PDA

View Full Version : Noses

vivek
June 25th, 2003, 08:02 AM
This relates to jats, so I thought I would post it here :)

Nasal Index
The Nasal Index of Jats clearly shows that they are leptorrhine (thin-nosed) Caucasoids, distinguishable from the mainly mesorrhine Caucasoid Early Indo-Aryans :

Race Nasal Index Nasal Type

Indo-Aryan (Arya)
Brahman (Bengal) 70.3 sub-leptorrhine
Brahman (Bihar) 73.2 sub-leptorrhine
Brahman (Bhojpur) 74.6 sub-leptorrhine
Rajput 71.6 sub-leptorrhine
Kayasth (Bengal) 70.3 sub-leptorrhine
Jat 68.8 leptorrhine
Vaisya (Bania) 79.6 sub-leptorrhine
Gujjar 66.9 leptorrhine
Sikhs 68.8 leptorrhine [ Ris 28-9 ]

Sudroid (Indian Negroids, comprising Dalits and Dravidians)
Paniyans (Malabar) 95.1 platyrrhine
Santal 88.8 platyrrhine
Munda 89.9 platyrrhine
Kol 82.2 sub-platyrrhine
Kadia 89.8 platyrrhine
Vellala 73.1 sub-platyrrhine
Tamil Brahman 76.7 sub-platyrrhine
Asur (Lohardaga) 95.9 platyrrhine
Bhil 84.1 sub-platyrrhine
Pariah 80.0 sub-platyrrhine
Irula 80.9 sub-platyrrhine
Kadia 89.8 platyrrhine
Musahar 88.7 platyrrhine
Chamar 86.0 platyrrhine
Dom 83.0 sub-platyrrhine

-- [ Ris App. III p.395 ff ]

The above data, taken from one of the greatest anthropologists to have ever set foot in India, Sir. Risley, show that the Scythians have leptorrhine nasal indices, whilst Indo-Aryans fall into two categories : one mainly sub-leptorrhine and leptorrhine, comprising the Brahmins, Kayasthas and other Later Aryans, and the mesorrhine Outer Aryans comprising the Bhojpuric, Mithilic, Gaudic and Utkalic peoples. This physical feature is closely related to the brachycephalism (broad-headedness) displayed by most Early or Outer Indo-Aryans.

abhishek
June 25th, 2003, 11:39 PM
That was interesting.
I came through this article in an indian newspaper which had similar survey on the heights of indian males and I distinctly remember that jats had highest average height which was around 5 feets 9 inches.
Unfortunately I cant furnish a link to that article because it was like four or five years ago.
Anyways I think it is forgone conclusion that jats have superior physical features.