PDA

View Full Version : TOEFL Preparation

amarsirohi
February 16th, 2005, 06:28 PM
Dear Friends,

I am planning to give my TOEFL this year. I was looking around to find suitable study material. The existence of so much of the same has got me in a confused state of mind.

Any suggestions, based on your personal experience, on which books/publications (soft and hard format) are good for preparation?

Help will be appreciated.

Amar

anujkadyan
February 16th, 2005, 07:00 PM
Hi,
Well its a very basic exam so dont get confused by the amout of study material which is available.
Just stick to normal prep material of Kaplan/Arcos or Barons.. any one of these shuld be sufficient.

Apart from this you will get a Powere prep CD from ETS . That gives u the best replica of the actual exam.

So i will suggest u follow the following strategy:

Pick Question types and read about the various tricks to tackle them from Kaplan/Arcos etc.

Practise them in the CD tests available.

U have listening questions/ structure questions and reading comprehension.
With little bit of practise you shuld be able to do good.

In the end Take the power prep Tests.
You have to write an essay with in a time limit so incase you are slow on Keyboard you can practise that. Also you can read about the tricks of how to structure your essyas on various sites.

Hope that helps.
Best of luck
Anuj

mbamal
February 16th, 2005, 10:10 PM
Dear Friends,

I am planning to give my TOEFL this year. I was looking around to find suitable study material. The existence of so much of the same has got me in a confused state of mind.

Any suggestions, based on your personal experience, on which books/publications (soft and hard format) are good for preparation?

Amar

Hi Amar,

As Anuj has already pointed out, TOEFL is a very basic exam. Just do some practice tests using KAPLANs CDs. You can also practice few essays. The idea is not to make any "silly mistakes" and one should be attentive during exam. Its very common for people to score full marks in TOEFL, so take it easy.

Regards,
Mandeep

amarsirohi
February 17th, 2005, 08:40 PM
Hi Mandeep & Anuj,

Thanks for the advise. Lets see how well i do in TOEFL and then it is on to GMAT.....

Amar

jai_iitg
February 19th, 2005, 06:56 AM
Hi there,

truely Toefl tries to check out the general grasping of the language so take it in that stream only...i guess Anuj has rightly pointed out that aspect...with kaplan and powerprep Cd practice tests, you should be able to get somewhere 250-273 outta 300 marks, provided that you already posses the grammatical command...Though to cross this range you need to go an extra mile...keep it in mind that toefl tests your ability to do well in regard with "American english"...and this is really quite different from british english that we are used to practice... so try to schedule your preparation with all this in mind and also while you are going through readying your armor...

In sum, you don't have to practice only for toefl...I would reccomend that you better go for comprehensive preparation of Gre/Gmat whichever you are gonna go for...It would make you prepared for Toefl by default...and to get to know the pattern of this, you should use the powerprep tests in the end...
If it would be of help, I didn't study just for Toefl though, I used to read/listen to CNN and NYtimes... I studied the baron for my gre prep( its really not required for toefl !!)... you can also watch american Sitcoms like Friends, Latenight show with Jayleno or whatever interests you...cause i guess only part you can lose marks is the listening section... so all you need to do is to have a good command in general and then brush up that knowledge with help of kaplan/Powerprep tests and you can also download specific Toefl tests (all sections) with help of any P2P software like Kazza or limewire...
Hope it would be of help...Best of luck !!

Jai

jatgodara
June 4th, 2006, 03:40 PM
Who are you a TOFEL guru??????:rolleyes:

Hi there,

truely Toefl tries to check out the general grasping of the language so take it in that stream only...i guess Anuj has rightly pointed out that aspect...with kaplan and powerprep Cd practice tests, you should be able to get somewhere 250-273 outta 300 marks, provided that you already posses the grammatical command...Though to cross this range you need to go an extra mile...keep it in mind that toefl tests your ability to do well in regard with "American english"...and this is really quite different from british english that we are used to practice... so try to schedule your preparation with all this in mind and also while you are going through readying your armor...

In sum, you don't have to practice only for toefl...I would reccomend that you better go for comprehensive preparation of Gre/Gmat whichever you are gonna go for...It would make you prepared for Toefl by default...and to get to know the pattern of this, you should use the powerprep tests in the end...
If it would be of help, I didn't study just for Toefl though, I used to read/listen to CNN and NYtimes... I studied the baron for my gre prep( its really not required for toefl !!)... you can also watch american Sitcoms like Friends, Latenight show with Jayleno or whatever interests you...cause i guess only part you can lose marks is the listening section... so all you need to do is to have a good command in general and then brush up that knowledge with help of kaplan/Powerprep tests and you can also download specific Toefl tests (all sections) with help of any P2P software like Kazza or limewire...
Hope it would be of help...Best of luck !!

Jai

misguidedyouth
June 6th, 2006, 03:04 PM
Dear Friends,

Amar

well u can try the following may be it will be helpful

TOEFL Essay answers

Answers to All
TOEFL Essay
Questions

http://i4.tinypic.com/10ef18x.jpg

185 topics

Table of Contents
Topic 1 Why go to university?
Topic 185

link to book:
http://rapidshare.de/files/21091350/...0909e.rar.html

misguidedyouth
June 6th, 2006, 11:47 PM
3) Toefl Exams 1995-2004, Questions asked between 1995 and 2004

Toefl Exams 1995-2004
Questions asked between 1995 and 2004

Download :

CODE
http://rapidshare.de/files/1952738/T...-2004.rar.html

teotiakuldeep
June 27th, 2006, 04:04 PM
can please tell me abt this toefl and gmat test ,what they are all about.