PDA

View Full Version : The Traditional Date Of Asoka Maurya

ravichaudhary
September 23rd, 2003, 02:40 AM
Dr. Kalyanraman has drawn our attention to a scholarly article by Dr Sundara.

The articles questions the established dates of the Ashok Maurya, and (naturally the Maurya Dynasty).
The Maurya dynasty is conventionally dated, about 320 BCE, about the date of the Invasion of Alexander.

Else where, many including me, have been questioning the equivalence of Sandrokottus = Chandragupta, for prima facie it does appear more than a little difficult to derive the latter from the former.

And according to many historians, Chandra Gupta is actually Chandra – Gut. and they are jats.
According to this article, the dates for the Mauryas would be pushed back to 1200 BCE

> Ditto for the Brahmi writing script.

This would also mean there was no long break from the Harappa Civilization, but rather a continuous evolution.

The file is uploaded in the files section as a file titled: see msg 929

The Traditional Date Of Asoka Maurya

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/message/930

Ravi

A version of this paper appeared in the last but one issue of Puratattva. In my view, this is a major contribution to our understanding of the chronology of Bharatiya Itiha_sa. Dr. Adiga Sundara was the Head of the Department of Archaeology and Ancient Indian History in Karnataka University, Dharwar.
Kalyanaraman

The Traditional Date Of Asoka Maurya : Archaeological Evidences In
Karnataka : A Consideration

A.Sundara*

amitrajora
September 23rd, 2003, 03:10 PM
The following are my frank views and not meant to offend anyone :-
if alexander=sikander
istanbul=constantinople
and many other such variations then chandragupta=sandrokottus is also highly probable.
and what is the relation between chandra gupta and jats ?
i think the guptas will be even more eager to claim him as one of their own.
even 1200 BC would give us a long break from the harappan civilization

ravichaudhary
September 24th, 2003, 12:03 AM
There is nothing that you have written, on which someone should take offence.

This is research and in this context, historical research, and discussion and questions is what it is all about, and from that to reconstruct the History of the Jats.

With recent research, the dates of Harappan Civilization, (now increasingly referred to as the Sindu Saraswati Civilization), have been amended.

It is no longer thought that the civilization ended circa 2000 BCE, but carried on, well in to the 1700 BCE, and further. This civilization is also found to have spread to what is now UP, Meerut, Saharanpur, and Haryana, and overall the area is much larger than the Mesopotamian Civilization.

The civilization then does not die out but survives, and evolves.

According to conventional History (as we were taught) there is a long break, and only about the 6th century BCE does civilization in India make a comeback. It is generally accepted now tha this model does not hold water, and history texts are being revised accordingly.

This also has a bearing on the written script, for the evolution appears to be there from the Harappan script to the Brahmi script. It is one thing to have a break for 1600 years, or to have a continuous evolution.

On names, again this is a matter of how language changes affect various words in various languages.

In Persia, an S is added to many words, or an A. and so the shift from Alexander to Sikander, or Iskander, in not unexpected. As far as I know the Indian Histories, the Puranas do not know Alexander or Sikander.

The word “Gupta” is a later Pali-ized or Sanskritized form of pronouncing what was spoken as “ Gut”. The early second “Guptas” wrote of themselves as “ GUT- asya” in their early seals. This later changed to the form “Gupta”.

Their clan name is Dharan (not Gupta), which is a Jat Gotra.

The first Mauryas are also Jats, for their Clan name Maur, Maurya, is still found today among the Jats.

The term “ Gupta” does not denote a “ Bania”, but “is a suffix” denoting “ Defender, or Rakshak”

There is some material here in the archives of this site, and much in the Archives of the Jat History Group.

Search for Maurya.

Look also at B S Dahiya’s scholarly article.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/message/689

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/message/444

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/JatHistory/message/79, 81, 82

Do also visit the files section.

Do join the group too, we can use the constructive criticism.

Best regards

Ravi Chaudhary

rajendersingh
September 24th, 2003, 08:36 AM
ravi ji namaskar,
thank for sharing the information.it is indeed an insight in thr real history.

ravichaudhary
September 25th, 2003, 02:22 AM
Rajender Singh (Sep 23, 2003 11:06 p.m.):
ravi ji namaskar,
thank for sharing the information.it is indeed an insight in thr real history.

Rajendraji,

As you know , mine is a very small effort.

The original work is done by people like Thakur Desraj, B.S. Dahiya, Hukam Singh Pauria, and Shri Dharampal Dudhee.

It is thanks to pioneers and giants like these , that we have some inkling of our past.

People like me can only spread the information, and request the cooperation of others to join in and help enlighten our Jat community, especially our youngsters, about their rich past.

Ravi

amitrajora
September 26th, 2003, 12:10 PM
Raviji namaskar !
Thank you for your enlightening views and information.
I have not been able to access the recommended links for jat history as lately there seems to be some problem with yahoo groups.
Please keep up the good work and keep us updated with jat history and indian history in general.