihari write a “Lalu Chaalisa”, on the lines of “Hanuman Chaalisa”, and wanted it to be sung in all Bihar schools??? There is no dearth of such servile self-seekers, esp. in Bihar. It's a pity that people have to resort to sycophancy to get anything done through the govt. machinery.

It’s SHAMEFUL!!! - But that’s the state of affairs. Who is to be blamed??....Each one of us.

devdahiya
February 6th, 2005, 08:24 PM
Dear Members:
I would request members to post their views on this subject. I personally feel, that we should stand up in the honor of our national anthem. In miliraty, when we play retreat in the evening, all people irrespective of their rank, stand still where ever they are. I am sure, standing in the honor of National Anthem does not cost any thing. Even if one says how does the National Anthem gets honored by some one standing and gets disrespected if some one is sitting, I personally feel that even for the sake of tradition we must stand up in the honor of our national anthem.

INDORE: A revision petition challenging a local court order that not standing at attention during National Anthem cannot be considered as an 'obstruction', was filed in the district and sessions court on Saturday.

Challenging the order in the court of district and session judge, the counsel for the Tiranga Abhiyan, a non-governmental organisation, urged the court it will be a "serious legal mistake" to treat a person sitting during the National Anthem as not obstruction.

The counsel Shailendra Dwivedi said in the prevention of insult to the National Honour Act of 1971, it has been stated any obstruction during rendition of the National Anthem is a "disrespect" to the Anthem.

He said the lower court has not considered as obstruction while dismissing a petition against Railway Minister Lalu Prasad and Bihar Chief Minister Rabri Devi for being seated at the time of the playing of the National Anthem.

The Act has not described the "reasons for obstructions" and in that scenario the ruling of the lower court "is a serious legal mistake," Dwivedi said in his petition.

"If sitting and reading of a person is not an obstruction, when the other persons were standing in an attention position during the National Anthem, then other activities too like lying down, sleeping and eating will not be treated as obstruction during the National Anthem," he said.

Since the country is independent, it is the moral duty of every person to stand in the honour of the National Anthem and is more important for those occupying high posts in the country as people emulate them and their acts as role model, Dwivedi said.

He prayed to the court to quash the lower court order by taking cognizance of the facts mentioned in the petition on its merits.

The petition was filed on the basis of a photograph published in an eveninger on January 5, showing the couple sitting, while others were standing at attention when National Anthem was played at a function in Bihar.

The court has fixed February 7, as the next date of hearing in the case.

My dear Virendra sir,

Symbolism is not the answer at all. Till such time we don't develop respect for such like important issues,law will be a sitting duck. It is the question of NATIONAL PRIDE........A few have it and most don't . Problem lies in attitude as people in india[AT LARGE] don't understand the correct meaning of freedom and liberty.Here might is right.What do you expect from our great politicians when they have successfully manipulated governance to their convenience and are hand-in-glow with criminals. Social fabric of this nation has been torn apart and open loot is on [every where].Values have eroded badly and public welfare is a joke out here. Justice is manipulated each day and stories are twisted to the whims of a handfuls.Here we have two questions.....SHOULD BE and WHAT IS BEING?One compliments another as SHOULD BE is related to ethos and is more governed by self discipline than the rule where as WHAT IS BEING is the consequence of the former. So my dear sir, BASICS ARE WRONG and no body wants to correct them and hence the PROBLEMS. IT IS A SHAME THAT WE CANT PAY RESPECT TO OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM. We as a nation lack pride and self esteem.