PDA

View Full Version : From pages of history

ranjitjat
September 4th, 2003, 03:49 AM
These doors were soaked with the blood of Marathas
Our Correspondent

Panipat, September 3
Even hundred years after Pandit Shagun Chand Rais of Uggrakheri village in Panipat presented a doorway to Queen Victoria one is reminded of the historical significance of the black mango tree, which was used to make this door.

Of the two doors made, the other was fixed in Gandhi Memorial hall, (formerly Victoria Memorial Hall) in Karnal and subsequently, shifted to the Panipat Museum. According to historical details available, the mango tree was sprinkled by the blood of innumerable Maratha warriors during the Third Battle of Panipat.

The unique Victoria Memorial Hall, now known as Gandhi Memorial Hall, was constructed in the early part of the 20th century in Karnal district.

The door was handed over to the “Battle of Panipat Memorial Society”, and is now kept in the Panipat Museum.

This tree itself is connected with an historical event. During the years 1740 to 1761, Chatrapati Sahu ruled Maharashtra and under the leadership of the third Peshwa, Balaji Bajee Rao, the Marathas wanted to extend their rule to the whole of India. In 1756 Ahmad Shah Abdali invaded India and plundered the area around Mathura. In between, the Afghan invaders had developed a powerful centre at Kunjpura (now known as Karnal). But the Marathas under the leadership of Sada Shiv Rav Sahu, attacked Kunjpura, arrested the Afghan sardars and brought the area under their rule.

On the other side, the Afghan invader Ahmad Shah Abdali reached Sonepat and was engaged in a fierce battle with the Marathas. In the battle, the elder son of Peshwa, Vishwa Rao, was killed, which disheartened the Marathas, leading to their defeat. Almost 70,000 Marathas were killed in the battle on January 14, 1761. It is stated that this mango tree on this battlefield was soaked in the blood of the Marathas. Subsequently, the colour of the mango tree turned black when it dried up and the area came to be known as “Kala Amb”.

Much later, the famous poet of the area, Pandit Shagun Chand Rais, used the wood of ‘Kala Amb’ to make two doorways. One of the doorways was presented to Queen Victoria on her arrival in India in 1903. The second door was kept in Victoria Memorial Hall, Karnal, now known as Gandhi Memorial Hall.

In 2001, this doorway was brought back to Panipat and displayed at the Panipat Museum to perpetuate the memory of the Marathas killed in the “Kala Amb” area in the Third Battle of Panipat.

vikrantsiwag
September 4th, 2003, 03:32 PM
Dear Dudee Uncle.
Thanks a lot for providing such an information about place Kala amb and sacrifice of marathas.I think Dudee Uncle is an ocean of informations.what other readers think about this?
thnks again and please keep on providing such informations....

Vikrant.

rajendersingh
September 4th, 2003, 08:51 PM
chachaji, ram ram, thanks for the information . we would like more information and more history from u .hope u will do the needful

yvsgaawar
September 4th, 2003, 09:03 PM
No doubt about it. Thanks for the information Dudee ji.

vikrant siwag (Sep 04, 2003 06:02 a.m.):
Dear Dudee Uncle.
I think Dudee Uncle is an ocean of informations.what other readers think about this?

Vikrant.

ranjitjat
September 25th, 2003, 05:27 PM
Dear Major Rajender . Vikrant and Yagyavir. RAMRAM
Thank you very much for the interest in History.
As you all know Maharaja Surajmal - Maharani Mata Kisori and SARAVKHAP PANCHAYAT army played a great part in this war.
So the public of Haryana.
Sadashiv rao Bhauu the maratha general became sadhu and his Samadhi is in village Sanghi.
BHAUU KI KI LOOT BHI FAMOUS HAE.
GOLD COINS- MOHAR ASARAFI SY BHARI GADHI
DEEGAL GAUM KY JAT KY PAAR- FARM MAE AAGAE- JAT BECAME ONE OF THE RICHEST IN HARYANA.
SO BHAUU KI LOOT KI KAHAWAT PARSIDH HO GAE.
AUR YAH MISAL BHI
ISA BHAG KIT JAT KA KI- JO GADHI PAAR MAE AWA.
CHEERS

jagmohan
September 26th, 2003, 09:29 AM
Dudee Ji Saheb and Friends,

RAM RAM,

I had come across a reference while studying history of JATS. This gives some insight into the life and times of Maharaja Suraj Mal. It is called 'Maharaja Suraj Mal - Sujan Charitra (1707-1763) - written by Sudan and published by Benaras Nagri Pracharan Sabha. I don't know whether it is a book or a magazine. I have not been able to find it. If any member has any knowledge of this publication, please share it with others.

May I also write a few lines about the 'Third Battle of Panipat', since it is very important from Military History point of view. I will keep it short.

The Marathas were advised by Raja Suraj Mal, and rightly so, not to fight the Mughals in the plains of Punjab because the Mughal Army had better artillery and horsemen. They were advised to fight them in the Aravali Hills (That extend right upto South West of Delhi) and engage the enemy and defeat them through the 'Guerilla Tactics', which was the stong point of the Marathas at that time and a legacy of Shivaji Maharaj. However, as always the Marathas did not heed the advise of the JATS and perished at Panipat and surrounding areas. Raja Suraj Mal did not take direct part in the battle that followed. The Marathas who survived took to the hills of Kumaon and Garhwal. Some got mixed up even in the rural areas of Haryana.

Another tit bit on the Maratha - JAT connection. When I was in 10th standard (Sainik School Bijapur, Karnataka), way back in 1974, our class visited Aurangabad, Ajanta-Ellora and National Defence Academy. In Aurangabad the 'Bibi Ka Makbara', called 'Poor man's Taj Mahal' and 'Panchakki' are must see. At panchakki we were troubling the tour guide by asking him all funny questions, like some students do. He was telling us how the water was brought to the Panchakki from the mountains nearby and the existence of a network of siphon system etc etc. We asked him "Where does the water go from here"? We were shocked and surprised when he told us "It goes towards JATWADA". Some of us went to the JATWADA, which is not very far from there, and met the local people. Thought they don't speak JAATU and have adapted themselves totally to the local customs and culture, yet their features were and hopefully still are typical JATS. I remember they told us that theie forefathers were JATS who had come alongwith Aurangzeb's Army for the Deccan campaign and settled here

Even today in Maharashtra a lot of surnames are same or similar to the JATS. 'More' is a common surname in Maharashtra and some say it is derived from MOR. I don't know maybe someone more knowledgeable person could throw some light into this.

Keep finding out about your history for those who forget history are doomed.

RAM RAM

Lt Col JS Malik (Retd)
JAT BALWAN, JAI BHAGWAN

ranjitjat
September 29th, 2003, 05:40 PM
Dear Col Malik sahib.
Thank you for the information. Yes there are lots of jats in Maharastra.
Our SARAVKHAP JATHISTORY said. SHIVAJI WAS A JAT.

jitenderhooda
September 30th, 2003, 01:34 PM
Really Good informations by Mr Jagmohan Ji and Dharampal Ji .

Yes these two are the treasures of good informations at this Jatland.

Please carry on such valuable info's.

Jiten

jitenderhooda
September 30th, 2003, 01:38 PM
Really Good informations by Mr Jagmohan Ji and Dharampal Ji .

Yes these two are the treasures of good informations at this Jatland.

Please carry on such valuable info's.

Jiten

ravichaudhary
October 1st, 2003, 12:11 AM
[quote]Jagmohan Singh Malik (Sep 25, 2003 11:59 p.m.):
Dudee Ji Saheb and Friends,

RAM RAM,

I had come across a reference while studying history of JATS.
May I also write a few lines about the 'Third Battle of Panipat',

Lt Col JS Malik (Retd)

For Mahrattas and Jats and the battle of Panipat please see also:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/message/53

Dr Bal Kishan Dabas did some wonderful research. Is anyone able to contact him ?

Ravi