PDA

View Full Version : NAVRATTAN- BIRBAL

ranjitjat
October 6th, 2003, 04:39 PM
Birbal’s descendant runs a tea sho

Boodhia (Yamunanagar) October 5
In a quirk of fate, Ashok Kumar Bhatt, a descendant of Birbal, one of the Navratnas in the court of Emperor Akbar, runs a tea shop in the local Boodhia market. A nondescript place, one can hardly imagine that the man preparing tea and sweetmeats is the 14th descendant of Birbal.

Mr Bhatt is assisted by his two sons in running the shop. The penury of the family is evident from the fact that it does not own the tea shop. “This shop is rented,” Mr Bhatt said as he prepared tea for the waiting customers.

Mr Bhatt said Birbal had constructed an abode in Boodhia. “Birbal built “Rang Mahal”. It is said that Rang Mahal was built in one day and night only. Birbal had built it as Emperor Akbar was supposed to visit Boodhia. “We have been told that Akbar stayed in Rang Mahal for about a month,” he said. Mr Bhatt lamented the fact that no government department has ever taken interest in reviving the rich legacy of Birbal. “It could have been a matter of pride for Haryana as Birbal belonged to this place but nobody has taken any interest,” he said.

He stated that his father, Mr Mangat Ram, used to ply a tonga. “We were not well off. My father had learnt to handle a tonga at a young age and he continued to ply it all his life. In the evening of his life, he decided to open a tea shop here,” he said. “My brother runs a rehri and sells jalebi,” he added.

When Mr Ashok Kumar Bhatt’s father opened the tea shop, there was no other tea shop in the vicinity. Today, there are a number of tea shops giving tough competition.

“I vividly recall that till a few decades ago, people used to visit our home to meet the descendants of Birbal. Gradually, people stopped coming and we are now practically living in oblivion.

Mr Bhatt pointed out that he is not seeking any money. “I feel bad not for the fact that I do not have money but that a person like Birbal’s stature has been forgotten by the people,” he said.

Incidentally, Rang Mahal is in bad shape. It is difficult to reach Rang Mahal as it is surrounded by sugarcane and paddy fields.

The double-storeyed square-shaped structure with arches and columns has begun to crumble.

The columns have beautiful paintings the colours of which are still vivid even though a few centuries have gone by since Rang Mahal was built. Unfortunately, most paintings have been lost as people have defaced these columns.

There used to be a well and an underground tunnel going up to it in Rang Mahal. Both have been closed down by local people. Even land of Rang Mahal seems to have been encroached upon since there is no road leading up to the structure. There is a thick growth of weeds around the building.

The descendants of Birbal have expressed helplessness in maintaining Rang Mahal. “We can’t bear the cost of looking after Rang Mahal. The government should make efforts to ensure that Rang Mahal comes back to its former glory,” Mr Ashok Kumar Bhatt stated.

HIstory repeats itself.

rkumar
October 6th, 2003, 05:00 PM
Thank you Dudee Sahib. I looked through Haryana Goverment web site if they have the emails of Chief Minister office or other concerned officials. May be we can forward such important matters to them. I am sure Haryana Tourism may be interested in developing the Rang Mahal as a tourist spot. May be some Jatland member can find out the email addresses of Haryana Govt officials. Later on some one of us can follow up the matter with authorities.

Regards
Rajendra

rajendersingh
October 6th, 2003, 09:05 PM
dudee ji namaskar,
a great information,would u be kind enough to enlighten us where exactly is the place?

sanjaychhikara
October 6th, 2003, 10:00 PM
Bhaisaab ram ram, i belive its in Yamunanagar see in maps,

it would be great if it is reconstructed again in the old glory it used to be once

with regards

for a photo have a look at http://www.tribuneindia.com/2003/20031006/haryana.htm

Rajender Singh (Oct 06, 2003 11:35 a.m.):
dudee ji namaskar,
a great information,would u be kind enough to enlighten us where exactly is the place?

ranjitjat
October 6th, 2003, 10:26 PM
Dear Major Rajender- Rajender ji and all RAMRAM
This is in Yamunanagar Haryana as shown by Sanjay.

Boodiya Khera Or village is itself a Historical site. No one want to know. This is one of the oldest villages- possibley before MahaBharata-war. That,s what we heard.
E-mail or phone to CM would not work in Haryana- only personal contact or public pressure may work.
Cheers

bnashier
October 7th, 2003, 02:24 AM
Rajendra & Dharmpal Ji:

The chief minister is busy installing statues and other stuff for Mr. Devi Lal. He has no time for historic things like Birbal's Rang Mahal.

lrburdak
October 7th, 2003, 12:22 PM
Dharmpalji thanks for sharing such a valuable historical information.It is a matter of great concern as the historical monuments are lost in the history. There is no system developed to maintain the historical places.Now-a-days works are being done only on the directions of politicians. Pliticians are onlly motivated by vote banks.Media can play important role.If things are brought to light by the media, probably system may move.

itsnavin
October 7th, 2003, 01:51 PM
I visited RangMahal some 4 years back with one of friend's in Yamuna Nagar. It was nothing more than a 'Khundhar' at that time. No paintings or crafts could be seen even at that time. I can imagine its shape today. I think its too late for its revival. Moreover our chiefminister has deep interests to save his govt. than to save these monuments.
Baaki dekho...Jat ki jab tak terahnwi na ho jaye...tab tak mara hua matt samajho...