PDA

View Full Version : deeg was a taunt for us:col skinner

rajendersingh
August 10th, 2003, 09:29 PM
dear all ,i was just going through a very rare book:military memoirs of lieut. col. james skinner, c. b. by j baillie fraser,esq.
as many of us know about the exploits of col james skinner. his father hercules was the one who came to india, and married a rajput lady. there the true story starts.james and roberts were two sons of hercules.i am going to write about james the prominent one.
james joined marathas and he was not considered at par with white sahibs because of his skin.after serving the marathas he had to join the company. the famous gen lake was the one under whom he fought all the battles henceforth.
col james skinner whose regiment is known as skinners horse as on date in indian army, did very well in all those years of termoil for the english.
in this book every battle ,even the smallest one is described in detail.he talks very high of gen lake and why not he got india to them.

in this book when deeg is discussed, skinner says that DEEG WAS A TAUNT FOR THEM FOR MANY YEARS .it is the only battle about which no detailes is given .to hide that taunt gore sahib ensured that comming generations should never know the truth.simply by not writing any thing about it

ravichaudhary
August 11th, 2003, 09:37 PM
Can You scan the book

Ravi

lrburdak
August 13th, 2003, 11:43 AM
Rajenderji Namaskar !
Thanks for sharing historical facts.Now it is high time that we should bring the true facts on record for future generations.
regards,

jagmohan
September 3rd, 2003, 03:34 PM
Dear Friends,

Yes. DEEG was an impregnable fort indeed. If my memory about military history serves me right, DEEG fort was made from mud (Maati) and it held on for 21 years before the JATS got fed up defending it again and again. It was captured in the end but at a great cost to the attackers. That is why no English historian or General talks about it.

It has been a tragedy of sorts that our history was not authenticated by any historian of repute. We have works of Dr Bhim Singh Dahiya, which are noteworthy. However, we seem to lack the stamp of approval, if any was needed, of a known historian. Though we actually don't need it. The fact of the matter is that JATS have been a matter of great pain to the so called Mogul - Rajput - British rulers. No one has been able to rule over us or tame us. Our presence, infact occupation, if I can use this term, of the most fertile land in Asia (Indo - Gangetic plains) is a proof of everything we stand for. Whether we came from Central Asian plains or went to those areas dosen't really matter. And when I say all this, I also include the Muslims of Persia and Christians of Europe. We all know that Mahmud Gaznavi was repeatedly looted by the JATS of Multan whenever he returned from India after looting Somnath.

What is important today is not what we were but what we are today. Have we been able to take advantage of what history has naturally given us? This question needs serious introspection by us all. Communities which started from scratch have overtaken us in many aspects. Some through hard work (Sikhs - Though they are JATS only) and others by 'every which way' (Refugees). The only way we can pay homage to our forefathers who have placed us in such an advantageous position, geographically and strategically, is to strive to uplift our community. Let us all educate the less fortunate in our community. Let each one of us make a difference to at least one other person. It is not difficult.

The more we think about this, nearer we would get to the ways and means of doing things and making a difference. Otherwise, we have come and will go away on the given day without doing anything, like millions of others who do not know why are they here for in any case.

Let us remember our glorious history and join hands to make the future of our children even brighter. It is not difficult.

JAT BALWAN, JAI BHAGWAN

Lt Col JS Malik (Retd)
Mumbai, INDIA